• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ICJ case against Israel could finally empower the genocide convention

libre

Skylark
Title is from the Guardian: ICJ case against Israel could finally empower the genocide convention.

Interesting excerpt below:
Before the Gambian precedent, the ICJ had rarely considered genocide issues. In 2007, the court ruled that Serbia had failed to prevent the 1995 genocide at Srebrenica in Bosnia and Herzegovina, a case of a victim taking an alleged perpetrator to court, but it has never yet held a state responsible for the commission of genocide. A case brought by Ukraine against Russia in February 2022 continues.

Genocide convictions have been passed down by other courts, like The Hague war crimes tribunals for Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia, and the international criminal court has jurisdiction in genocide cases, but those courts pursue trials of individuals and after the fact, when the dead are already buried.

Seems like a good development to me. It seems to me that there is a greater value in determining if something is genocidal earlier in the conflict rather than after the fact.
"It could take the court years to make a ruling, but it could also issue “provisional measures” requiring actions, like a ceasefire, to mitigate the risk of genocide."

Bthoth

*banned*
Title is from the Guardian: ICJ case against Israel could finally empower the genocide convention.

Interesting excerpt below:

Seems like a good development to me. It seems to me that there is a greater value in determining if something is genocidal earlier in the conflict rather than after the fact.
"It could take the court years to make a ruling, but it could also issue “provisional measures” requiring actions, like a ceasefire, to mitigate the risk of genocide."
Who will be charged? Anything israeli? The big bibi nutlessyahoo? US for blindly allowing it?

If anything israel, is charged with war crimes, does that mean 'anti semitic' tropes will ensue next? When will the bigots end the use of that term, just because mankind is not going to allow a genocide?

There is no doubt that an atrocity is occurring in palestine. It's been ongoing for many decades and must end.

"We' live in a nuclear age and eventually the other team will get a nasty weapon. Combine that reality with the samson option of the weak minded and that is one hot day.