• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ich habe eine Frage an die deutschsprachigen Mitglieder von RF

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Kannst du eine deutsche Fernsehserie empfehlen, in der ich beim Erlernen der deutschen Sprache einige Hörfähigkeiten erlernen kann?

You can answer in English but it would be good for me to learn to read and understand your answer if you choose to answer back in your native German language :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I understand German far better than I can speak it. It would take me some time and effort to respond any further or deeper than "Ich verstehe Dich."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Really, I need some Germans to practice it with so I can exhaust them over correcting me and my--what many of them have called--"sehr Amerikanisch" German.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Really, I need some Germans to practice it with so I can exhaust them over correcting me and my--what many of them have called--"sehr Amerikanisch" German.
I am in a situation where I know my next job will include knowing the German language, so this is one reason why I choose to learn it now. So yes to be able to practice it is very important :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am in a situation where I know my next job will include knowing the German language, so this is one reason why I choose to learn it now. So yes to be able to practice it is very important :)
I wish you luck. It's really not too terribly hard to learn, and in my experience Germans are often helpful in understanding their language and saying things right. And if you do happen to say stuff funny or in a weird order, they will usually still be able to understand what it is you're trying to say.
I also like how literal their language is and how blunt they are.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I wish you luck. It's really not too terribly hard to learn, and in my experience Germans are often helpful in understanding their language and saying things right. And if you do happen to say stuff funny or in a weird order, they will usually still be able to understand what it is you're trying to say.
Thank you :) Yes it is true that the German language is not to difficult especially since my native language is Norwegian, and German and Norwegian is fairly close to each other :)

Skwim

Veteran Member

All Good Germans speak German
Nazis spoke German

Nazis were good Germans​

That about it?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

All Good Germans speak German
Nazis spoke German

Nazis were good Germans​

That about it?

They're very...unique;)

Eng
Science
Fr Science
Sp Ciencia
It Scienza
Ger Naturwissenschaften

Eng
Pressure
Fr Préssion
Sp Presión
It Pressione
Ger Druck

Eng Animals
Fr Animaux
Sp Animales
It Animali
Ger Tiere

dianaiad

I have noticed...well, my daughter and sister have noticed...that people who speak languages other than English can be very helpful to those who are honestly and earnestly attempting to learn. Both girls came back from their 'adventures in other lands" with the same story. They would try saying something, and at the look of incomprehension followed by a dawning of understanding came over the one to whom they were speaking, would say "is that a word?" The answer would invariably be: "It is now."

As for me, I speak five languages. Early English, (Beowulf) middle English, (Chaucer) modern English, (Shakespeare) contemporary English (e.e.cummings, et all, plus you guys) and a wee bit of very early French (the sort that went with early English). I keep trying to learn Spanish, and it keeps eluding me.

For one thing, I get really distracted by wondering exactly how contemporary English SOUNDS to other people. For instance, I find Italian to be liquid and lovely to listen to...German is gutteral and harsh, Spanish is also a liquid, flowing language. Mandarin and other Asian languages seems to be too fast and too high pitched, demanding too much on inflection and tone for easy comprehension. The problem is, English is a Germanic language with a French vocabulary, which would make IT gutteral to the ear of a, say, native Italian speaker.

I think. What would I know? I speak English. ...and English has very different dialects, as well; the UK has a bunch of 'em, Australia has it's own, the American south has more than one, and don't get me started on 'western.'

I would love to learn to read and write German. Not sure I'd want to learn to speak it. English makes my throat hurt enough.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I have noticed...well, my daughter and sister have noticed...that people who speak languages other than English can be very helpful to those who are honestly and earnestly attempting to learn. Both girls came back from their 'adventures in other lands" with the same story. They would try saying something, and at the look of incomprehension followed by a dawning of understanding came over the one to whom they were speaking, would say "is that a word?" The answer would invariably be: "It is now."

As for me, I speak five languages. Early English, (Beowulf) middle English, (Chaucer) modern English, (Shakespeare) contemporary English (e.e.cummings, et all, plus you guys) and a wee bit of very early French (the sort that went with early English). I keep trying to learn Spanish, and it keeps eluding me.

For one thing, I get really distracted by wondering exactly how contemporary English SOUNDS to other people. For instance, I find Italian to be liquid and lovely to listen to...German is gutteral and harsh, Spanish is also a liquid, flowing language. Mandarin and other Asian languages seems to be too fast and too high pitched, demanding too much on inflection and tone for easy comprehension. The problem is, English is a Germanic language with a French vocabulary, which would make IT gutteral to the ear of a, say, native Italian speaker.

I think. What would I know? I speak English. ...and English has very different dialects, as well; the UK has a bunch of 'em, Australia has it's own, the American south has more than one, and don't get me started on 'western.'

I would love to learn to read and write German. Not sure I'd want to learn to speak it. English makes my throat hurt enough.
Are you sure it is not five ways to speak English, and not five different languages :confused:?

dianaiad

Are you sure it is not five ways to speak English, and not five different languages :confused:?

Hmnn.

OK.

These are the opening lines to Beowulf. Notice the Modern English wording, the early English text in the background, and the verbal reading.

Do you think they are the same language?

The original text and the verbal are a LOT closer to high German than the translation is. ;)

The jokes are better, too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I understand German far better than I can speak it. It would take me some time and effort to respond any further or deeper than "Ich verstehe Dich."
Ich habe gutenklagen Fensterlein mit uberschloogenden panzchen Kuchen.
Etwas kleine Schnakenbergen ohne Nachtiglucken und spiesen Machinenfabrik
Gesellschriften kaput.

Last edited: