• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Iceland Could Become first Country to Ban Male Circumcision"

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Iceland could become the first country in Europe to ban male circumcision, prompting criticism from religious groups about the ritual practiced in both Judaism and Islam.

The legislation being debated by Iceland’s Parliament would impose a six-year jail term on anyone who “removes part or all of (a child’s) sexual organs” for nonmedical reasons.

“It’s an attack on freedom of religion,” Ahmad Seddeeq, the Egyptian-born imam of the Islamic Cultural Center of Iceland, said Monday (Feb. 19).

Iceland outlawed female genital mutilation in 2005, in line with other nations, to prevent procedures that intentionally alter or injure female genital organs for nonmedical reasons.

“We are talking about children’s rights, not about freedom of belief,” she said when she introduced the bill in early February. “Everyone has the right to believe in what they want, but the rights of children come above the right to believe.”

About 336,000 people live in Iceland, including 250 Jews and 1,500 Muslims, according to government statistics and Seddeeq.

The religious ritual of male circumcision, or removing the foreskin from the penis, generally occurs shortly after birth, during childhood or around puberty as a rite of passage. Jews and Muslims typically circumcise their sons to confirm or mark their relationship with God.

In the United States, 98 percent of Jewish men are circumcised, according to the world agency [the World Health Organization]. The organization also said there is substantial evidence that male circumcision protects against diseases, such as urinary tract infections, syphilis, invasive penile cancer and HIV.
source

So, is the prohibition of circumcision really an unjustified attack on freedom of religion?

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I am for the most part opposed to ritual circumcision, but I'm not sure how to feel about this. I know it is a deeply meaningful practice for a lot of people. I've often thought it would be sufficient to let out of country doctors from somewhere like Israel come in and do the procedure as a form of discouragement? I have to be honest with myself though that this would place poorer Jews and Muslims in a hard spot.

I feel like there's no easy or simple answer to this issue. Because I cannot in good conscience support the practice at the same time. I do think it is unnecessary.

Altfish

Veteran Member
What I have never understood is why the god of creation couldn't make babies born circumcised?
If it is so important to him, why make babies suffer?

Skwim

Veteran Member
So in Iceland prostitution is legal but participating in divinely established covenant by circumcising is not.
Are you implying that secular laws should abide by a particular religion's agreements with its god?

Also:
"In April 2009, the Icelandic Parliament passed new legislation that makes paying for sex illegal.
Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This is a case of outsiders telling parents what to do, and if Iceland decides to go that way its their country. Maybe it will work for them. Time will tell.
It's certainly one way to curb Muslim and Jewish immigration, I'll give them that.

Wikipedia said:
"In 2009, paying for sex was outlawed, criminalizing the clients, while selling sex remained decriminalized."
So you can sell sexual service but you just can't pay for them? Ludicrous just found new meaning, methinks.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So you can sell sexual service but you just can't pay for them? Ludicrous just found new meaning, methinks.
It's a strange twist to be sure, but is explained as

"The "government argues most people who solicit sex do so because they have no other choice or because they are forced into prostitution by others. By making soliciting sex legal, the government believes individuals who have been forced into prostitution would rather come forward and lead police to those responsible."
Source: Wikipedia​

In effect, it still makes sex with a prostitute illegal.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's a strange twist to be sure, but is explained as

"The "government argues most people who solicit sex do so because they have no other choice or because they are forced into prostitution by others. By making soliciting sex legal, the government believes individuals who have been forced into prostitution would rather come forward and lead police to those responsible."
Source: Wikipedia​

In effect, it still makes sex with a prostitute illegal.

You know, a way around this would be to simply give them a monetary gift.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

It's called the Swedish Model for dealing with prostitution, and from what I understand, it's pretty effective in practice at it.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I think at some point, there will be laws against child circumcision in most countries. At least there will be if the European Enlightenment continues to advance.
I'm just glad they have managed to solve all their other problems and finally got around to this earth shatteringly important topic.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm just glad they have managed to solve all their other problems and finally got around to this earth shatteringly important topic.

You make it sound like Icelandic folks can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Child mutilation isn't important? Okay, I guess we know how you line up your priorities.