• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ICE Feeds Muslim Detainees Pork

Cooky

Veteran Member
I have received a communication from the Center for Freethought Equality (to which I belong) -- I haven't yet checked its veracity, but I believe it is probably accurate.

"An ICE detention facility in Miami is offering Muslim detainees a choice: eat spoiled food or eat fresh pork.

This disgusting violation of the free exercise clause is part of a larger pattern of behavior: the American Constitution Society reports that Muslim, Catholic, and Hindu internees have also been denied the right to worship -- and have had requests for beads, prayer rugs, and religious texts flatly refused.

Reportedly, when one Somali immigrant asked why their First Amendment rights were being denied, an official responded: “Boy, you’re in Glades County.” The immigrant’s response: “But isn’t Glades County in America?”

Congressional Freethought Caucus co-chair Jared Huffman has joined 28 other lawmakers in penning a letter to the Department of Homeland Security, demanding an investigation into this unconstitutional abuse."

I believe this to be a serious issue, and totally unconcionable, even though I am an atheist. And my understanding is that most atheists think like I do about this.

Your thoughts?

Aaawwwwww..... :worried:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What happen to the coconut :confused: i am still waiting for answer to my last question :confused:
Coconut where are you..... did my last question hit you to hard in your coconut :confused:

Cooky

Veteran Member
It is not an altogether bad thing to be able to empathize with others -- even those whose religion you don't happen to believe.

I'll pass on that. I'm not required to have "empathy" by any laws or rules. And so I'll pick and choose situation by situation, and not by tribe or pack.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll pass on that. I'm not required to have "empathy" by any laws or rules. And so I'll pick and choose situation by situation, and not by tribe or pack.
No. There is no law. But when your empathy is impaired it makes navigating society and social situations especially difficult and confusing. Hence why those with Aspergers are often un-and-underemployed and have very little to no social networks and support.
There is no law to have it, but it is extremely important for socializing, gaining meaningful relationships with others, and even getting ahead at work.

Cooky

Veteran Member
No. There is no law. But when your empathy is impaired it makes navigating society and social situations especially difficult and confusing. Hence why those with Aspergers are often un-and-underemployed and have very little to no social networks and support.
There is no law to have it, but it is extremely important for socializing, gaining meaningful relationships with others, and even getting ahead at work.

But you did catch the main part about what I was saying right? About not picking empathy based on group affiliation, giving special attention to special groups?

To serve inmates special food because they're from a special group is more than empathy, it's intrinsically biased.

A better method for fairness is equality across the board. All for all.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To serve inmates special food because they're from a special group is more than empathy, it's intrinsically biased.
Only if its done for one group.
Amd the goal is to not sink to lows of disrespect amd affirming negative images. Rather, even many ancients realized it does better to treat them nice and win them to your side.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But you did catch the main part about what I was saying right? About not picking empathy based on group affiliation, giving special attention to special groups?

A better method for fairness is equality across the board. All for all.
Do you mean like not giving people peanut butter sandwiches just because they're allergic? And might die?

Shaul

Premium Member
Detainees can leave detention anytime they choose be agreeing to return to where they came from.