• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wrote a brief invocation of Lord Nataraja in Shloka...

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And I'm posting it here to get some opinions. Do you guys think this can be an indication that the Shloka style of verse can work with Engilsh?

I dance the burning strut of flame; gently I flit the water's dance.
I masquerade as earth and wind; I promenade in ether's dance.

Within the world, and, too, without; a great ballroom: all this is That.
The waltz of action: That I dance. I lead the Dance of Time concealed.

Satsangi

Friend Riverwolf,

Good composition; it may work for people more tuned to English as the primary language. For me personally, the hymns like Sri Rudram, DakshinaMurthy Stotra etc are best left and understood and chanted in Sanskrit only. The vibrations created by the language of the Devas are totally different even if the English conveys the same meaning.

Regards,

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Friend Riverwolf,

Good composition; it may work for people more tuned to English as the primary language. For me personally, the hymns like Sri Rudram, DakshinaMurthy Stotra etc are best left and understood and chanted in Sanskrit only. The vibrations created by the language of the Devas are totally different even if the English conveys the same meaning.

Regards,

Thanks.

I'd never try to put Vedic hymns in English verse. ^_^ I'd stick to my own compositions.

Unfortunately, I can't understand Sanskrit. :(

Satsangi

Thanks.

I'd never try to put Vedic hymns in English verse. ^_^ I'd stick to my own compositions.

Unfortunately, I can't understand Sanskrit. :(

I do not understand Sanskrit fully either. I partially understand it, but have to look for translations at times.

Regards