• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I would rather be dead.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here's the idea: it's a rather old story. I hope you will read the following:
There was a wealthy man who wanted to know the meaning of life. And so one day at a cocktail party he asked all those in attendance if they knew the meaning of life. And one man answered him. He said, "I don't know the meaning of life, but there is a man at the top of the Himalayas that, if anyone does, he does. But know that you will have to forsake everything you have to get there, because it is a long and arduous journey, and you may not be able to return. But if anyone can help you, this guru would be able to."
So this man gave up everything to make this long journey to the top of the mountain. Eventually he at last reached the place where the guru was living, and seeing him in front of his cave, he approached him, and said, "O great guru, tell me, please! What is the meaning of life"? And the guru replied from a lotus position with one finger up in the air, "Life is like a fountain." The man was taken aback and asked, "Life is like a fountain? Life is like a fountain"? And the guru replied, "Well, maybe it's not like a fountain."

The True aim and meaning of life, is to know and love God. To do that we must come to know our own inner selves, as God is within us, with Gods laws. To find God, there is a worldly self that needs to be subdued and educated.

Regards Tony

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So, so far, neither you nor Tony has much if any logic to your beliefs, except somehow your heart tells you that what you believe, although quite differently from one another, is the closest to the truth. And I say, oh, well...have a nice day. It's been a trip, that's for sure.

Absolutely correct. There is no logic to my faith. It makes no sense to the rational mind, because it's not of the rational mind.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
No evidence of God or his messengers.In other words, one needs a brain-wash.
Let me put it this way. When I was younger I wondered about God. I wondered why people, who were seemingly religious, would go to war and kill one another. That is when I was in high school as I was learning about American history and its wars, especially the Civil War, thinking how people of the same religion would kill each other. That was a big one as far as I was concerned. However, as I grew older and went "into the world," I realized that is what many people do and support. It's kind of like being influenced to take sides after a while or change one's idea on fashion. People just do it.
I also knew that I didn't want to die. No one but me and life made me afraid of death. But that's me. Not that I have a choice about dying, but the idea of my life being completely obliterated (over) was quite frightful to me. And yes, I agree that when we die, we go to dust. But I am of the viewpoint now that God, in his love and wisdom, can remember us.
As I grew older, I began to realize that there must be a God. The universe and life is much greater than we are. But it took time. God exists. I believe that now. Only God can give a person this faith.

Goodman John

If I were in a position to where I could not speak of my faith, it would not affect me in the least- I'd simply go on doing what I'm doing regardless. While it's a noble thing to help others find their way, in the end we're responsible for our own salvation or damnation and no one else's.