• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish sexual orientation and gender identity/expression

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't like the term QUEER to be associated with non-heterosexual orientations also.
I disagree.
I like the term queer better than the alphabet soup often used instead.

Because it's rather vague it's very inclusive. But it isn't too inclusive.
The social problems faced by gays and trans and other similar minorities have a good deal in common. Not necessarily more important than the problems faced by black people, immigrants, or uppity women or whatever, but different.
In the modern world the word queer does have meaning. People who don't fit the cis-het norm, in whatever way that they don't.

So, instead of the long string of capital letters that is bound to exclude someone who will object, I prefer the more encompassing term queer.

Frankly, one thing I like about it is that it's vague enough to include otherwise ordinary cis-het folks who go out of their way to support social equality for us more queer folks. They're still unusual, "queer", but becoming less so by the day.
Tom

epronovost

I suspect the lumping together comes from old stereotypes of gay men being feminine and lesbians being butch.

Gender roles still play a huge role in both. Notice how girls being together in the media is much more common and "acceptable" than boys? While I am sure some of this stems from male fantasies of two women being together, some of it appears to be from the assumption that it's okay for women to be affectionate with each other but not men.

No actually the lumpin together comes from forming alliances to promote their civic and social rights. Once upon a time the gay rights movement was seperate with the lesbian right's movement (which was at the time a subset of the feminist movement) and the transgender rights movement, though older than the two others, was extremely small and focused on transwomen. These various movements regrouped when they realised that they basically were all fighting for the same things and against the same obstacles. Being minority groups, they need to regroup to augment their political pull and have the laws which oppressed them changed as well as the sexual moralism that suported and justified this oppression. It's an alliance of conveniance and that doesn't mean that each section of the LGBTQ+ community is in perfect harmony. There are misogynist gay men, lesbian seperatists, transphobia within homosexual communities, biphobia and negative stereotypes amongst homosexuals, etc. Of course these are in minorities and as rule these communities have been supportive of one another if only because they face the same kind of enemies and obstacles. The LGBTQ+ community has also kept a good network of alliance with women's rights group for the same reason.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think there's some lumping together, especially in common chat - after all the T is now part of the LGB - mixing gender indentity with sexuality. And gender/sex does have a connection to sexuality.
The T has always been a part of LGB. It was the T, afterall, who began the initial rioting when the queers began rioting at Stonewall.

HonestJoe

I think LGBT+ implies persons with any degree of same-sex attraction are freaks of nature like trans people are. I find the T part of this term repulsive.
We're all freaks of nature. The fact remains that there are plenty of commonalities between all of the people included under that general label which makes it valid in some circumstances. After all, some people treat homosexuals as repulsively as you would treat transgender people.

For that reason Catholics and Protestants wouldn't want to be put in the same melting pot as Jim Jones, Branch Davidians, Jehovah's Witnesses and the Moonies.
Like it or not, they have commonalities. Or are you saying that when the law states that people shouldn't be discriminated against on grounds of religion, those groups shouldn't be included?

After all, I don't really want to be included in the same human race as you but I don't get to exclude you just because of my feelings.

Skwim

Veteran Member

"We use the acronym LGBT to describe the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community. The first three letters (LGB) refer to sexual orientation. The 'T' refers to issues of gender identity.

Gender identity is your own, internal, personal sense of being a man or a woman (or as someone outside of that gender binary).

Sexual orientation describes a person's enduring physical, romantic, and/or emotional attraction to another person (for example: straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual).

Transgender people may be straight, lesbian, gay, or bisexual. For example, a person who transitions from male to female and is attracted solely to men would be typically identify as a straight woman."
source

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I would like "LGBT" to be done away with. This abbreviation is what lumps both categories together.

How about if we were to lump Jews, Italians and people of color all together?

I don't like the term QUEER to be associated with non-heterosexual orientations also. Most humans have a varying degree of attraction to both sexes according to an old survey. Most humans hide any degree of same-sex attraction that they may feel. The QUEER or ODD thing is strict attraction to only one sex.

For non-hetero sexual orientations we could coin: SOOTHE (Sexual Orientations Other Than HEterosexuality), any person with a certain degree of same-sex attraction is now a part of the SOOTHE community.

There could be CIS SOOTHE and TRANS SOOTHE or CIS HET and TRANS HET

HET = heterosexual

For non-cis gender identities and expressions: TRANS

CIS = identifies and expresses oneself as one's true biological sex

TRANS = identifies and expresses oneself as the opposite of one's true biological sex
I prefer not to get into labelling people at all, whenever I can avoid it. The great majority of my life, and I suppose most other people's (with the possible exception of sex workers) is spent on non-sexual matters, and when I'm dressed for work, it's really nobody else's business what's under my clothing.

So I try to accept people as they present themselves, and not to wonder about whether they'd get it on with me or not, since that's usually pretty counter-productive.