• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I wish I had known him better

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Early this morning I got a call from Los Angeles informing me that my father had died.

I wish I had more to say. I wish I had known him better.

I'm so sorry Jay, both that your father passed away and that you did not know him better. I know we don't know each other well, but I'm around if you ever just need a chat or a listening ear. :blueheart:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Early this morning I got a call from Los Angeles informing me that my father had died.

I understand the sentiment and wish you well.
I hope some other men stepped up and provided you with support, mentorship and role models.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
My heart is with you. Both my parents have left this world.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I’m very sorry to hear that. I lost my Dad in ‘04. I didn’t know my Dad well, either. But it hurt pretty bad.

It gets better....stay busy.

The future may have a surprise for you! Me, too! All of us.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear. May you know no more sorrow.

If I may, how old was he?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having lost both parents and wishing that I had thought to learn more from them, your loss resonates with me. My condolences.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Regret is a tough thing when someone you are supposed to love dies and you don't feel the connection that should have been there....this is why parents need to share themselves with their children more....but its a generational thing too. In the old days of children being seen and not heard, there wasn't a lot of opportunity to really get to know our parents as people. Our Dad's were our providers and disciplinarians mostly, and missing in most of our daylight hours, so hard for some to get that close really. Holidays were the only time I got to really spend time with my Dad.

I hope you can find solace in the fact that the Bible describes death as a peaceful sleep....when I lost my Dad at the young age of 52, I wish I had got to know him better too.....:( He left us so suddenly that there was no time to prepare. No time to ask the important questions. But knowing that he was sleeping and not in any anguish was comforting.

We feel your sadness.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Your feelings are almost universal, I think. We seem almost always to wish we knew the person better, or that there was some unfinished business between us that we wish we could have resolved. I still feel that about my wife, a bit, even though it was four years ago and I was with her throughout her long illness to the end. Strangely though, I don't feel that about my mother, who died 3 months later. Possibly that's because she was very old, ill and tired, so it all felt complete, rather than unfinished, when she died.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Condolences.
A positive (for him):- He must have lived to a great age.
A positive (for you):- Somebody must care because they let you know.
A positive (for you): I'll bet that you talk with and stay by your own children.

It must be a very special benefit to really get to know our fathers. I was near enough to mine until his death and I now realise that we never really held a proper conversation..... nope.