• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I will never be a part of the Metaverse.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just saw a documentary about Mark Suckerberg's Metaverse, and I can promise you this. I will never use it or become a part of it.
No computer going to get my consciousness

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
the-matrix-has-you.gif

F1fan

Veteran Member
Just saw a documentary about Mark Suckerberg's Metaverse, and I can promise you this. I will never use it or become a part of it.
I'm pretty disillusioned with FB. I have seen a lot of right wing disinformation allowed as content while simple jokes were deleted and led to bans, including myself. I still use it occasionally for local event info and working for promoting events.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm pretty disillusioned with FB. I have seen a lot of right wing disinformation allowed as content while simple jokes were deleted and led to bans, including myself. I still use it occasionally for local event info and working for promoting events.
I have not been on facebook since 2017. And I dont use any other program owned by them, and will never do again.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

What now?

I'm sorry, I live under a rock... can you explain this 'Metaverse'?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What now?

I'm sorry, I live under a rock... can you explain this 'Metaverse'?
The former "Facebook" company will make a virtual reality online, just as the world we live in today, just everything is digital. They want us to be addicted to digital lifestyle and forget the real life.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The former "Facebook" company will make a virtual reality online, just as the world we live in today, just everything is digital. They want us to be addicted to digital lifestyle and forget the real life.
I don't see how that will work for the vast majority who have actual lives. It might attract kids, as if kids aren't lost in video going as it is.

If I had young kids I would turn the power off to the house during the day and make the kids go outside and play.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't see how that will work for the vast majority who have actual lives. It might attract kids, as if kids aren't lost in video going as it is.

If I had young kids I would turn the power off to the house during the day and make the kids go outside and play.
Even businesses are signing on to metaverse, to be a digital world where they sell digital clothes, digital food and so on.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Even businesses are signing on to metaverse, to be a digital world where they sell digital clothes, digital food and so on.

Digital food? I hope it comes with digital nutrition facts, too. Don't want anyone getting digital diabetes...:rolleyes:

Well, I might go there. I'll create digital poop on everyone's lawn, and then leave.

Yazata

I don't have much interest in it. I mean, why would I want to inhabit a whole "universe" created and controlled by Mark Zuckerberg as if he were its God? Where his woke employees serve as its angels? Inhabited disproportionately by adolescents playing out their fantasies?

I'll stick with the real universe, thank you very much. I'm not that alienated from real reality that I feel a need to flee to virtual reality.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I just discovered that Walmart is evidently interested in signing onto the metaverse.

It has been revealed that there are 'intentions for Walmart to create and sell virtual goods such as electronics, home decor, toys, sporting goods, and personal care products. Those types of products would make the most sense in a virtual- or augmented-reality setting such as the metaverse' (Motley Fool Staff).

Seriously, virtual personal care products? One of the last things I would ever want is some bodywash or deodorant that doesn't actually go on my body.

Works Cited​

Motley Fool Staff. 'Walmart Appears Poised to Join the Metaverse with Launch of Its Own Crypto and NFTs.' 17 Jan. 2022. MSN, www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/walmart-appears-poised-to-join-the-metaverse-with-launch-of-its-own-crypto-and-nfts/ar-AASS5xC.

I don't know if it's connected to the metaverse, but a similar thing I recently read is that Selfridges in London are to sell dresses by Paco Rabanne, from £2,000 to £100,000, which are "in digital form only" - where for your money you receive "a digital certificate of ownership for each outfit" instead of a physical item you can wear!

Selfridges becomes the first retailer to sell a range of dresses in 'NFT' digital form only | Daily Mail Online

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
This has already been tried with the 2nd Life application. People still use 2nd Life, but it has not become the great meeting place, business area, shopping mall and online university which once was envisioned. 2nd life is the prototype for Meta. 2nd Life is everything the Meta is trying to be, except the Meta is using VR headsets.

Never say "Never" though. There may come a time when VR is the only way to get recruited for jobs, or it may be the only way to vote or the only way to shop etc. Its possible.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This has already been tried with the 2nd Life application. People still use 2nd Life, but it has not become the great meeting place, business area, shopping mall and online university which once was envisioned. 2nd life is the prototype for Meta. 2nd Life is everything the Meta is trying to be, except the Meta is using VR headsets.

Never say "Never" though. There may come a time when VR is the only way to get recruited for jobs, or it may be the only way to vote or the only way to shop etc. Its possible.
For me, I have been rendered unfit for work. So I am on healthcare payment from the government. No more work.