• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was Wrong....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
but I was mistaken.......
hehehehe

no seriously
when it comes to a belief about the next life
you need to be right about it

your next life depends on it....literally

any doubts?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
hehehehe

no seriously

any doubts?

You're either, mistaken, wrong, deluded, or living an illusion of knowing about the next life. It is highly questionable that we 'know' about this life.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
hehehehe

no seriously

any doubts?
You could always write a letter to your future self.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Nope. No doubts. Because I believe the Buddha. Quite simply, the Buddhist worldview is comprehensive and total. It's more comprehensive than Christianity for sure, which frequently makes the appeal of divine revelation for the most elementary of matters like social ethics. Do you apply this to yourself? If you're wrong?

Because in my worldview it will be bad if certain monotheists are wrong- specifically the ones that engage in discriminatory behavior against others based on their beliefs. Some of them do this on a mass, societal scale- sometimes extending into actually violent actions and killing. Buddhism teaches such people will be reborn in a hell realm. To put it in monotheistic terms: they'll go to hell.

Jumi

Admitting mistakes is a good sign, who could refuse it with a good conscience? Which good father would abandon his children for a difference of belief?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If there is an afterlife and such a god, I'm pretty sure this entity wouldn't be a dickwad and would have some understanding of our circumstances. Such as "you never believed in me? Well, your tribe never knew of anything beyond their own views." Or "You lived during a time when they coined the phrase 'information overload.' Don't worry, I won't hold it against you."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
hehehehe

no seriously

any doubts?
If there is the commonly believed afterlife, how will you cope
with trading in your ninja pajamas for what they wear (or not)
in those Hieronymus Bosch paintings?

Jeremiah Ames

Nope. No doubts. Because I believe the Buddha. Quite simply, the Buddhist worldview is comprehensive and total. It's more comprehensive than Christianity for sure, which frequently makes the appeal of divine revelation for the most elementary of matters like social ethics. Do you apply this to yourself? If you're wrong?

Because in my worldview it will be bad if certain monotheists are wrong- specifically the ones that engage in discriminatory behavior against others based on their beliefs. Some of them do this on a mass, societal scale- sometimes extending into actually violent actions and killing. Buddhism teaches such people will be reborn in a hell realm. To put it in monotheistic terms: they'll go to hell.

Makes total sense to me.
Real Christianity says the same thing.

Sadly, many Christians have a super strong connection to their religious doctrines and leadership, but little or no connection to the vine (that brings life).

Jeremiah Ames

Thief, have you ever taken a moment to reflect on how utterly bizarre it would be for a deity to create an afterlife that could only be accessed by believing it exists in the absence of any solid evidence to that effect?

My understanding of what i read, does not conform to what you say here. There is no belief required. Also, whether or not there is evidence, you (I mean you literally) are likely to experience the the same afterlife I am expecting, without evidence. :eek:
Why do I say this? Because the things you post give a bit of insight into your character.
Believing a certain thing, saying a certain thing, or going to a certain building with a bunch of people doing and saying the same thing; this is not the key. It’s your fruit. Period. The good vine does not produce bad fruit. And the bad vine cannot produce good.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Makes total sense to me.
Real Christianity says the same thing.

Sadly, many Christians have a super strong connection to their religious doctrines and leadership, but little or no connection to the vine (that brings life).

Claims of belief of certainty without doubt, objective skepticism, and comparison with a broader consciousness of the reality of fallible human belief is 'blind faith.'

The more narrowly we believe the more likely we are wrong.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thief, have you ever taken a moment to reflect on how utterly bizarre it would be for a deity to create an afterlife that could only be accessed by believing it exists in the absence of any solid evidence to that effect?
hmmmm........isn't that a definition for .....faith

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
My understanding of what i read, does not conform to what you say here. There is no belief required. Also, whether or not there is evidence, you (I mean you literally) are likely to experience the the same afterlife I am expecting, without evidence. :eek:
Why do I say this? Because the things you post give a bit of insight into your character.
Believing a certain thing, saying a certain thing, or going to a certain building with a bunch of people doing and saying the same thing; this is not the key. It’s your fruit. Period. The good vine does not produce bad fruit. And the bad vine cannot produce good.

I'll take your response as meaning you never deeply consider the question of an afterlife with fresh eyes.

Shaul

Premium Member
Why not live this life as you should instead of for supernal suppositions?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

so...there is a Spirit Greater than yourself
with the power to place lesser spirit in positions of torment

sounds very Christian to me.....