• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Was Forced To Install Windows 10

Skwim

Veteran Member
Happened yesterday. Even though I was quite comfortable with Win 7 and didn't want to make the change, as of Jan 14 Microsoft will no longer support 7. So they forced my hand. Fortunately, I was able to scrap all the tiles on the Start menu and change it back to the Win 7 format. I lost my Outlook Express E-Mail host, and subsequently elected to use The Win 10 Mail system, which, while a bit strange, should be alright. So everything is going well except for one thing, which I'm hoping someone here can help me with. The letter size in both the horizontal Operation/Tab bar and drop-down Bookmark List is quite small. Anyone know how to enlarge it?
win 10 letters.png

Thanks.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Make sure you get the updates, because some of them affect font scaling controls.

Here are the main font scaling controls for Windows 10:
Right click on the start icon and select 'System'. Then on the left click 'Display'. There are various font size settings there which affect your menus.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Abandoned Windows for good. There are so many Linux distributions and so many flavors around. It is fun to hop from one to another, currently SparkyLinux, 17s boot. With better machines and more knowledge, it can be much faster.

Startup finished in 6.169s (kernel) + 11.106s (userspace) = 17.276s
graphical.target reached after 11.096s in userspace

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Yes, Linux does not support quite a few serious tools that are sold for big bucks and run on Windows and Mac. But all you need is vanilla, it rocks. Vanilla includes running LIbreOffice which does quite a bit of what Microsoft does and is very compatible.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
There's a number of things you can do. First, try to reformat. It should revert to the chip of your original computer.

If that doesn't work, you should be able to find the license key and create a reformat from USB/disc to a previous Windows 8.

Rolling back from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1

You can also prevent it from updating by changing the registry. It's 2020 and I still have an 8.1 computer. I'll show you steps. Also, Linux ****ing sucks (it doesn't load .exe files normally meaning programs from Windows are literally locked out). Just refuse the update.

How to Disable Windows 10 Update in Every Way - EaseUS
https://www.howtogeek.com/228551/ho...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

Last edited:

Misunderstood

That is a problem, not being able to make out what is on the screen.

Here is what you do.

Step 1. Go into the kitchen and find a clear drinking glass. The kind with a concave bottom. Get the largest glass you can find as it will give the best magnification.

Step 2. Fill the glass as full as you can with Scotch, or any other hard liquor of your choice.

Step 3. Go back to your computer, sit down and drink your glass of liquor. (The glass needs to be empty to use.)

If you follow these three steps above, when you are done it will not matter to you what size the font is.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Make sure you get the updates, because some of them affect font scaling controls.

Here are the main font scaling controls for Windows 10:
Right click on the start icon and select 'System'. Then on the left click 'Display'. There are various font size settings there which affect your menus.
Thank you. That did the job.. :thumbsup:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Not supporting an old format is not forcing your hand. You still chose to upgrade, as you didn't have to.
I am not going to until I have to.

They only just upgraded from Win7 to Win10 at the state government agency where I work a couple of weeks ago, and Win10 is not all that different. I was worried, but was not that difficult to navigate. I do the same things over and over and it took hardly any time to figure it out. However, I have Win7 running on my three home computers and I plan to keep it as long as I can.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sheesh, computer talk scares the hell out of me....
I know nothing, so I just hold my breath and hope nothing goes wrong.
Now I'm outa here before I get scared to death. :eek:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
And HP. It was bloated and such a pain in the neck. With cups on Linux, it is so light and smooth.
However, I have Win7 running on my three home computers and I plan to keep it as long as I can.
Don't keep with things that are out-dated. Come 15th January and the bugs will get you. You will not get security upgrades. Pay to Allah (Microsoft) what is his due.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Abandoned Windows for good. There are so many Linux distributions and so many flavors around. It is fun to hop from one to another, currently SparkyLinux, 17s boot. With better machines and more knowledge, it can be much faster.

Startup finished in 6.169s (kernel) + 11.106s (userspace) = 17.276s
graphical.target reached after 11.096s in userspace
That looks very techno-nerdy.... :D

Question:- I use a Windows 7 starter laptop which is slow, but my Motorola Iphone is on Android which is quick. Can I get an Android laptop, or what can I get for simple safe internet/forum use? I don't play games or need fast gear..

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That is a problem, not being able to make out what is on the screen.

Here is what you do.

Step 1. Go into the kitchen and find a clear drinking glass. The kind with a concave bottom. Get the largest glass you can find as it will give the best magnification.

Step 2. Fill the glass as full as you can with Scotch, or any other hard liquor of your choice.

Step 3. Go back to your computer, sit down and drink your glass of liquor. (The glass needs to be empty to use.)

If you follow these three steps above, when you are done it will not matter to you what size the font is.
Nah!
Gin! Clear gin.
Works wonders.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Happened yesterday. Even though I was quite comfortable with Win 7 and didn't want to make the change, as of Jan 14 Microsoft will no longer support 7. So they forced my hand. Fortunately, I was able to scrap all the tiles on the Start menu and change it back to the Win 7 format. I lost my Outlook Express E-Mail host, and subsequently elected to use The Win 10 Mail system, which, while a bit strange, should be alright. So everything is going well except for one thing, which I'm hoping someone here can help me with. The letter size in both the horizontal Operation/Tab bar and drop-down Bookmark List is quite small. Anyone know how to enlarge it?

Thanks.

Up DPI scaling in the display settings. If you have a 13-15" laptop screen the defaults will make you think you're going blind. :D The default is generally too low for anyone not on a 19"+ monitor. This fixes the menu sizes, the header text, and the size of content on the screen. Make sure it's at least 150%... it'll help greatly.

Also, don't bother monkeying with trying to make it look like windows 7 -- it works better than windows 7 if you don't turn things off. Get used to the search feature too... I almost never use the menu system/tiles anyway.

Misunderstood

That looks very techno-nerdy.... :D

Question:- I use a Windows 7 starter laptop which is slow, but my Motorola Iphone is on Android which is quick. Can I get an Android laptop, or what can I get for simple safe internet/forum use? I don't play games or need fast gear..

Chromebook would be the closest as far as I know. It is a glorified Chrome Browser. So if that is what you need it may work well for you.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
And HP. It was bloated and such a pain in the neck. With cups on Linux, it is so light and smooth.
Don't keep with things that are out-dated. Come 15th January and the bugs will get you. Pay to Allah (Microsoft) what is their due.

I use Linux for a lot of things, but it's certainly not a completely viable swap for Windows. Printers are finicky as is sound and video and for most people if it doesn't just work they'd basically screwed. :D It will run faster on lesser hardware, but Windows 10 was designed to run on things that aren't even computers. It has a much lower footprint these days making that gap less and less.

My opinion has always been the same -- if you're running Linux you know why you need it. (I do, and I run about 4-5 different Linux servers for various purposes.) If you don't know why you probably got no business messing with it anyway. :D

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Chromebook would be the closest as far as I know. It is a glorified Chrome Browser. So if that is what you need it may work well for you.

Too much Google spy-bot for me, pardon me if I forsake the convenience in this case for the fact that I can pick nearly any other ultrabook type computer and not have that problem. :D

Misunderstood

Too much Google spy-bot for me, pardon me if I forsake the convenience in this case for the fact that I can pick nearly any other ultrabook type computer and not have that problem. :D

I agree I do not like anything Chrome, android or Google for the reasons you mentioned.

I just put that out as he wanted something similar to android. Chrome and Android are both Google, with android being more touch based and Chrome being keyboard based. Chrome also runs some android apps. But this also comes as a cloud based system with all of Google's spying and intrusion into your life.