• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to believe in god but i don't know if I can

WalterTrull

Godfella
I'm sorry... I don't see how that religious doctrine is cult-think or nonsensical or unfair or immoral.
Woops :oops: Retracing our steps, it appears that I misread your first post. When you stated: "My religion states that fear or rejection and the cares of the world is what gets people to deny the faith." I read: "My religion states that fear or rejection (of) the cares of the world is what gets people to deny the faith." I was somewhat befuddled. Sorry

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I can't shake the feeling of doubt

Many if not most of us have had periods of extreme doubt. It's utterly normal. As is ignoring the question of God altogether.

I don't wan't god to hate me

My firm belief is that He does not. He is the perfect Father and the perfect Mother who is incapable of doing anything but being loving.

GoodbyeDave

Sorry if this is annoying to read i'm just rambling about my thoughts/questions
Welcome! You're certainly not being annoying. This sort of question is surely what we're here for (or should be) and lots of us were in your situation.

I think the thought of dying and having nothing is pretty terrifying so I really hope at least something exists after death but I can't shake the feeling of doubt.
I studied anthropology when I was at university, and I've never been able to trace any anthropologist who found a society where everyone disbelieved in an afterlife. Individuals may disbelieve, but that's the result of being exposed to bad philosophy. Why do our bodies die? Because they wear out, like any physical object. Minds don't wear out: in 60 years time you'll have a lot more memories and a lot more knowledge, but you'll feel just the same inside: take my word for it! There's also a lot of evidence for continued existence, like the dead communicating with their descendants and conveying factual information that can be checked.

I'm bisexual and my best friend is Lesbian and I don't want god to hate me or her for that or anyone for that matter
If someone tells you that a god created you and your friend, yet hates you, ask them why their god didn't create you differently!

I do pray sometimes but it's always out of hopelessness and I'm not sure if anyone is even listening to me.
A lot of people have had that experience, including me. I'm not trying to convert you, but I'd say if the one you pray to isn't listening, pray to some-one else!

james blunt

Hello! I made this account to ask you all a question and maybe get some opinions. Sorry if this is annoying to read i'm just rambling about my thoughts/questions :oops:

I'm fourteen and I was raised till the age of eight maybe nine to believe in god and go to church every Sunday but my family stopped going because we moved states.. my dad and mom have always been faithful but my siblings don't believe in god and I personally don't know if I do either but the issue is, is that I WANT to believe in him. I think the thought of dying and having nothing is pretty terrifying so I really hope at least something exists after death but I can't shake the feeling of doubt- I was always taught to believe in "Santa" and "the tooth fairy" and after I was told those were fake I just assumed god was too because he is almost the same as those made up stories..
I'm really not trying to be offensive to anyone but i'm genuinely distressed about it!! I'm bisexual and my best friend is Lesbian and I don't wan't god to hate me or her for that or anyone for that matter it's frustrating because I feel like even if I do want to believe I can never fully believe :( I do pray sometimes but it's always out of hopelessness and i'm not sure if anyone is even listening to me
It just sucks and I hope if there is a god he can forgive me for sometimes being angry at him or losing faith.
To believe or not believe , that is the question !

To believe in some thing is better than believing in no thing .

Hope is hope and without hope what is there ?

Oh how the flocks come flocking in hope and how there is flocks with no hope .

Audie

Veteran Member
Hello! I made this account to ask you all a question and maybe get some opinions. Sorry if this is annoying to read i'm just rambling about my thoughts/questions :oops:

I'm fourteen and I was raised till the age of eight maybe nine to believe in god and go to church every Sunday but my family stopped going because we moved states.. my dad and mom have always been faithful but my siblings don't believe in god and I personally don't know if I do either but the issue is, is that I WANT to believe in him. I think the thought of dying and having nothing is pretty terrifying so I really hope at least something exists after death but I can't shake the feeling of doubt- I was always taught to believe in "Santa" and "the tooth fairy" and after I was told those were fake I just assumed god was too because he is almost the same as those made up stories..
I'm really not trying to be offensive to anyone but i'm genuinely distressed about it!! I'm bisexual and my best friend is Lesbian and I don't wan't god to hate me or her for that or anyone for that matter it's frustrating because I feel like even if I do want to believe I can never fully believe :( I do pray sometimes but it's always out of hopelessness and i'm not sure if anyone is even listening to me
It just sucks and I hope if there is a god he can forgive me for sometimes being angry at him or losing faith.

Choosing to believe is self-deception.

Wanting to believe or disbelieve something is the
very definition of intellectual dishonesty.

Don't strew your path with traps of your own making.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

God did not send his son to condemn you, be angry with you or punish you. He sent His son to save you because He loves you, believes in you and has a great plan for your life.

If you hand your life over to Him, as I did at 28, your life will never be the same. Going to church doesn't do it, having your parents go to church doesn't do it... it is a decision that everybody has to decide for himself/herself.

(A Christian perspective)

InChrist

Free4ever
I believe God has demonstrated His love beyond measure through Jesus Christ for each person . According to the scriptures all wisdom and knowledge is hidden in Christ and I don't doubt the He will answer your questions and reveal Himself personally to you in a way that will resonate with you in a meaningful way if you sincerely seek to know Him and desire His guidance for your life.

My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Woops :oops: Retracing our steps, it appears that I misread your first post. When you stated: "My religion states that fear or rejection and the cares of the world is what gets people to deny the faith." I read: "My religion states that fear or rejection (of) the cares of the world is what gets people to deny the faith." I was somewhat befuddled. Sorry

It's not you. It took me a couple tries before I read this post.

Curious George

Veteran Member

You do not choose your beliefs. If you believe there is a pen before you, you cannot choose anything but that belief. You can entertain what if there was no pen, but until you justify that position to your own mind, you will never believe there is a pen.

If you want to believe in any god, then you must find a way to justify such a god. We justify beliefs based on other beliefs we hold. The best way for you to justify your belief or disbelief in any god would be to research other peoples experiences while living your life and creating your own experiences.

Try not to worry about your sexuality. You will find attraction in what you do regardless of what you believe.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?

A word of advise.... avoid easy ideas that sound to good to be true by being a critical thinker and divide sense from nonsense. Live an honest clean life and surround yourself with winners and not losers. Most of all educate yourself with history, physics, cosmology, biology, etc.... Education is the most valuable thing you should invest in at your age. All the answers to your questions will come together for you in in time when you've lived a little.

Workman

UNIQUE

Hello my young friend!

It seems like you know way more quicker then ages, and your words sing it innocently of you still be ‘The young and innocent’. You’ve only just begun and now you want to know the end!. You have still few innocent left in you, It’s the guilt of knowing that cries of doubting.Your thinking to much smarter forgetting to personate the younger to life.Your belief of God is what you understand, but it’s the understanding of how to believe in it! Anyone can tell you or show you how and still! you won’t see! “To Believe in God”, works in differently, you have to earn it and the only way to earn is through your own understanding, no-one can opiniate you but yourselves own understanding. With that said you have to live life experiencing whom you are it’s what definds your understanding. So may unto this! So far your beliefs brought you here, but your doings are the confused. You do not need opinions! Your only need is your HEART! Listen to your heart, go nowhere without it in life, it’ll be your guidence your protection and your hurtness for the loving but in the end yours to become stronger! Then only.. True You Believe!

May God Bless you in your journey!
Remember nothing matters except Love!

Remté

A word of advise.... avoid easy ideas that sound to good to be true by being a critical thinker and divide sense from nonsense. Live an honest clean life and surround yourself with winners and not losers. Most of all educate yourself with history, physics, cosmology, biology, etc.... Education is the most valuable thing you should invest in at your age. All the answers to your questions will come together for you in in time when you've lived a little.
You sound so sure... what are winners and losers?

Audie

Veteran Member
I believe God has demonstrated His love beyond measure through Jesus Christ for each person . According to the scriptures all wisdom and knowledge is hidden in Christ and I don't doubt the He will answer your questions and reveal Himself personally to you in a way that will resonate with you in a meaningful way if you sincerely seek to know Him and desire His guidance for your life.

My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:2-3

Can you just say something without preaching?
It sounds so brainwashed.

Audie

Veteran Member
You sound so sure... what are winners and losers?

I bet you could think of some examples of each.

If you cannot distinguish people who will have a positive
influence from those who are negative you are in
grave danger in this life.

Remté

I bet you could think of some examples of each.

If you cannot distinguish people who will have a positive
influence from those who are negative you are in
grave danger in this life.
I don't consider someone who has a positive influence on something(s) to be *a winner*. And positive influence is largely subjective. What's a winner to you would be a loser to another. So why use the term *winner* at all?

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't consider someone who has a positive influence on something(s) to be *a winner*. And positive influence is largely subjective. What's a winner to you would be a loser to another. So why use the term *winner* at all?

While I would not use the term
"winner" myself here I think I probably expressed
the intended idea. One can of course go off
on equivocation, but I am not inclined to do so.

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Believing in God has no meaning if not following his rules on earth, it's whether to follow
the path of God or the path of the Satan, it's to choose between Good and bad.