• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I want to b elieve

PureX

Veteran Member
I would be just fine with religion if it:
A). Did not pretend to be true
B). Did not proselytize
C). Did not try constantly to insert itself into government and education
What other people think about God and how they express it in their lives is their business. I see no reason that the rest of us should allow them to make it ours. Beyond the issue of tyranny, which rears it's ugly head in every aspect of human interaction, and is not particularly a religious ideal or characteristic, I see no reason to make it one. So why you are using this to determine and rationalize your own concept and expression of divinity is difficult for me to understand.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think a lot of people are choosing to be known as "spiritual but not affiliated" right now. It allows you all the benefits of spirituality without any of the baggage that comes with religious organizations. Personally, I like to contemplate many different books, and address my prayers to any benevolent loving spirits out there who are kind enough to take pity on little old me, to guide and direct my paths for good... I figure that is all that is really needed.

Best wishes to you!

I am kind of liking the SBNR religion.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Perhaps pray that God would be revealed to you. The longing in your heart to trust in the divine may be leading you. I think the suggestion to do wide reading is good, too, as there may be esoteric (personal) as well as exoteric (communal) aspects to faith.

It would be interesting to see which god(s) respond.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think with religion, one of the key components is seeking to discover what is actually true. In lieu of just trying to figure out what feels best or you like the most, I think the pursuit of God should start with the question of: What is true? (And following: Who is God? What are the sources of knowing who God is? What are the different religions? What are the evidences for each? Which is most plausible? Which are based in truth? ) The discovery process that is unveiled as you begin to investigate that question can be incredibly beneficial in moving you towards a religion.

I do not see any evidence for any anymore, but I wish I did. That is the problem.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Maybe study and explore each religion before you make a decision? Christianity is not the only religion...

I have and there are aspects of all of them that I like and dislike. Maybe I just tend to do too much research and should just try to see what "speaks to me."

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
There are different paths of exploration.

The path of the sages -- start reading sacred texts from around the world. Don't look for what you disagree with, although approaching from an intellectual viewpoint is okay. But the idea is read it with the question, what can I learn from this. You'll find that even religions that believe some very silly things still contain within then crystals of wisdom.

The empirical path -- seek a personal encounter with the divine. There are many tools: prayer, meditation, ecstatic worship, sackcloth and ashes fasting in a yurt in lower Mongolia...

Trial and error -- hey, it's tried and true. You can study a religion in a book, but yu won't really understand it unless you give it a try and practice it. And shake things up a bit. You experiences one version of Christianity, but Christianity is a very big, big buffet. If you were mainstream Protestant, try Catholic. If you were Evangelical, find some ultra liberal mainline Protestant Church.

Expect your journey to take a long time. But God is an important enough thing that he/she/it deserves our best try. And it's not without danger. In fact I dare say you can't expect to undertake this trip without getting hurt somewhere along the way. It is a legitimate Quest.

Interesting. I think I will have to try and find some patience. Yurt sounds interesting but might be difficult to get to Lower Mongolia. :)

David T

Premium Member
You have me intrigued.
Well the parroted meme down through culture is Everyone believes".. I would say true one in one single way. An example i believe that a bathroom is at mcdonalds if i need one. I do not believe it will automatically be open to me if i believe it to be open to me, i am agnostic as to whether it will be clean... That is the only level in which we all believe. I dont count i That for more than that. So when we get to this topic god "i believe" i dont believe" i am agnostic debate is nonsense. Its also for some not a healthy way to approach life.

Carl jung in the 1950s in a tv interview was asked if he Believed in god. He said oh no absolutely not "i know" .. His knowing is not related to an intellectual abstration of the profrontal cortex its a direct experience.. Not diassociated from the brain

I could say i am an annimist. But then most people will transliterate that into "he believes" thats false its how i experience not what i believe. I am extremely self aware about how i experience.

Milton Platt

It's just that being an atheist, which I technically am, seems cold and analytical. Being spiritual at some level is appealing to a woman of the creative/right brain sort like me.

Not sure what you mean by the word spiritual....it’s used to mean so many things it has lost meaning. But no need to quibble over that, I get your drift.

Milton Platt

What other people think about God and how they express it in their lives is their business. I see no reason that the rest of us should allow them to make it ours. Beyond the issue of tyranny, which rears it's ugly head in every aspect of human interaction, and is not particularly a religious ideal or characteristic, I see no reason to make it one. So why you are using this to determine and rationalize your own concept and expression of divinity is difficult for me to understand.

I agree wirh you.....proseleryzing by a religion isn’t a good thing.
Religions can become tyranical if left unchecked. It has happened.

I M not expressing a concept of divinity. I don’t even believe in divinity.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I was a Christian for a long time and became atheist. I got fed up with right wing Christianity. Lately though, I have been wanting something. I want to believe but do not want a Christian god. I am obsessing about it but am no closer to finding what I want. Any suggestions?
You could consider the Baha'i Faith... It is very different from right wing Christianity. :D
Please let me know if you have any questions... :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I like Jesus but do not want to join any more monotheist religions.
What's wrong with monotheism? Not all monotheistic religions are like Christianity. Do you think there is more than one God? How much sense does it make that we would need more than one God? o_O

PureX

Veteran Member
I agree wirh you.....proseleryzing by a religion isn’t a good thing.
Religions can become tyranical if left unchecked. It has happened.

I M not expressing a concept of divinity. I don’t even believe in divinity.
Then why are you focused on religious tyranny as opposed to all the other ways in which we humans try to control and exploit each other? Economic tyranny is far more common and damaging than religious tyranny is, for example. Why aren't you focused on that? And why are you focused on religion at all if you don't believe in any form or expression of divinity?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Has the universe been made to your order, your needs? That you need one God does not make the other Gods and Goddesses vanish. If they are there, then they are there.
It is not about "what I need." It is about what humanity needs. There is no need for more than One God, IF God is omnipotent and omniscient. This is logic 101 stuff.

There is either One God or there is more than One God and Goddesses. That is the reality.

If you want to believe in more than one that is your prerogative but that will not bring them into existence, not any more than my belief in One God will bring that God into existence.

Reality is reality, and it is not determined by what anyone believes. We either discover reality or fail to do so.

I still say it makes no sense that there is more than One God, IF God is omnipotent and omniscient, and if God does not have those attributes then God is not God. God is just something we made up in our heads.

How do you think we can KNOW anything about God/Gods? We know from religions that were revealed by God to Messengers/Prophets. Judaism championed monotheism and there have been no updates since that time.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is either One God or there is more than One God and Goddesses. That is the reality.
If you want to believe in more than one that is your prerogative but that will not bring them into existence, not any more than my belief in One God will bring that God into existence.
God is just something we made up in our heads.
Judaism championed monotheism and there have been no updates since that time.
No. Bahais say there cannot be more than one God. Our imagination? Is that what Bahaullah said? Then why he claimed to be a messenger or whatever? I believe the monotheists have falsified the truth that there is only one God, while in truth, there are many. All old cultures believed in more than one God. Even before Moses' time, the Israelites believed in more than one God. Then came this jealous and unjust God who said, ".. for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them ..". Is this your God? If there has no update then who is Bahaullah? Why did he claim progressive revelation? All what you say is jumbled up. Bahaullah says something different, you say something different.

Last edited: