• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I vowed I would have a puja room some day

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We moved into a new condo. It took about 6 weeks to actually move in. I loaded up the truck with boxes almost every day for that whole time and carried them up the stairs. Rinse, repeat. We had a moving company for the furniture.

Anyway, I said for the longest time some day I would have a shrine/puja room, with a door I can close. My last shrine in the ****hole we lived in was in a corner of the dining room, with no privacy or solitude. When we came to see this unit (3 bedrooms and a loft), I immediately claimed the small bedroom as the puja room. :D

I know some people don’t reveal their puja areas, others do; I’m one of the latter. I don’t know if it follows any kind of vastu or is even proper, whatever proper is, but I get a sense of peace and tranquility there. Except yesterday when I had a little too much smoke from incense and sambrani and set off the smoke detector. It scared the crap out of me and the dogs. :D I’m not sure how the gods felt about me running out, getting the step ladder and turning it off, but I got a sense they were laughing not at me but in a sort of bemused way.

Anyway, here it is. It’s in an alcove that was a closet. I put up the curtains, shelves and lights. I have duplicates of the deities because I like to collect them, and now have a place for them. My tulsi seedlings are on a table in front of a west window in the room. I face east standing at the shrine.

There is a strict no shoes, no dogs, please be reverent policy. I have a baby gate at the doorway though I usually close the door when doing puja. Anyone who visits is welcome to see it as long as they are reverent.

So here it is. Criticisms are grudgingly welcome. :D

Sri Ganesha and Sri Guruvāyūrappan greet at the doorway.

FF53BEB2-0564-4284-A66B-E4CEFC408CE8.jpeg

9D5F8C07-13E1-4023-9843-C6222329E816.jpeg 83856B30-A8B0-48EB-89D9-C5A845A87B30.jpeg E00C72AF-5AF8-4750-B47B-C8638A92F17A.jpeg

The framed pictures represent stories and events. I have a few of these around.

BEBD8139-D178-4DD8-858A-526930F6848B.jpeg

I have a small area for Buddhism and Taoism, which I have reverence for.

D2FDFD6A-C615-4CFA-8074-9454B711C2D4.jpeg

And last but not least, a small strength shrine for Lord Hanuman and Thor, my strength and “workout partners”.

3808683C-FE5D-44AF-9205-3F17BC423B91.jpeg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Very nice.:) I guess I can't quite keep up with it ...

Thanks.

That’s very nice, and to be perfectly honest, I wish I could have kept it to something like that. It’s easier to focus. Except for the top shelf which I consider the Vaishnava shrine, with Krishna as my ishta-devata, all the others are essentially display. I’m also obsessive-compulsive in some regards... deity statues, books, shirts, and some other things. I love the colors of the statues and shirts and like to collect them.

I’ve tried paring down the shrine in the past, and wrapping many of the statues but my OCPD (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, difference from OCD) doesn’t let me.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Very nice.:) I guess I can't quite keep up with it ...

Ah! God has all the gems and gold in Vaikuntha. Even the floor is made of 'sphatika'. He knows your heart. What made you say that you can't keep with it? What did those two mendicants in your puja had with them except love of their deities? :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The framed pictures represent stories and events. I have a few of these around.
I have a small area for Buddhism and Taoism, which I have reverence for.
And last but not least, a small strength shrine for Lord Hanuman and Thor, my strength and “workout partners”.
That is very beautiful, Jai.
Nice.
Sure, why not. Buddha was the ninth avatara of the Lord.
Nothing is more dear to Lord Hanuman than the name of the Lord.
Best wishes, may God grant you all happiness.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That is very beautiful, Jai.
Nice.
Sure, why not. Buddha was the ninth avatara of the Lord.
Nothing is more dear to Lord Hanuman than the name of the Lord.
Best wishes, may God grant you all happiness.

Thank you! :)

In have a small Buddha on the Vaishnava shelf, the tiny statue may not be visible. I lean towards him being an avatara of Lord Vishnu, for reasons that actually dawned on me when I watched the Hindi language tv series ‘Buddha‘. It was very good, btw.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Namaste Jainarayan ji,

Nice space. I too, always wished to have a separate huge space allotted for my puja, but my smallish house cannot quite afford it. Last year in my frustration, I built this 'mandir' out of styrofoam. Now it hosts deities on important occasions, but not for regular use, as the structure is too fragile and can come apart easily.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 0

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste Jainarayan ji,

Nice space. I too, always wished to have a separate huge space allotted for my puja, but my smallish house cannot quite afford it. Last year in my frustration, I built this 'mandir' out of styrofoam. Now it hosts deities on important occasions, but not for regular use, as the structure is too fragile and can come apart easily.

That’s really nice, :) Very creative. I never would have thought of it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice effort, Viraja. We do a make-shift thing for Ganapati puja. Not satisfied with it but whatever the deity permits. His choice, not ours. If he wanted, he could give us a whole palace. :)

Laddu1

Namaste Jainarayan ji,

@Viraja wooow this is beautiful!! You are so talented!