• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I voted Tory: get over it.

ronki23

Why should people who earn more subsidise people who pay less ?

The Labour Party used to only allow £4,045 (1997) to £6,475 (2009) to be tax free and the 40% (higher) tax rate started at £26,100 (1997) to £37,400 (2009).
Tories allowed personal allowance to be £6,475 (2010) to £12,500 (now) tax free and the 40% (higher) tax rate started at £37,400 (2010) to £37,500 (now).

According to Labour I would be a 'higher' earner in 1997 if I was earning £30,145 or £43,875 in 2010 whereas under Tories I wouldn't be a higher earner unless I was £43,875 in 2010 or £50,000 now.

So far so good ?

Tax free allowance would have been more and the higher tax rate would have been lower if it wasn't a Tory-Lib Dem coalition 2010-2015.
And Labour taxed 50p for every £1 earned over £75,000 in 2009 while the Tories taxed 45p for every £1 earned over £150,000. Labour also had high inheritance tax: money that's already tax so in effect double taxation.Not so much with the Tories

Why is it such a bad thing that we are trying to save money by leaving the EU ? It costs us £170-190 million a week : we can use that money elsewhere such as the NHS- at least £8 billion a year.

ronki23

The difference in tax rates would've been far more drastic if it was Old Labour or Jeremy Corbyn

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I voted Labour: get over it.

As for the EU, you must be the only one left who believed the big red bus. It's an untimigated disaster.

ronki23

I voted Labour: get over it.

As for the EU, you must be the only one left who believed the big red bus. It's an untimigated disaster.

Why would a Labour supporter vote to stay in the EU ? Because you've got workers from Eastern Europe doing work for less (and sending that money home where it's cheaper for their family) British workers are getting priced out.

But even if you don't agree, the majority of districts with a 'vote leave' majority are Labour voting districts

exchemist

Veteran Member

The Labour Party used to only allow £4,045 (1997) to £6,475 (2009) to be tax free and the 40% (higher) tax rate started at £26,100 (1997) to £37,400 (2009).
Tories allowed personal allowance to be £6,475 (2010) to £12,500 (now) tax free and the 40% (higher) tax rate started at £37,400 (2010) to £37,500 (now).

According to Labour I would be a 'higher' earner in 1997 if I was earning £30,145 or £43,875 in 2010 whereas under Tories I wouldn't be a higher earner unless I was £43,875 in 2010 or £50,000 now.

So far so good ?

Tax free allowance would have been more and the higher tax rate would have been lower if it wasn't a Tory-Lib Dem coalition 2010-2015.
And Labour taxed 50p for every £1 earned over £75,000 in 2009 while the Tories taxed 45p for every £1 earned over £150,000. Labour also had high inheritance tax: money that's already tax so in effect double taxation.Not so much with the Tories

Why is it such a bad thing that we are trying to save money by leaving the EU ? It costs us £170-190 million a week : we can use that money elsewhere such as the NHS- at least £8 billion a year.
Leaving the EU will cost us a fortune. Everyone (except you apparently) knows that by now.

You have voted to be poor. Get over it.

ronki23

@Rival and I were just discussing this a bit the other day. Labour voted 65-35 for Remain.

That's not true:

image.jpeg

image.png

"Using Professor Hanretty’s estimates, and looking at the results from the 2015 general election, 249 Conservative-voting constituencies probably voted to leave, while 81 probably voted to remain (not including the speaker’s constituency Buckingham, which probably voted to remain, based on these estimates).
148 Labour-voting seats probably voted to leave, while 84 probably voted to remain, which is exactly what the image says. "

Did a majority of Conservative and Labour constituencies vote to leave in the EU referendum?

Remember that the Tories lost seats to Labour in 2017

"According to these estimates, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave. All seats won by the Scottish National Party and the Green Party, and a majority of the seats won by the Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru, voted to Remain."

How did different constituencies vote in the 2016 EU referendum?

ronki23

Leaving the EU will cost us a fortune. Everyone (except you apparently) knows that by now.

You have voted to be poor. Get over it.

If 'everyone' knows that then

a) Why did Brexit win in 2016
b) Why did the Tories win by a landslide last year ?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'd rather be an ordinary man in a rich country than rich man in a poor one. Beyond a certain point, money becomes merely a status marker. Once you have enough for your personal prosperity, why not spend some on improving the society you live in?

Thought experiment: Think of money as grain. If some of your neighbors were starving, would you continue to hoard more and more of it?
You already have more than you could eat.

"Why should people who earn more subsidise people who pay less ?" -- Family values!
Would you let your grandmother starve because she's no longer productive; no longer contributing? Would you let your brother starve if an injury or birth defect left him unable to work?

We live in a community. Our 'social values' created the civilization we live in. Co-operation improved the prosperity of everyone.
I can build a garden shed. I cannot build a house, or road, or hospital. These are co-operative efforts, where the sacrifices of the few redound to the benefit of all.

ronki23

I'd rather be an ordinary man in a rich country than rich man in a poor one. Beyond a certain point, money becomes merely a status marker. Once you have enough for your personal prosperity, why not spend some on improving the society you live in?

Thought experiment: Think of money as grain. If some of your neighbors were starving, would you continue to hoard more and more of it?
You already have more than you could eat.

"Why should people who earn more subsidise people who pay less ?" -- Family values!
Would you let your grandmother starve because she's no longer productive; no longer contributing? Would you let your brother starve if an injury or birth defect left him unable to work?

We live in a community. Our 'social values' created the civilization we live in. Co-operation improved the prosperity of everyone.
I can build a garden shed. I cannot build a house, or road, or hospital. These are co-operative efforts, where the sacrifices of the few redound to the benefit of all.

The Labour Party was/is bad for small business owners. My family owns a small newsagents and under Labour we were taxed twice: one tax for the business itself then another tax on our income.

Labour is not like the US Democratic Party who actually do give a damn about SMEs

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
That's not true:

View attachment 44954

View attachment 44955

"Using Professor Hanretty’s estimates, and looking at the results from the 2015 general election, 249 Conservative-voting constituencies probably voted to leave, while 81 probably voted to remain (not including the speaker’s constituency Buckingham, which probably voted to remain, based on these estimates).
148 Labour-voting seats probably voted to leave, while 84 probably voted to remain, which is exactly what the image says. "

Did a majority of Conservative and Labour constituencies vote to leave in the EU referendum?

Remember that the Tories lost seats to Labour in 2017

"According to these estimates, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave. All seats won by the Scottish National Party and the Green Party, and a majority of the seats won by the Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru, voted to Remain."

How did different constituencies vote in the 2016 EU referendum?

There's a difference, then, between how rank and file party members voted and how the constituencies of Labour MPs voted.

What I said is accurate:

How Britain voted at the EU referendum | YouGov

Brexit votes by politics 2016 | Statista

Brexit divides the UK, but partisanship and ideology are still key factors

exchemist

Veteran Member
If 'everyone' knows that then

a) Why did Brexit win in 2016
b) Why did the Tories win by a landslide last year ?
a) People were fooled by the lies of the Leave campaign
b) People just wanted to get the inevitable over and done with.

The automotive and aerospace industries will wither and so will the jobs at the companies that supply them. Most other export-orientated industry will suffer. Farming will be very badly hit indeed, unless we get a deal, especially livestock farming (40% duty on exports to the EU), which will be destroyed. Fishing will suffer (50% of the catch is exported to the Continent). The finance industry (one of our biggest earners) will be damaged.

Oh, and on a lighter note, Kent will be full of excrement: Post-Brexit lorry queues could make Kent 'toilet of England'

exchemist

Veteran Member
The Labour Party was/is bad for small business owners. My family owns a small newsagents and under Labour we were taxed twice: one tax for the business itself then another tax on our income.

Labour is not like the US Democratic Party who actually do give a damn about SMEs
Were you taxed any differently under the Tory governments, then?

Altfish

Veteran Member

So far so good ?

How do you feel about children born into families that cannot afford to feed them?
It is costing us more to be outside of the EU - food will be dearer, we have to have thousands more border guards; big lorry parts around the country; financial companies leaving London by the hundreds

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Except brexit is costing over 800 million pounds a week, in what has turned out to be a 2% reduction in gdp

You do the maths and get over it

Oh, and the brexit bus was a lie. just like the many other lies the leave campaign spread.

ronki23

a) People were fooled by the lies of the Leave campaign
b) People just wanted to get the inevitable over and done with.

The automotive and aerospace industries will wither and so will the jobs at the companies that supply them. Most other export-orientated industry will suffer. Farming will be very badly hit indeed, unless we get a deal, especially livestock farming (40% duty on exports to the EU), which will be destroyed. Fishing will suffer (50% of the catch is exported to the Continent). The finance industry (one of our biggest earners) will be damaged.

Oh, and on a lighter note, Kent will be full of excrement: Post-Brexit lorry queues could make Kent 'toilet of England'

Fishing ? You mean how we aren't allowed to catch as many fish as we want in our own oceans ?

Farming falls under the Common Rural and Agricultural Policy aka CRAP

ronki23

Except brexit is costing over 800 million pounds a week, in what has turned out to be a 2% reduction in gdp

You do the maths and get over it

Oh, and the brexit bus was a lie. just like the many other lies the leave campaign spread.

Please show me where it says Brexit cost £800 million a week