• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I visited an Episcopal church

So, I attended an Episcopal service today and it was okay. It was a lot like other Christian services I've attended elsewhere, except this time they handed out the Eucharist and I got to see what it tasted like. It tasted a little funny, but was still pretty good, I think. Anyways, I think it was a nice service, but I don't know if this church is the right one for me after all. First of all, it's a bit far from my house, and secondly, it feels like it's missing something... I thought the service would be more Catholic-like, but it wasn't and that was a bit of a let down. I like the more formal format of Catholic services at my grandma's church.

But this isn't exactly about picking and choosing which church I like most, now is it? No. If it were about that, I'd just keep attending the Methodist church down the street. But no, this isn't about churches. This is about how I want to conduct myself for the rest of my life, and the Episcopal way might be it, but parts of it still feel a bit watered down when compared to Catholicism. I don't know why I'm so focused on Catholicism, by the way, as that is not the tradition I come from originally. But something about it, at least right now is calling to me... maybe I should stop resisting so much and start looking at it with a more open minded eye.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
So, I attended an Episcopal service today and it was okay. It was a lot like other Christian services I've attended elsewhere, except this time they handed out the Eucharist and I got to see what it tasted like. It tasted a little funny, but was still pretty good, I think. Anyways, I think it was a nice service, but I don't know if this church is the right one for me after all. First of all, it's a bit far from my house, and secondly, it feels like it's missing something... I thought the service would be more Catholic-like, but it wasn't and that was a bit of a let down. I like the more formal format of Catholic services at my grandma's church.

But this isn't exactly about picking and choosing which church I like most, now is it? No. If it were about that, I'd just keep attending the Methodist church down the street. But no, this isn't about churches. This is about how I want to conduct myself for the rest of my life, and the Episcopal way might be it, but parts of it still feel a bit watered down when compared to Catholicism. I don't know why I'm so focused on Catholicism, by the way, as that is not the tradition I come from originally. But something about it, at least right now is calling to me... maybe I should stop resisting so much and start looking at it with a more open minded eye.
I'd encourage you to look at all of them. Look at Methodist teaching, Episcopal teaching, Catholic teaching, Orthodox teaching, etc., and see which church gives you life in your soul. If you're like me and you care about history, see which church matches the Church that the first Christians worshipped in, like Polycarp, Justin Martyr and Ignatius of Antioch.

You're right to take your time and to take this seriously. Finding the right church is like finding the right spouse. You need to get to know them before you decide you want to spend the rest of your life with them. And you should want to spend the rest of your life with them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't know why I'm so focused on Catholicism, by the way, as that is not the tradition I come from originally. But something about it, at least right now is calling to me... maybe I should stop resisting so much and start looking at it with a more open minded eye.
And this happened to me as well.