• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I used to be a hindu

Vrindavana Das

If you think it is a none-harming disease, it is perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to his/her own life. Just keep religion (Hinduism) away from it.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
At the expense of sounding rude, I want to point out that a lot of mental speculation is going on here, in the name of Hinduism. Abrahamic faiths do not lend convenience of such mental speculation (due to comparative lack of richness & depth), so, an attempt to exploit Hinduism to suit one's belief & convenience is seen here. Unfortunately, persons with a poor fund of knowledge about Hinduism propagate such incorrect information as facts of scriptures, quoting one's mind as authoritative scriptures. That, however is only as correct, as these person's being a Hindu.

What the scriptures say about homosexuality is as under:

devo 'devāñ jaghanataḥ
sṛjati smātilolupān
ta enaḿ lolupatayā
maithunāyābhipedire​

Lord Brahmā then gave birth to the demons from his buttocks, and they were very fond of sex. Because they were too lustful, they approached him for copulation. [B.G. 30.20.23]

Homosexuality is accepted in Hinduism, to the extent a person afflicted with lust, envy, anger, pride etc. is to be considered liberated and situated in nīrvīkalpa samādhi.

Homosexuality is a demonic tendency and should be avoided. Hinduism is about purifying one's existence to achieve the divine.

What Scripture is that, and when did it reach its current form? 'Cause, frankly, that doesn't sound like a dharmic mindset to me, or a logical one. Passages from Scripture that are clearly adharmic, or have questionable dharma, can and should be discarded freely and intelligently. After all, there's a mathematical error in the Vayu Purana.

Besides, purifying one's existence to reach the divine is an aspect of all religions.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Hello
I used to give worship to lord shiva and planned on celebrating divali and other festivals. I then spoke to another hindu who told me that homosexuality is wrong and that premarital sex is prohibited and that started me on my leaving of hinduism.
Can you accept these things and be a hindu?

Well, here's how I see your issue.

The question is where are you at. A younger soul (I don't mean that as any criticism) is very drawn to things of the physical world like sex. For such people it is encouraged that they practice their sexual life at least in a controlled manner (such as with a married partner). Perhaps for a homosexual this could be a commited partner. Promiscous heterosexual and homsexual sex are frowned upon as harmful to your spiritual growth. The unrestrained freedom and lack of sense control will work against the ultimate goal of a hindu (moving from a physical to a spiritual orientation)

Older souls will have less fascination with physical things and may even completely remove the sensory distraction from their lives and be celibate to better focus on what really matters to them.

Wannabe Yogi

I must say i am not gay but i respect those who are so im looking for for a faith that accepts my veiw

Well then, I would stay away from Vrindavana Das sect. The reason I came to Hinduism is it's open minded attitude. I read a book called My Guru and His Disciple, by Christopher Isherwood. When he told his Guru he was Gay. He was told look on your lover as if he was the Lord Krishna. This was in the 1930's! This sect of Hinduism has had no real scandals to talk of. They have produced many sages and no scandalous behavior (that I know of). My teacher told me that both Homosexual and Heterosexual attachment needs to be broken.

Much of this anti gay stuff is very recent in the history of Hinduism. Old commentaries on the Kama Sutras talk of gay marriage. There are ancient Hindu Temples in India that have carvings depicting gay sex on the outside. Hinduism has more diversity then any other faith. So you will find bigots and saints of all strips.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

Older souls will have less fascination with physical things and may even completely remove the sensory distraction from their lives and be celibate to better focus on what really matters to them.

Why limit God. My view is just do your sadhana. For every step you take toward God. God will take ten to you.

Wannabe Yogi

Do they allow these types of sexuality+do you you know if devotees of shiva do?

The Swami's of the order are celibate. There are many sects and differences among the devotees of Shiva. Vinayaka is a member of a shiva sect. He will know much more about this.

Maya3

Calling homosexuality demonic is horribly rude and wrong.

We are not our bodies, we are all divine and part of God.
Loving another person is wonderful. Gender, appearance, nationality, age etc has nothing to do with it. If you truly get it it you would see that we are all the same, the outer manifestations are what appears different. Don't judge and love everyone equally realizing that we are not separate from each other.

Maya

Wannabe Yogi

Loving another person is wonderful. Gender, appearance, nationality, age etc has nothing to do with it. If you truly get it it you would see that we are all the same, the outer manifestations are what appears different. Don't judge and love everyone equally realizing that we are not separate from each other.

Maya

I could not agree more.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
There are some Hindu traditions that condemn homosexuality but IMO they are influenced by the Muslim and Christians in India. There is no serious case to be made based on scripture and therefore condemning homosexuality is pretty baseless within Vedic religion.

Vrindavana Das

What Scripture is that, and when did it reach its current form? 'Cause, frankly, that doesn't sound like a dharmic mindset to me, or a logical one. Passages from Scripture that are clearly adharmic, or have questionable dharma, can and should be discarded freely and intelligently. After all, there's a mathematical error in the Vayu Purana.

Vedic knowledge is infallible because it comes down through the perfect disciplic succession of spiritual masters, beginning with the Lord Himself. Since He spoke the first word of Vedic knowledge, the source of this knowledge is transcendental. The words spoken by the Lord are called apauruṣeya, which indicates that they are not delivered by any mundane person. A living being who lives in the mundane world has four defects:

1. He is certain to commit mistakes
2. He is subject to illusion
3. He has a propensity to cheat others
4. His senses are imperfect.

No one with these four imperfections can deliver perfect knowledge. The Vedas are not produced by such an imperfect creature. Vedic knowledge was originally imparted by the Lord into the heart of Brahmā, the first created living being, and Brahmā in his turn disseminated this knowledge to his sons and disciples, who have handed it down through history.

A lot of scriptural things may not sound dharmic. To an alcoholic, 'no intoxication' as a scriptural injunction may seem inappropriate. Does that make the scripture imperfect, or is the judgement of the person imperfect, because of his addiction?

Besides, purifying one's existence to reach the divine is an aspect of all religions.

There is a prescribed method for everything. To cure a disease, I must take the medicine as prescribed by the doctor and not based on my intelligence and likes/dislikes. Similarly, there is a method of purification for reaching the divine.

Lord Kṛṣṇa in the Bhagavad Gītā says:

ajñaś cāśraddadhānaś ca
saḿśayātmā vinaśyati
nāyaḿ loko 'sti na paro
na sukhaḿ saḿśayātmanaḥ

But ignorant and faithless persons who doubt the revealed scriptures do not attain God consciousness; they fall down. For the doubting soul there is happiness neither in this world nor in the next.[B.G.4.40]

Maya3

Oh you evil adharmic person you! :) :eek:

I know, isn't it terrible. Now I have to spend all my time with my cute little Grandniece instead :)

We have 5, and it appears at this stage that only one of the 5 will be producing progeny, but 2 are still more or less in the 'haven't decided yet' category.

Aww, that is sweet. If one of them decides to have kids, I bet that baby will have lots of people who will spoil it :)

My standard comment to homophobic teenagers was always the "you know, the worst homophobes at your age are usually gays themselves, attempting to convince everyone else you're not gay." They usually shut up after that.

Yup, it's usually the case.

Maya

Me Myself

Back to my username
I worship Shiva and I have bisexual male friend with a male boyfriend. The way I see it he is way happier in this relationship than how he was before it.

I don´t see it dharmic to discourage what makes him happy specially since it is not hurting him.

I also see nothing wrong on premarital sex.

Vrindavana Das

Because I am not in agreement with something mentioned in the scriptures, does not make it wrong. Our non-adherence to the scriptural injunctions, due to our shortcomings, does not qualify them as wrong.

Maya

Yes. We should love all 'souls', why just persons...birds, trees, animals...everybody. I agree with that. Still, what is incorrect as per the scriptures, is incorrect.

We should love Osama, Hitler, a rapist, a serial killer...everyone. Only their actions are wrong. They, as divine parts and parcels of God, are same as us, and should be loved. Is it not?

I am not saying that homosexuals should be hated. At the level of soul, all should be loved. But, homosexuality, or even heterosexuality for that matter, are material sense gratification activies and certainly are not at the spiritual level. So no parallel can be drawn between these activities and the activities of loving a soul.