• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think that I bought some "white man" habaneros.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just going with the stereotype that white people do not like heat (and I know that is not true for all of us), I almost always buy habanero based salsas, unless I am going to share. But if it is for me it is going to be on the hotter end of the scale. At any rate I have never cooked with them myself. A lot has to do with the fact that I would be the only one eating the food. But I finally broke down and bought some since a side dish called for them and it would not affect the main entree. I am not complaining about the flavor. The simple pickled onions that I made with them are very good and have a mild zing. But that zing is the thing. I used one habanero to one onion. So I made a very small personal batch of black bean soup. Enough for one person as an entree or three people as a side. I used one habanero again. The father of my Costa Rican sister in law sad that it was claimed in Costa Rica that one could flavor three soups. Well again, a low level of heat, but nowhere near the scary hot that they were said to be.

I have had Serrano peppers with this level of heat. Has anyone else could with habaneros?

Flavor again was top notch.

Nimos

Just going with the stereotype that white people do not like heat
I bought a 10+ million scoville hot sauce for my brother for fun :D

For those that don't know the scale, Tabasco is around 30000 to 50000 scoville I think.

We haven't tasted it yet.

But in general, I like hot stuff, and eat a lot of chilli, but I think even that might be to much for me :D

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I bought a 10+ million scoville hot sauce for my brother for fun :D

For those that don't know the scale, Tabasco is around 30000 to 50000 scoville I think.

We haven't tasted it yet.

But in general, I like hot stuff, and eat a lot of chilli, but I think even that might be to much for me :D
Habanero sauces are no problem for me, but when I get the ghost pepper ones then I sit up and notice. And I am sure that you know, but ghost peppers are about 1 million on the Scoville scale. I would dread that 10 million sauce.

Nimos

Habanero sauces are no problem for me, but when I get the ghost pepper ones then I sit up and notice. And I am sure that you know, but ghost peppers are about 1 million on the Scoville scale. I would dread that 10 million sauce.
Same, probably also why we haven't tried it yet :D

I actually wanted to buy him a Pagui one chip, but they were out. Here is a video of their reaction and it is 1.7 million :D

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to like very spicy dishes. Habaneros are right in the middle of my range of heat.

I was in Chongching China a couple of years ago. This is where the original, spicy 'hot pot' was invented. I ordered the spicy beef and some other spicy items for the hot pot. The waitresses were *very* nervous: here is a Caucasian eating what *they* consider to be spicy.

I loved it.

Yes, ghost peppers make one sit up and take notice.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wimp.:p
I like cooking with them, and is when I start wearing gloves if I'll be cutting them or whatever to get juices on my fingers.
I am not always cooking for myself. I am usually cooking for at least two of us. I am the only one that says "bring on the heat". But I was careful and I just got some cooking gloves. I do not know why but these habaneros are weak. The food that I made with them could have been eaten by my housemates. That was my complaint.

Maybe it is the season of year. I have noticed with jalapenos that the heat from them does vary throughout the year.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Various things can effect the scovilles of a chili. For this reason it's possible to even have some variance in hot sauces and foods as it depends on the batch of chilis.
I know, but as I said, I have had Serrano peppers hotter than these. And they are supposed to be about a fifth as hot as habaneros Something is wrong. Or my hot sensors are dead.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, ghost peppers make one sit up and take notice.
I hate all the crap that boasts ghost pepper but scarce amounts of it and thus making them less spicy than some of the Mexican snacks at 711.
And I hate the waiver gimmicks, especially when the hottest available isn't that hot.
I was in Chongching China a couple of years ago. This is where the original, spicy 'hot pot' was invented. I ordered the spicy beef and some other spicy items for the hot pot. The waitresses were *very* nervous: here is a Caucasian eating what *they* consider to be spicy.
This gringo likes hot peppers in her cheese.:cool:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I hate all the crap that boasts ghost pepper but scarce amounts of it and thus making them less spicy than some of the Mexican snacks at 711.
And I hate the waiver gimmicks, especially when the hottest available isn't that hot.

This gringo likes hot peppers in her cheese.:cool:
Tillamook has a pepper jack with habanero peppers in it. It is not hot. But it is still dang good.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do find a lot of very flavorful hot things often aren't really that hot but are absolutely delicious. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
Tillamook is an Oregon based brand, but aren't you in California now? If you were still in Ohio I would doubt if it is out there. Or was that Indiana? One of those two Republican hell holes seems to ring a bell when it comes to you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Tillamook is an Oregon based brand, but aren't you in California now? If you were still in Ohio I would doubt if it is out there. Or was that Indiana? One of those two Republican hell holes seems to ring a bell when it comes to you.
It was Indiana and they don't have Tillamook (or the general culture of lots of local or localish brands in the markets). Tillamook I do tend to like. Though my favorite has been Rosa Brothers. It's just around here, but the best milk I've had (and comes in regular, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, banana and rootbeer float), somehow doesn't upset my dairy sensitive stomach and best of all is from the same place Steve Perry was born.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It was Indiana and they don't have Tillamook (or the general culture of lots of local or localish brands in the markets). Tillamook I do tend to like. Though my favorite has been Rosa Brothers. It's just around here, but the best milk I've had (and comes in regular, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, banana and rootbeer float), somehow doesn't upset my dairy sensitive stomach and best of all is from the same place Steve Perry was born.
That cheese may be okay for you too. Most cheeses have rennet in them. I do not know if that causes a problem for you. That cheese does not. It might not technically be a "cheese" but it sure tasted good to me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That cheese may be okay for you too. Most cheeses have rennet in them. I do not know if that causes a problem for you. That cheese does not. It might not technically be a "cheese" but it sure tasted good to me.
I usually have to pile on very heavy amounts of cheese to bother me. I don't really get how it works. Small amounts I'm ok with. More than that and I need Lactaspills. But somehow, Rosa Brother's is fine with my stomach. And it's so good I filled my belly once with it an didn't realize it until I felt a heavy, liquid fullness in my stomach. But nothing happened. I can't finish a small sundae without problems. But the Holy Steve Perry Milk is just fine.