• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think I might have found an answer in Sikhi, but feel like I'm flip-flo

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
I've been away from the forums for some time and in that time I've been doing a lot of thinking, reading, research and general contemplation on who I think God is, what I believe and why. It has led me to move away from Christianity as a whole (I've come to the conclusion that any link I have to it is purely cultural rather than it being a source of any sort of faith), away from Islam (another religion I'd considered but found to have many issues with) and several other religious paths.

Skip forward to a month or so ago when I discovered a book on Guru Nanak-ji I'd bought some time ago and largely forgotten about. It's led me to really get back into reading about Sikhism, and unlike last time where my reading was purely for study, I'm very much in love with its teachings and to me, these feel more right than anything I've read.

I feel like I'm flip-flopping between faiths though, and I am hoping people here can help me in discerning whether this is a passing interest or something much more serious. To practice and convert to Sikhism is no easy thing, and it would be a great blow to me if a few months down the line I wander away again after getting involved.

Kenaz

I Am
I do not have any answers, but I share the same feelings as you. I have tried many systems, become passionate, and then moved to another. In between, I will have periods of agnosticism and, for a time, very strong atheism and anti-theism. As of now, here I am considering the Mormon Church -- which seems CRAZY to me. Half of me was surprised from their interpretations and practices. While I doubt it in many ways, it still is feeling more 'right' than I had ever expected. I feel like I am judging my own rationality and grounding.

However, the fact I went from someone so agnostic/atheist, with a more spiritual and universalist, agnostic approach, being curious to simply understand their beliefs, I find 'something there' that has me infatuated. I am nervous for myself, but not sure what this all means.

IdiNaPut

I think I'm just going to have to take this one step at a time...it's all I can do.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As of now, here I am considering the Mormon Church -- which seems CRAZY to me. Half of me was surprised from their interpretations and practices. While I doubt it in many ways, it still is feeling more 'right' than I had ever expected.
Just as a heads up... if you ever have any questions about Mormonism that you would prefer not to discuss on the public forums, I'm always happy to answer them. I think you'd find me not only knowledgeable but pretty forthright and honest in addressing some of the more "difficult and/or controversial" issues that may arise in your mind. And, I NEVER proselytize. Feel free to PM me any time.

Kenaz

I Am
I think I'm just going to have to take this one step at a time...it's all I can do.
As someone, somewhere, once said... "taste the pudding." Try things out. What works for you? What speaks to you as Truth, with every fiber of your being, changing and providing a testament that, in the very least it is useful as it promises.

IdiNaPut

As someone, somewhere, once said... "taste the pudding." Try things out. What works for you? What speaks to you as Truth, with every fiber of your being, changing and providing a testament that, in the very least it is useful as it promises.

this is sort of where the problem lies in that all too often I've gone into a religious belief or denomination of that religion thinking 'great, I've found what I'm looking for' only to then suddenly find that once I've actually gotten in that deep, problems start appearing or the rosy image I've been fed by that group disappears, leaving me back at square 1.

Ralphg

Well you are definitely on the right path because 'Belief' is in the Heart not in the Head.
Congratulations with the efforts you take on your quest finding a suitable belief-system because when it's time to judge you all deities will tell the Judge what you have done during your life-time and All-Mother herself will surely defend you with the words:
"You are thinking about me" (a sentence I've received during an angelic meeting regarding on how people get judged). A sentence which will speak greatly in your favor!

Kenaz

I Am
this is sort of where the problem lies in that all too often I've gone into a religious belief or denomination of that religion thinking 'great, I've found what I'm looking for' only to then suddenly find that once I've actually gotten in that deep, problems start appearing or the rosy image I've been fed by that group disappears, leaving me back at square 1.

One thing I struggle with is the rebellion I feel at the notion of rules; such as dietary restrictions or laws that ask one to refrain from sex before marriage, same sex encounters or even love, and so forth. I ask, is this just my stubbornness and a thing I do not like, or should I find greater reward from obediance? Is there actually something I need to understand, or cannot, but must have faith in?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I've been away from the forums for some time and in that time I've been doing a lot of thinking, reading, research and general contemplation on who I think God is, what I believe and why. It has led me to move away from Christianity as a whole (I've come to the conclusion that any link I have to it is purely cultural rather than it being a source of any sort of faith), away from Islam (another religion I'd considered but found to have many issues with) and several other religious paths.

Skip forward to a month or so ago when I discovered a book on Guru Nanak-ji I'd bought some time ago and largely forgotten about. It's led me to really get back into reading about Sikhism, and unlike last time where my reading was purely for study, I'm very much in love with its teachings and to me, these feel more right than anything I've read.

I feel like I'm flip-flopping between faiths though, and I am hoping people here can help me in discerning whether this is a passing interest or something much more serious. To practice and convert to Sikhism is no easy thing, and it would be a great blow to me if a few months down the line I wander away again after getting involved.

It's no fun feeling like you're in spiritual limbo. I am there as well. Just keep researching and trying things out until something fits. If you keep reverting back to one specific thing, maybe that's where you should stay a while. There's no rule that says you can't try different things out. There are too many interesting religions out there to stay stuck with something you fit into.

IdiNaPut

It's no fun feeling like you're in spiritual limbo. I am there as well. Just keep researching and trying things out until something fits. If you keep reverting back to one specific thing, maybe that's where you should stay a while. There's no rule that says you can't try different things out. There are too many interesting religions out there to stay stuck with something you fit into.

I just don't want to be one of these people who 'window shops' for whatever religion seems a good idea or trendy or whatever, or picks and chooses bits based on what feels good as opposed to what is true. If I truly believe a religious system is going to mean salvation, then I would see it as trivialising the whole notion if my religious beliefs changed with my underwear/feelings/day of the week or whatever.

I've immersed myself in Sikhi more and more recently, and to be honest I'm wondering if all my worries about flip-flopping are just pointless worries. I mean, aside from the fact no-ones faith is the same, and different people reach their own conclusions in different ways and in different times, what matters to me is that I'm very happy here and now. Gurbani and kirtan, and the nitnem prayers, make me happier than I've ever known before. I'd even argue my faith in God is saved because of Sikhism.

Jedster

I just don't want to be one of these people who 'window shops' for whatever religion seems a good idea or trendy or whatever, or picks and chooses bits based on what feels good as opposed to what is true. If I truly believe a religious system is going to mean salvation, then I would see it as trivialising the whole notion if my religious beliefs changed with my underwear/feelings/day of the week or whatever.

I've immersed myself in Sikhi more and more recently, and to be honest I'm wondering if all my worries about flip-flopping are just pointless worries. I mean, aside from the fact no-ones faith is the same, and different people reach their own conclusions in different ways and in different times, what matters to me is that I'm very happy here and now. Gurbani and kirtan, and the nitnem prayers, make me happier than I've ever known before. I'd even argue my faith in God is saved because of Sikhism.
Have read anything of Kabir,who is revered by Sikhs and others?
Here's link to some of his poems.

http://www.poemhunter.com/kabir/

Last edited:

IdiNaPut

Why do you think that Sikhism is right?

Equality of all people, equality between men and women (including being able to lead religious services), no 'believe in Sikhi or go to hell' mentality and no evangelisation or pushing the religion, the idea of selfless service (sewa), a long history of service to their respective countries, no overly complicated rules (the Sikh rule book, the Rehat Maryada, is less than 30 pages. The mountains of rules and prohibitions were for me a key sticking point for Islam, which seems to be ridiculously specific and sometimes even overwhelming), an overall practical approach to the religion (can't do something? Do it the best you can or even not at all if totally necessary).

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
.......Skip forward to a month or so ago when I discovered a book on Guru Nanak-ji I'd bought some time ago and largely forgotten about. It's led me to really get back into reading about Sikhism, and unlike last time where my reading was purely for study, I'm very much in love with its teachings and to me, these feel more right than anything I've read.......
Peace be on you....As as seeker you might want to read resources / views about Hazrat Baba Guru Nanak sahib :
https://www.alislam.org/egazette/updates/sri-guru-granth-sahib-a-brief-history/
https://www.alislam.org/egazette/updates/baba-guru-nanak-a-muslim-saint/

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

A true belief in God and his attributes will certainly lead to believing in God Guidance, i.e. a true religion..

The challenge is that many [false] religions will share some true beliefs with that true religion...

I mean, what is available out there is not the good and the bad, but also there is also the grey area where honey is mixed with the poison!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One thing I struggle with is the rebellion I feel at the notion of rules; such as dietary restrictions or laws that ask one to refrain from sex before marriage, same sex encounters or even love, and so forth. I ask, is this just my stubbornness and a thing I do not like, or should I find greater reward from obediance? Is there actually something I need to understand, or cannot, but must have faith in?
If I may make a suggestion, I think it is a good idea to ask oneself "what should the purpose of rules be in my beliefs" and find one's own answer before attempting to adjust to the expectations of any specific religious body.

How necessary exactly it is to keep to the directives set by that religious body?

How constructive is the way it deals with any conceivale mistakes or disagreements from those directives?

How is your own personal expectation on your dealing with others far as strictness, forgiveness and acceptance of different interpretations go?

People need a measure of common language, and arguably also of attitude, for any useful interactions in a religious body to be possible.

That must however be balanced with the very real concern that there is definitely such a thing as expecting too much from people, and it can be very destructive.

I suppose many will disagree with me here, but an additional concern that I have is that a religion needs to have efficient mechanisms to allow for adherents to correct its course. Which is to say, there must be a good helping of welcoming questioning, mutual discussion and clarification. That will more likely than not change much of the religion along time, as IMO it should, since our cultural and ethical possibilities certainly do. Since I do not believe that religion has any supernatural aspects whatsoever, that is the ideal for any religion far as I am personally concerned.

allfoak

Alchemist

What you are doing is perfectly normal.
This flip -flop idea that you have in your head was also put there by your christian roots.
A seeker is not concerned with labels.