• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think I identify as Spiritual now (Update/Continuing Hiatus)

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
My world was shaken so to speak when I concluded that Buddhism might not be where I wanted to remain. I made another thread about factors that prompted this conclusion, so I won't expound further here.

It was a big step because I was a practicing Buddhist roughly ten years and my entire adult life. Encountering Hinduism on this forum made me rethink.

I definitely still have a Dharmic slant, but now that I've lost my confidence in organized Buddhism- I think I'd be okay identifying as Spiritual like so many do in today's world.

I do think Bhedabheda Vedanta is informing my spirituality a good deal these days, but Buddhism continues having it's influencing presence too.

I'll probably stay off of here as I sort it all out, but I wanted to update all my friends on here. I think Spiritual without an organized religion is okay for me.

In a sense it's a return to my skeptical roots and I mentioned that in the other thread too: that once my doubt for Buddhism came on, the doubt came back strong. I was an agnostic atheist growing up, so in some ways my skeptical tendencies always continue.

I've concluded that I definitely believe in Brahman. I accept the Jivatman view of Bhedabheda and have been employing some practice, including meditation.

I couldn't possibly give up the deities I've had in my life as a Buddhist, but my view there is shifting some too. I am entertaining in a very Bhedabheda fashion that it's possible for the deities to be Brahman and distinct- and they can in fact be both.

Well that's probably a sloppy explanation for what I mean.

Anyway- cheers folks. Be well.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It takes a lot of courage to change your views. As you said, your ‘world was shaken’. Hope you continue growing.

Best wishes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My world was shaken so to speak when I concluded that Buddhism might not be where I wanted to remain. I made another thread about factors that prompted this conclusion, so I won't expound further here.

It was a big step because I was a practicing Buddhist roughly ten years and my entire adult life. Encountering Hinduism on this forum made me rethink.

I definitely still have a Dharmic slant, but now that I've lost my confidence in organized Buddhism- I think I'd be okay identifying as Spiritual like so many do in today's world.

I do think Bhedabheda Vedanta is informing my spirituality a good deal these days, but Buddhism continues having it's influencing presence too.

I'll probably stay off of here as I sort it all out, but I wanted to update all my friends on here. I think Spiritual without an organized religion is okay for me.

In a sense it's a return to my skeptical roots and I mentioned that in the other thread too: that once my doubt for Buddhism came on, the doubt came back strong. I was an agnostic atheist growing up, so in some ways my skeptical tendencies always continue.

I've concluded that I definitely believe in Brahman. I accept the Jivatman view of Bhedabheda and have been employing some practice, including meditation.

I couldn't possibly give up the deities I've had in my life as a Buddhist, but my view there is shifting some too. I am entertaining in a very Bhedabheda fashion that it's possible for the deities to be Brahman and distinct- and they can in fact be both.

Best wishes and remember,...

....Life is a boat, and Buddhism is Hotel California. ;0)

David T

Premium Member

I I keep saying you may suffer from a severe mental disorder which generally is diagnosed as artist.....I think that the psychology/ psychiatric world would definitely include it in their DSM but I think enough of them secretly want be artists that it keeps them from labelling it as a disorder. I finally accepted it as such for myself and realized oh now it makes sense! Lol... all will be ok.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
@Buddha Dharma I think you have made a brave and principled decision, clearly after much soul-searching. I commend you for having the guts to listen to your conscience and pursue a new religious path.

As a lifelong Catholic, I am fully cognizant of how committed and emotionally attached people can become to traditions, practices and rituals they've been devoted to following and learning about for years.

But we should always be ready to change our mind, if and when our conscience demands it.

Evidently, you posses an open-mind. Good luck! I'm interested to see where things go from here.