• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think I could be addicted

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
Never thought it could happen to me. yes I'm a Smart Phone (borderline addict) Thinking that I will put the Smart phone away for a month and go back to my old Nokia

Help

Cooky

Veteran Member
Never thought it could happen to me. yes I'm a Smart Phone (borderline addict) Thinking that I will put the Smart phone away for a month and go back to my old Nokia

Help

Welcome to awareness of addiction. You're now officially screwed. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
AS long you reconize the addiction you can do something about it :)
A lot of problems today is that people are attached and addicted to digital objects they do not know how to live without digital things anymore

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Help
After avoiding getting a cell phone/smart phone, since their inception, I am the last computer geek on the planet to finally get a smart phone. I think it is now fully charged and simply haven't bothered to finish setting it up. I guess I will finish that sometime today. I got a Samsumg Galaxy 8 summin or other and a 2 year basic plan from Virgin. I'll get a charger for the car next week as I got the bloody thing because of my recent 5 day power failure here in paradise.

Due to my extremely negative perception of cell phones/smart phones I don't think addiction will ever be a problem for me. Good luck though, @Trackdayguy

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
After avoiding getting a cell phone/smart phone, since their inception, I am finally the last computer geek on the planet to finally get a smart phone. I think it is now fully charged and simply haven't bothered to finish setting it up. I guess I will finish that sometime today. I got a Samsumg Galaxy 8 summin or other and a 2 year basic plan from Virgin. I'll get a charger for the car next week as I got the bloody thing because of my recent 5 day power failure here in paradise.
I still don't own one. Boss has one she takes when we travel so we can communicate with the people in the destination city or place. I do carry the computer, and check my email once daily. I like watching sports games on TV, and observing the crowd texting while missing he game they paid a couple hundred bucks for. That's fascinating to me.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I still don't own one. Boss has one she takes when we travel so we can communicate with the people in the destination city or place. I do carry the computer, and check my email once daily. I like watching sports games on TV, and observing the crowd texting while missing he game they paid a couple hundred bucks for. That's fascinating to me.
It sounds like we see crowd dynamics through a very similar lens! Neat. It is reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I have grown accustom to not being available and don't plan on changing that any time soon.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Help

Ha. Don't feel bad. I have a cell phone, a tablet, and a laptop. Every two years my cell phone likes to go haywire. I dropped it and had to get a replacement. I went nuts. Then, I got this Nook tablet I cant even part with. I really don't need it now that I have my laptop. The original one got stolen so, I got this for Christmas.

Good note. I can see my screen and blow it up more.

I have to find a job after the holidays; so, I'm bore as heck. I'm aware, but I'm wondering if I should care....moderation?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am the last computer geek on the planet to finally get a smart phone.

Due to my extremely negative perception of cell phones/smart phones I don't think addiction will ever be a problem for me.

Try this new scenario. Stop using the computer, regular telephone nor TV, newspaper (I don't have those, that's easy).

BUT: Smartphone is on your desk.

IF you still don't touch the smartphone then you are definitely a "non addictive smartphone owner"

(I have a laptop and landline + a smartphone (since a few years; I beat you to that), and I take my smartphone outside maybe once a year. Maybe every other month someone calls me on it and I call also once a month using it. But if I ditch my laptop and landline, I am quite sure I will use the smartphone more. BUT RF will be finished because typing on a smartphone is just too much for me;))

So it's very good possible to not get addicted IMO, because I am too lazy to type on smartphones.

One extra scenario. A fantastic looking babe is texting me all day. Even that would not get me started though. I have one criteria for a good relationship. Don't use smartphones.;)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It sounds like we see crowd dynamics through a very similar lens! Neat. It is reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I have grown accustom to not being available and don't plan on changing that any time soon.

My sampradaya's monks carry them throughout the day, mostly just so they can communicate with each other, but one whom I have worked with some, was sort of surprised when he discovered there was no way to get hold of me. Things like last minute cancellations on his part, due to something more important coming up. I found that sort of ironic. But they also turn them totally off from 6 to 6 I think. Maybe longer.

Definitely a new addiction. Sad, as I see it. You could miss seeing something really beautiful. Surely the message can wait. But it used to be with answering the phone. Many folks don't realise that they don't HAVE to answer the phone. Whomever it is will phone back it it's important.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It's a phone, get the cheapest basic Jitterbug you can find as it has all the functions a phone actually needs.
Perks:
-no one will want to steal it
-Small children of in laws won't be tempted to play with it
-If it breaks it's cheap to replace
-You can flip it open and say "beam me up Scotty"

Help

Its not the phone im adicted to, its dicussing religious stuff with you that im adicted too. The phone is just a channel for it.