• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Think Atheists Should Have Holidays

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Wow, it never made any difference to me if i worked sunday.
Depends on the job.

Back when I was an employee, at some rare occasions I had to work on saturday. Working on saturday I got 150% pay.
We didn't have to work on sundays. A buddy of mine did sometimes. He then got 200% pay.

At the docks, when a holiday falls on a sunday, then all hell breaks loose and workers almost fight with eachother to be able to come in. They get 300% then.
100% for the days work + 100% extra because it's sunday + 100% extra because it is a holiday.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Hot on the heels of "The Brights" we now present "The National Day of Reason" because you might not have got the message that everyone is stupid except us :smirk:
Anyone self-describing as a bright needs to have a serious word with themself. Is it still a thing, or has it been replaced by Brilliants? *******.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Depends on the job.

Back when I was an employee, at some rare occasions I had to work on saturday. Working on saturday I got 150% pay.
We didn't have to work on sundays. A buddy of mine did sometimes. He then got 200% pay.

At the docks, when a holiday falls on a sunday, then all hell breaks loose and workers almost fight with eachother to be able to come in. They get 300% then.
100% for the days work + 100% extra because it's sunday + 100% extra because it is a holiday.

I worked for myself so my salary didn't vary whether i worked holidays, Sundays or all nighters.

Audie

Veteran Member
I consider myself atheist from the time I left the church to when I decided to become a cult leader. I messed with some of the new age stuff but at the end of the day I was not a part of any organized religion. I feel like you're gatekeeping being atheist because I was a hardcore atheist in high school. But maybe it doesn't matter anyway, since it is quite a leap to go from atheist to starting a new religion.

The great majority of "were" atheist follow
just that pattern, so no gatekeepers involved.

There's no leap in swinging between extremes, just instability

Anyone self-describing as a bright needs to have a serious word with themself. Is it still a thing, or has it been replaced by Brilliants? *******.

It still absolutely dumbfounds me that highly intelligent people like Richard Dawkins thought that was a good idea and that it would catch on.

I can't imagine someone suggesting that and being met with anything other than a tremendously embarrassed silence after it dawned on folk that the suggestion was actually made in all seriousness.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
It still absolutely dumbfounds me that highly intelligent people like Richard Dawkins thought that was a good idea and that it would catch on.

I can't imagine someone suggesting that and being met with anything other than a tremendously embarrassed silence after it dawned on folk that the suggestion was actually made in all seriousness.

Surely not.

"Dawkins compares the coining of bright to the "triumph of consciousness-raising" from the term gay:

Gay is succinct, uplifting, positive: an "up" word, where homosexual is a down word, and queer, ****** and pooftah are insults. Those of us who subscribe to no religion; those of us whose view of the universe is natural rather than supernatural; those of us who rejoice in the real and scorn the false comfort of the unreal, we need a word of our own, a word like "gay" ... a noun hijacked from an adjective, with its original meaning changed but not too much. Like gay, it should be catchy: a potentially prolific meme. Like gay, it should be positive, warm, cheerful, bright."

- Brights movement - Wikipedia

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In france (not sure about elsewhere) if a public holiday falls on a sunday then monday is given as an extra day off work.

Generally here too, although it depends on the holiday, and the state.

(ANZAC Day is the main exception. Some states/territories have a Monday holiday in lieu, but majority don't.)

Clizby Wampuscat

There are so many days that Atheists could celebrate, such as Albert Einstein's birthday, the National Day Of Reason, or some other days that are good such as the birthday of the person who founded Atheism. Atheist people could light lanterns, celebrate, have parades, or it can be a day to go out and do normal stuff.

I used to practice atheism so I can admit that there is not really a sense of tradition or grandeur in Atheism. You just do nothing. There are no gods in atheism and you do not really develop supernatural powers or do anything that isn't explained by secular logic. I guess for some people that is good but it seems that Atheists cannot cast a spell or talk to ghosts like spiritualists can.
The only holiday I do not celebrate is Easter. I don't need any additional atheist holidays except national ice cream day Dec 13th, I can just take a day off.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There are so many days that Atheists could celebrate, such as Albert Einstein's birthday, the National Day Of Reason, or some other days that are good such as the birthday of the person who founded Atheism. Atheist people could light lanterns, celebrate, have parades, or it can be a day to go out and do normal stuff.

I used to practice atheism so I can admit that there is not really a sense of tradition or grandeur in Atheism. You just do nothing. There are no gods in atheism and you do not really develop supernatural powers or do anything that isn't explained by secular logic. I guess for some people that is good but it seems that Atheists cannot cast a spell or talk to ghosts like spiritualists can.
Atheists having holy days makes a ton of sense. Lol.