• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Think Atheists Should Have Holidays

CharmingOwl

There are so many days that Atheists could celebrate, such as Albert Einstein's birthday, the National Day Of Reason, or some other days that are good such as the birthday of the person who founded Atheism. Atheist people could light lanterns, celebrate, have parades, or it can be a day to go out and do normal stuff.

I used to practice atheism so I can admit that there is not really a sense of tradition or grandeur in Atheism. You just do nothing. There are no gods in atheism and you do not really develop supernatural powers or do anything that isn't explained by secular logic. I guess for some people that is good but it seems that Atheists cannot cast a spell or talk to ghosts like spiritualists can.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There are so many days that Atheists could celebrate, such as Albert Einstein's birthday, the National Day Of Reason, or some other days that are good such as the birthday of the person who founded Atheism. Atheist people could light lanterns, celebrate, have parades, or it can be a day to go out and do normal stuff.

I used to practice atheism so I can admit that there is not really a sense of tradition or grandeur in Atheism. You just do nothing. There are no gods in atheism and you do not really develop supernatural powers or do anything that isn't explained by secular logic. I guess for some people that is good but it seems that Atheists cannot cast a spell or talk to ghosts like spiritualists can.
Atheism isn't a religion and it has no practices or beliefs. Good luck convincing a nonreligious person to celebrate these holidays, or a child with no beliefs about God, or the squirrels in my tree.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The vast majority of holidays nationally participated in are so secularized I as an irreligious person have no qualms participating in them. Especially ones geared more towards family fun while ignoring commercial aspects.

I do admit one of the things I love about Japan, however, is more eveyday festivals. Daughter's Day or Summer Matsuri, etc.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There is. Its called your birthday.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Aprils Fool's day isn't a secular holiday, but rather something that originated in meanness and spite and falsely trying to justify your feelings of superiority over others. Thus, those who had more important things to worry about than a calendar were dubbed fools for not keeping up with stuff that was utterly irrelevant to them. Which makes it pretty Christian as they have a long tradition and history of believing they are better than everybody else. Like how Paul wrote the fool/atheist believes there is no god.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There are so many days that Atheists could celebrate,

Im atheiest, we celebrate saturnalia for our winter holidays, the children prefer because they get more presents.

I don't really celebrate national holidays though we'll sometimes have a bbq and invite a few friends who are off work that day.

There are enough fetes or night market's going on in summer to have a good time 2 or 3 times a week...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
April Fools Day is the day I think of believers.
And relish the fact that I'm not one of them.

I aspire to be a fool in the tradition of Mullah Nasruddin

Once someone was said to have asked him, “Mullah, which is better—the sun or the moon?” After stroking his beard a few times, the Mullah answered, “Obviously the moon!” “But why, Mullah, why?” “Because the sun shines during the daytime when it’s light out anyway!”

On another occasion, the Mullah was outside his house searching for something in the middle of the night. When his wife went out to find him, there he was under the street lantern. “What in the world are you doing out here so late?” She asked. “I’m looking for my house key.” “Well, where did you lose it?” She asked. “Over by the door.” “Well, why are you looking for it over by the street lantern?” “Simple,” the Mullah answered. “The light is better here!”

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I aspire to be a fool in the tradition of Mullah Nasruddin

Once someone was said to have asked him, “Mullah, which is better—the sun or the moon?” After stroking his beard a few times, the Mullah answered, “Obviously the moon!” “But why, Mullah, why?” “Because the sun shines during the daytime when it’s light out anyway!”

On another occasion, the Mullah was outside his house searching for something in the middle of the night. When his wife went out to find him, there he was under the street lantern. “What in the world are you doing out here so late?” She asked. “I’m looking for my house key.” “Well, where did you lose it?” She asked. “Over by the door.” “Well, why are you looking for it over by the street lantern?” “Simple,” the Mullah answered. “The light is better here!”
I've always been a secular fool.