• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I stay off of commercial planes as much as possible.

Jonathan Bailey

I avoid air travel like the plague!

I do so for several reasons:

1. the government could shoot me down and murder me as a passenger in certain situations as in hijackings and terror takeovers of the planes

2. I am not allowed to be armed on board as a passenger for my own self-preservation

3. I hate the TSA a_sholes at the airports: the last time I flew commercial was in late 2002, the TSA jerks hassled me about a gold Parker pen/pencil set in my briefcase: they were fingering all through my personal briefcase; I don't like this patting-down crap either, I prefer human dignity and liberty over "safety"

4. I hate how airlines nickel and dime you these days for extra baggage, headphones, pillows and blankets... things that used to be complementary and not charged extra to the customer

5. the stewardesses aren't as nice and as attractive as they used to be

6. airport parking costs an arm and a leg

7. I hate dealing with taxi companies

8. I am not sure there is adequate armed security on board as armed sky marshalls and armed cockpit crews: there are guns and special ammunition available designed not to pierce aircraft skin but still effectively bring down dangerous people on board

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
And Boeing has had problems because they keep attaching bigger and bigger engines to the same 52 year old 737 frame.

Ellen Brown

In the last 15 years, when ever I have flown, I have been in full Abaya and Hijab and never had a problem except when I did not know about the electronic ticket thing, around 2008 or so. The United Airlines guy was really snotty, but the Inspector was really helpful. Finally the United Airlines Supervisor helped me and it was all OK. Another time, an Air Marshal, hung out very close to me on the plane, and we got to be great friends. I last flew around 2017 and everything was fine, though there were no good meals. With my worsening COPD and advanced age, I do not plan to fly again.

David T

Premium Member
The last I recall you didn't like the staff at your homeless shelter or the cleaning products they used.

Now you're complaining about the security staff in the airport?
Maybe the problem isn't everyone else? Maybe it's you?
Tom
Ouch.... but sometimes.....reminds me at a meeting once. Someone whined about the same nonsense for months i called them on it. And boom the meeting exploded and i got kicked out... Lol... I dont know why, i was silent for 6 months! Seems i was way too patient actually. People sometimes dont actually really want to get better.

SugarOcean

¡pɹᴉǝM ʎɐʇS
The last time I flew commercial was in 2000. Family were returning home from Ohio. About four aisles in front of us a passengers seat air phone started ringing. No one answered it of course.Talk about a wrong number and hella long distance charges.
After 2001 I wondered what would have happened had that passenger picked up the line.

I like trains too. Amtrak has great routes and the non-stop Amtrak Auto-Train lets me bring my car so that when I disembark in Florida I'm on the road in no time.
Not fond of buses though. The noise of their diesel just invades everything. Unless you have Bose noise cancelling headphones.

Watchmen

Premium Member
In the last 15 years, when ever I have flown, I have been in full Abaya and Hijab and never had a problem except when I did not know about the electronic ticket thing, around 2008 or so. The United Airlines guy was really snotty, but the Inspector was really helpful. Finally the United Airlines Supervisor helped me and it was all OK. Another time, an Air Marshal, hung out very close to me on the plane, and we got to be great friends. I last flew around 2017 and everything was fine, though there were no good meals. With my worsening COPD and advanced age, I do not plan to fly again.
Just curious, but do you know what TSA does when a passenger shows up with a purdah? Does the passenger have to reveal her face to TSA?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it is a great job they do in difficult times.

I enjoy flying and do not do any where as much as I would, if I could.

Great Planes, great meals, great people, all at amazing prices these days.

Good on you all.

Like all things, it carries a calculated risk.

Regards Tony

Bob the Unbeliever

I avoid air travel like the plague!

I do so for several reasons:

1. the government could shoot me down and murder me as a passenger in certain situations as in hijackings and terror takeovers of the planes

2. I am not allowed to be armed on board as a passenger for my own self-preservation

3. I hate the TSA a_sholes at the airports: the last time I flew commercial was in late 2002, the TSA jerks hassled me about a gold Parker pen/pencil set in my briefcase: they were fingering all through my personal briefcase; I don't like this patting-down crap either, I prefer human dignity and liberty over "safety"

4. I hate how airlines nickel and dime you these days for extra baggage, headphones, pillows and blankets... things that used to be complementary and not charged extra to the customer

5. the stewardesses aren't as nice and as attractive as they used to be

6. airport parking costs an arm and a leg

7. I hate dealing with taxi companies

8. I am not sure there is adequate armed security on board as armed sky marshalls and armed cockpit crews: there are guns and special ammunition available designed not to pierce aircraft skin but still effectively bring down dangerous people on board

Apart from the sexist comment #5, I pretty much agree with nearly everything you posted, here.

But as for #2? I would submit that the majority of idiots who run around armed? Have no real clue which end to point downrange, having practiced not at all.

Anyone who is proficient, and can demonstrate proficiency (not just brag about how many beer cans he's shot up)? And was sporting frangible ammunition? Is a different story. Modern ammo is too intense for the fragile and confined spaces of airplanes anyway. A modern TASER or similar would actually be far more effective anyway... but that's a completely different Story.

Last time I flew... back in the early aughts. Before all the BS really. Back when the Airlines saw you as an actual customer, and not a commodity to package as tightly and efficiently as possible, dehumanizing wherever needed to shoe-horn yet one more seat...

... I'm truly surprised they haven't suggested mandatory tranquilizers and/or sleeping pills....

Think: The space travel in the movie, The Fifth Element: Into a coffin-like compartment you go. Flip the switch-- instant zombie. No complaints. No bathroom breaks. No snacks, no food, no need for entertainments. None of that-- pack'em in like sardines in a can, insentient, dumb and mindless.

Exactly how Airline Executives view their passengers, come to think of it...

Ellen Brown

Just curious, but do you know what TSA does when a passenger shows up with a purdah? Does the passenger have to reveal her face to TSA?

I wear Hijab but not face covering. There is not actually Quranic support for Niqab (Purdah). I've never seen what happens, but perhaps the proper thing would be to take her in another room with a woman, to show her face. I wouldn't expect that respect.

In the Trump world, I would not have the courage to wear Niqab. I have talked with many women who wear it, and one said she did it for privacy, even from other Muslims. It is sad how snippy and gossipy some people are. I can understand her doing that.

Jonathan Bailey

Apart from the sexist comment #5, I pretty much agree with nearly everything you posted, here.

But as for #2? I would submit that the majority of idiots who run around armed? Have no real clue which end to point downrange, having practiced not at all.

Anyone who is proficient, and can demonstrate proficiency (not just brag about how many beer cans he's shot up)? And was sporting frangible ammunition? Is a different story. Modern ammo is too intense for the fragile and confined spaces of airplanes anyway. A modern TASER or similar would actually be far more effective anyway... but that's a completely different Story.

Last time I flew... back in the early aughts. Before all the BS really. Back when the Airlines saw you as an actual customer, and not a commodity to package as tightly and efficiently as possible, dehumanizing wherever needed to shoe-horn yet one more seat...

... I'm truly surprised they haven't suggested mandatory tranquilizers and/or sleeping pills....

Think: The space travel in the movie, The Fifth Element: Into a coffin-like compartment you go. Flip the switch-- instant zombie. No complaints. No bathroom breaks. No snacks, no food, no need for entertainments. None of that-- pack'em in like sardines in a can, insentient, dumb and mindless.

Exactly how Airline Executives view their passengers, come to think of it...

Hollow Points and Glaser Safety Slug rounds are perfect for airplane cabin safety in common non-magnum handgun calibers. Better to risk a bullet hole in the airplane than to allow the goons full control of the cockpit 9/11 style. Yes, defending against terrorists has some risks. Not challenging terrorists with adequate weapon power is even more risky. I was a soldier and now I'm home defender and a hunter. I know something about weapons and guns. The sky marshals that do carry guns use the proper handguns, ammo and calibers for safety sense. Modern Glaser ammunition is detuned in power.It has low penetration by man stopping power still. It was originally designed for use in aircraft cabins by sky marshals in the 1970s. TASERs lack the repeating firepower of modern autoloading handguns and revolvers when confronting bad guys in numbers. A TASER is a one-shot deal for one opponent. A TASER has limited range and accuracy. It had much less penetration power (needed to get the electrodes to bare skin through thick clothing) than even the most frangible Glaser round has to punch through thick clothing. A Glacer round or two will still knock down and incapacitate a bad man in body armor long enough to restrain him, knock him out cold, kill him with a close head shot and/or disarm him.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is far more dangerous.

"Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that in 2015, there were 32,166 fatal motor vehicle accidents that lead to just over 35,000 deaths. That comes out to be 1.13 fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled, and nearly 11 people for every 100,000 U.S. residents.

Contrast these numbers to U.S. airlineaccidents recorded by the National Transportation Safety Board: In 2015, preliminary statistics revealed a total of 27 total accidents — zero of which was fatal. Of the accidents that did occur, just 0.155 happened for every 100,000 flight hours. Airline accidents per one million miles flown came in at a rate of 0.0035."

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...EBAK&usg=AOvVaw0WH77c9FiqSvdWWvX48xo_&ampcf=1

Regards Tony