• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I sold my childhood toys, and am going to invest the proceeds in a drug lab...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Catchy title, right?

As some of you might know, I am now a father of three, with our latest addition being 7 months old. She has 2 sisters, who are 10 and 12, so bit of a gap. I lost my home office, as it was converted to a nursery (although at our age, 'converted' is a big word for doing as little as possible. I built a cot, cleaned all my crap out, and replaced my basketball memorabilia with pictures of Aussie flowers and animals).

Anyway, eventually the baby will move into the spare bedroom we have, so I'm slowly cleaning out stuff from there. This included some of my childhood toys. Some Lego, Star Wars figurines, a Transformer, and a small amount of Battlestar Galactica stuff.

Thought I might get some money for it, as I knew the Transformer was worth maybe $300, so I packed them up, took them to a collectables shop...and got $2000 for them, paid in cash. Nice surprise!

I was toying with the idea of maybe using the cash to get a decent home brewing setup. My wife is on board with the idea (which makes me suspicious...lol) and has taken it a step further. She wants me to set up an outdoor cottage/bar (something small...3m x 3m maybe) to both house the brewing kit, and give us a cool little talking point, place for drinks, etc.

So...no real point here, just shooting the breeze with you fine folk.
But if anyone is geeky enough to want to know about the toys I sold, ask away.
If anyone knows about either good brewing setups for under $2000, or cool outdoor shed/bar ideas (preferably for $5000-$6000k tops) then let me know that too.

I live in Melbourne, so I'm talking Aussie pesos.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's cool. I'm not good at selling my collectables for a profit. I once sold a used Virtual Boy when it was a hot item for $100. The problem? It cost me $50 to ship it. So while I am good at getting the most money out of things on eBay, that doesn't mean there's always a market for it, either.

Jeremiah Ames

well shoot, I’m a bit disappointed

as I was reading, I was going to offer you cash if you would describe the toys and send them

but I then discover they’re already gone :(

anyway, congratulations on the family

can’t beat 3 girls, imo

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's cool. I'm not good at selling my collectables for a profit. I once sold a used Virtual Boy when it was a hot item for $100. The problem? It cost me $50 to ship it. So while I am good at getting the most money out of things on eBay, that doesn't mean there's always a market for it, either.

Pretty much why I hadn't sold any of this stuff before. Collectors would want to pick a few items out, and leave me with the rest. Plus shipping costs or hassle, etc, with private sale.
Instead, this time, I catalogued everything (eg. Built the lego, and took photos, put each Star Wars figure in a separate bag with his/her accessories) and just took them to a reputable collectible store about a 30 min drive away from my house.

Within 10 mins he'd gone through everything, and he thought it was worth about $3300 retail. So he offered me $2000 for the lot. He'll clean it, set-up some little displays (cool shop he has) and hope he can turn it over quickly, and for more than he expects. But from my side, it's $2000 cash, and I'm not left with a bunch of leftover stuff that was less valuable. Seemed like a win-win.

I also have a box full of old cards (like, Aussie Rules Football trading cards, etc), dating back to the 1930s. But he doesn't do those sort of collectibles. Gave me a name of someone he said is trustworthy, so they might be next thing I try to sell, I think.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
well shoot, I’m a bit disappointed

as I was reading, I was going to offer you cash if you would describe the toys and send them

but I then discover they’re already gone :(

anyway, congratulations on the family

can’t beat 3 girls, imo

Heh. Funny, you're the second person who has said this. One guy I know quite well (through work) and I had no clue he had a very serious Lego collection at home.

This was the biggest of the Lego...
maxresdefault.jpg

The Transformer was this big guy...
OIP.O560IYWKgb3HYrV7GKKYVwHaJ4

And the Battlestar Galactica stuff was like this...
8b311b0431e25dde1864c81643492156.jpg

The star wars was a mix of mini-vehicles and loose figures, all used, but in decent nick.

PureX

Veteran Member
Pretty much why I hadn't sold any of this stuff before. Collectors would want to pick a few items out, and leave me with the rest. Plus shipping costs or hassle, etc, with private sale.
Instead, this time, I catalogued everything (eg. Built the lego, and took photos, put each Star Wars figure in a separate bag with his/her accessories) and just took them to a reputable collectible store about a 30 min drive away from my house.

Within 10 mins he'd gone through everything, and he thought it was worth about $3300 retail. So he offered me $2000 for the lot. He'll clean it, set-up some little displays (cool shop he has) and hope he can turn it over quickly, and for more than he expects. But from my side, it's $2000 cash, and I'm not left with a bunch of leftover stuff that was less valuable. Seemed like a win-win.

I also have a box full of old cards (like, Aussie Rules Football trading cards, etc), dating back to the 1930s. But he doesn't do those sort of collectibles. Gave me a name of someone he said is trustworthy, so they might be next thing I try to sell, I think.
How'd you get him to take the lot?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How'd you get him to take the lot?

I think all the items have at least some level of resale value. He has a large bricks and mortar shop, so he has space to hold and sell items to collectors. He mentioned some would be more slow moving than others.

Whereas selling directly to collectors might allow somewhat increased price, but it's only items they themselves want that they'd be interested in paying for.

Worth noting I'd done some basic research, and some of my old stuff which I knew was truly worthless (eg. Box of old comics) I didn't take in.

One of the items (Battlestar Galactica) he was keen to keep for himself rather than sell.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Ames

Heh. Funny, you're the second person who has said this. One guy I know quite well (through work) and I had no clue he had a very serious Lego collection at home.

This was the biggest of the Lego...
maxresdefault.jpg

The Transformer was this big guy...
OIP.O560IYWKgb3HYrV7GKKYVwHaJ4

And the Battlestar Galactica stuff was like this...
8b311b0431e25dde1864c81643492156.jpg

The star wars was a mix of mini-vehicles and loose figures, all used, but in decent nick.

that stuff seems so cool now

many of us regret getting rid of it long ago, I would guess

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
that stuff seems so cool now

many of us regret getting rid of it long ago, I would guess

Yeah. My wife was kinda worried that I really didn't want to sell them, and she was pushing me into it. But given that it was literally packed away in a cupboard gathering dust, seems way better to get some cash, and put it in the hands of people who will appreciate them and have them on display, etc.