• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I saw Armageddon...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I mean, we visited Megiddo yesterday (and Beit She'an and Tel Rechov)...:p

There were some Christian tourists there as well. Hey, everyone wants a piece of doomsday, right?

Some pictures:

A side-entrance and a former spring that may have been used by the locals:
20220310_093313.jpg

Part of the southern area of the city:
20220310_093546.jpg

A palace that might have housed Biridiya, king of Megiddo in the El Amarna Letters:
20220310_093858.jpg

The main gate. Some think it was built by King Shlomo (Solomon):
20220310_095155.jpg

The northern stables:
20220310_100519.jpg

The cultic area (various temples):
20220310_103537.jpg

A grain storage pit:
20220310_104340.jpg

One of the horses' drinking troughs:
20220310_104635.jpg

The municipal water reservoir:
20220310_110326.jpg

Inside the water reservoir. Still a little bit of water left, though it's likely not drinkable.
20220310_111609.jpg

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Great pics. What did you walk away with, spiritually?
Interesting question. I don't think I felt there anything special. My favorite sites are the ones that give a new perspective on the Tanach. That it excites me. We didn't really hear anything on that front when we were there. We spoke of course about how Megiddo is mentioned in Tanach, but there wasn't anything that added a new layer of understanding or a new perspective. I knew it was a large and central city even before coming there.

Tel Rechov was more interesting from that POV. Maybe I'll make a post on that after Shabbat.

Eyes to See

Thanks for sharing some interesting pictures.

Here is an encyclopedia article on Megiddo:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002960?q=megiddo&p=doc

"One of the more important cities of the Promised Land, located about 90 km (56 mi) N of Jerusalem and 31 km (19 mi) SE of the modern city of Haifa. It was built on a plot of somewhat over 4 ha (10 acres), atop a mound known today as Tell el-Mutesellim (Tel Megiddo), which rises nearly 21 m (70 ft) above the valley below."

Known in the Bible for many conflicts because of its strategic location.

"Situated in this strategic spot overlooking and dominating the fertile western section of the Jezreel Valley (Plain of Esdraelon, also known as “the valley plain of Megiddo”; 2Ch 35:22; Zec 12:11), it easily controlled the major trade and military routes that intersected there. Both Biblical history and secular records tell how the armies of many nations fought decisive battles around Megiddo because of its commanding position."

Are you on a tour to other places around the area.

I pulled one of the volumes of my encyclopedia off the shelf. It has a nice birds-eye view of the area along with a basic map of the area:

IMG_0918.jpg

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Thanks for sharing some interesting pictures.

Here is an encyclopedia article on Megiddo:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002960?q=megiddo&p=doc

"One of the more important cities of the Promised Land, located about 90 km (56 mi) N of Jerusalem and 31 km (19 mi) SE of the modern city of Haifa. It was built on a plot of somewhat over 4 ha (10 acres), atop a mound known today as Tell el-Mutesellim (Tel Megiddo), which rises nearly 21 m (70 ft) above the valley below."

Known in the Bible for many conflicts because of its strategic location.

"Situated in this strategic spot overlooking and dominating the fertile western section of the Jezreel Valley (Plain of Esdraelon, also known as “the valley plain of Megiddo”; 2Ch 35:22; Zec 12:11), it easily controlled the major trade and military routes that intersected there. Both Biblical history and secular records tell how the armies of many nations fought decisive battles around Megiddo because of its commanding position."

I pulled one of the volumes of my encyclopedia off the shelf. It has a nice birds-eye view of the area along with a basic map of the area:

View attachment 60906
I was there in 1991 but spent little time there as we were going north towards the Golan whereas we stayed at Kibbutz Levi. I wish I had more time because the site looks VERY interesting [I'm an anthropologist].

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Not exactly. I'm a BA student studying archeology and Jewish history. The archeology department takes us on field trips to archeologically and/or historically significant sites around Israel.