• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I saw a baby possum today

pearl

One night I forgot to close the back door and the possum got into the back hall where it got into the bird food supply. Before I went to bed I closed the outside door. The next morning I turned the light on in the hall and saw something move. Seeing a possum cornered is a frightening sight. I tried chasing him out with a broom and gave it up when I noticed the razor sharp teeth. I had to go to work so I left the door open and he let himself out at some point. There also one of my dog's favorite toys. They play dead so he can catch him over and over again.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Opossum or possum? Two different animals. One lives in Australia and other countries. Looks like this
upload_2021-6-19_6-49-5.png

The other lives in North America looks like this:
upload_2021-6-19_6-50-17.png

The latter is the opossum.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever seen a baby possum? It was really small, the cutest thing I have ever seen! People say that possums are ugly but I think they are beautiful and I wait for them to show up on my deck every night. The other night two showed up together, which is rare, a smaller one and a larger one, and they were different colors. I should have put two and two together and realized there were babies somewhere. Now I know. :rolleyes:

They can become friendly and curious and start nibbling your toes.
That's when it is time to remind them they are dealing with a wild animal.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
They also eat bird food and dog food. Who would ever kill any animal? Not me.
And bird eggs. They are terrible nest predators that eliminate lots of song birds and grouse, turkeys, etc.
I've killed hundreds of them. Doesn't hurt the population at all, next year there are hundreds more.

Dave Watchman

Has anyone ever seen a baby possum? It was really small, the cutest thing I have ever seen! People say that possums are ugly but I think they are beautiful and I wait for them to show up on my deck every night. The other night two showed up together, which is rare, a smaller one and a larger one, and they were different colors. I should have put two and two together and realized there were babies somewhere. Now I know. :rolleyes:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Mine walked right across the dimly lit living room while I was having my first morning coffee. I thought I was hallucinating.

I eventually caught the little dude in the basement. He pulled one of my socks through the bars of the humane trap.

HEcbFZg.jpg

GILv1wC.jpg

I let him loose at the back tree line so he could make my yard tick and flea free.

bB0UaRZ.jpg

AKxwnaM.jpg

H2Kq9bw.jpg

I'm thankful for my country home
It gives me peace of mind
Somewhere I can walk alone
And leave myself behind…

Peaceful Sabbath.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Pics or it didn't happen.

Mine walked right across the dimly lit living room while I was having my first morning coffee. I thought I was hallucinating.

I eventually caught the little dude in the basement. He pulled one of my socks through the bars of the humane trap.

HEcbFZg.jpg

GILv1wC.jpg

I let him loose at the back tree line so he could make my yard tick and flea free.

bB0UaRZ.jpg

AKxwnaM.jpg

H2Kq9bw.jpg

I'm thankful for my country home
It gives me peace of mind
Somewhere I can walk alone
And leave myself behind…

Peaceful Sabbath.
That's an opossum not a possum.

Dave Watchman

That's an opossum not a possum.

Yep, it looks like you are right.

You are smart.

I am not smart.

I wonder why me and Ellie May Clampett have been saying: "playing possum", and not opossum all these years.

I will rejoice in the redness of my neck, sendin up a prayer to the Man upstairs.

We out of town
Girl you gotta get down with a...
Come on through the country side
Down to the river side

Peaceful Sabbath.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I haven't seen a possum up close, I've only seen them on the road as I rode in the car.

We recently had to replace our welcome mat though on the porch as a coon seems to have been gnawing on it. So we replaced it with something more sturdy.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I haven't seen a possum up close, I've only seen them on the road as I rode in the car.

We recently had to replace our welcome mat though on the porch as a coon seems to have been gnawing on it. So we replaced it with something more sturdy.
Possums don't like you getting close to them, they are afraid if people, but the baby possum did not seem afraid. i have nit seen him since Friday, that must have been a fluke. They go under my front deck through a hole in the planks when they see me. I have not seen the baby possum since Friday and I probably won't see him again, it was probably a fluke. Nevertheless, I keep looking out there to see if one come back again.

The raccoons also go under the front deck so i assume that get along with the possums. I have seen them eating together when I put the dog food out. I do not know how many shies and sandals I have lost that wee outside because the raccoons carry them away. they are probably somewhere in the yard but I never go in the yard anymore because it is a sorry sight to see, and downright frightening, since nobody maintains it anymore. I have had to face the fact that I live in a wildlife refuge and that is just the way it is for now. God wiling something will change eventually.