• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"I said," ye are gods? Christians Only, Please!

Norman

Defender of Truth
I find an interesting story here, John 10:30 I and my‍ Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones‍ again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent‍ into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Evidently the Jews saw before them a mere man who the Jews said “being a man, makest thyself God.” This really angered the Jews and Jesus came back to his defense with Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are‍ gods; and all of you are children‍ of the most High. This as Jesus stated was written in there law and Jesus said that he was the one who gave them this doctrine “I said.”

I often wondered out of all of holy writ why Jesus used this Psalms passage to his defense. Jesus even went as far to say that this passage of interpretation could not be broken. It could not be interpreted any other way. In my opinion no one will ever replace God the eternal Father, however, Jesus defended himself with their own scripture.

I find elsewhere in Exodus 7:1...And the lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. What another interesting statement, God made Moses a God unto pharaoh. Paul called Satan the “god of this world” in 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god‍ of this world‍ hath blinded‍ the minds‍ of them which believe not, lest the light‍ of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image‍ of God, should shine unto them.

Peter used the term “Godliness three times. Paul used the term godliness six times. We have Jesus as the son of God, however the Jews took this a step further by saying Jesus claimed to be God. We have Moses a God and Satan a God. I don’t know what this all entails about being a God? I understand the concept and evidently “God” seems to be a title instead of a name. Is “God” a name? Going all the way back to the beginning, it seems to me that the likeness of humans to God is emphasized in the first chapter of Genesis: “God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. … So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” After Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,” God said they had “become as one of us,” suggesting that a process of approaching godliness was already underway. What do you think?

Notes:

Genesis 1:26–27, Genesis 2:17; 3:22, 2 Peter 1:6, 2 Peter 1:7, 2 Peter 3:11, 1 Timothy 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:10, 1 Timothy 4:7, 1 Timothy 4:8, 1 Timothy 6:5, 1 Timothy 6:6

Source:

Scriptures Search Results

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I find an interesting story here, John 10:30 I and my‍ Father are one. 31 Then the Jews took up stones‍ again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent‍ into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

It helps to understand what the term "god" meant in Greek. It is not a title used exclusively of "the only true God". (John 17:3) The term "god" simply meant "a mighty one"...someone in a position of power or authority. This is why God himself called the judges in ancient Israel "gods" as Jesus said. It is also why the Word is called a "god" in John 1:1.

Evidently the Jews saw before them a mere man who the Jews said “being a man, makest thyself God.” This really angered the Jews and Jesus came back to his defense with Psalms 82:6 I have said, Ye are‍ gods; and all of you are children‍ of the most High. This as Jesus stated was written in there law and Jesus said that he was the one who gave them this doctrine “I said.”

He was quoting the words of his God and Father in Psalms. "I said" is Jehovah speaking.

I often wondered out of all of holy writ why Jesus used this Psalms passage to his defense. Jesus even went as far to say that this passage of interpretation could not be broken. It could not be interpreted any other way. In my opinion no one will ever replace God the eternal Father, however, Jesus defended himself with their own scripture.

Yes he did, but he was simply showing them that he was calling himself "the son of God" a "mighty one".....but never did he claim to be God Almighty...it was the Jews who said that, not Jesus.

I find elsewhere in Exodus 7:1...And the lord said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. What another interesting statement, God made Moses a God unto pharaoh. Paul called Satan the “god of this world” in 2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god‍ of this world‍ hath blinded‍ the minds‍ of them which believe not, lest the light‍ of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image‍ of God, should shine unto them.

Exactly. Those who have power or authority can rightly be called "gods".....Moses was performing miracles like a god to Pharaoh......even the devil is called "the god of this world".

Peter used the term “Godliness three times. Paul used the term godliness six times. We have Jesus as the son of God, however the Jews took this a step further by saying Jesus claimed to be God. We have Moses a God and Satan a God. I don’t know what this all entails about being a God? I understand the concept and evidently “God” seems to be a title instead of a name. Is “God” a name?

Perhaps writing "god" with a small "g" might help. There is only "one true God", as Jesus said. He did not include himself in that designation. (John 17:3) It is a title, never a name.

Going all the way back to the beginning, it seems to me that the likeness of humans to God is emphasized in the first chapter of Genesis: “God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. … So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” After Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,” God said they had “become as one of us,” suggesting that a process of approaching godliness was already underway. What do you think?

Actually God was saying that humans had chosen to be "like God" in ways for which God himself had given them no permission. They were never supposed to know good and evil, but took that knowledge against Jehovah's strict instruction. Now their opportunity to live forever was taken away. Death would follow. (Gen 3:17-19) the way to the tree of life was now barred. (Gen 3:22-24)

Being made in God's image and likeness simply meant that we were set apart from animals having been endowed with the qualities of our Maker. We alone have a moral sense, a spiritual nature and a capacity to put knowledge to use in ways that animals never could. We alone are given free will to act and to make decisions and to worship our Creator. This gift was abused and that is what got us into trouble in the first place.

Having lost their moral and spiritual perfection, loss of life would follow as their bodies now degenerated into ageing and death.....something that was not supposed to happen....something for which we are not designed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is also written....
If you cannot be trusted with the least of things....how then anything greater?

So here you are learning how things work.

If you do well.....greater things you will do.
Immortality unto those who do not know how to live?.....I think not.
Creation for those of unbridled heart?...I think not.
Grace unto those who do not know forgiveness?.....I think not.

Ye are gods!....unto all?
I think not.

Kolibri

I had not realized this before, but the theos in John 10:33 is not ho-theos but just theos. Again it would not be "the God" but "a god".

I was going to argue that the religious leaders were putting words in Jesus mouth, but they were not really claiming that he said he was "the God", but only that he was making himself out to be more than a man should be in their eyes.

So the verses in the psalms were appropriate to the charge because it was a case where even in their own scriptures men were called gods, so they really had not basis for rejecting his claim to have some power that was not typical of men..all because of his relationship with "the God" being his father.

We have Moses a God and Satan a God

These 2 cases are generally intended as figures of speech. If I said "You are a god to him" doesn't have to mean you are a literal "god". It means "You are like a god". Moses only believed in one God. The case of Satan being a god is used elsewhere in the Bible too. Don't get confused with the big "G" and the little "g". When a god is mentioned in the Bible with a little "g", it refers to a false god. Satan pretends to be like God but he is only a demon. He is "like" a god of this world.

Norman...I just noticed that you are a Mormon. Yes, Mormons believe in hundreds of gods....you even believe that Satan was a brother of Jesus. So, I now understand where you are coming from and the point you are trying to make. You believe that people can become gods. I would actually like to discuss with you further about Mormonism.....especially the first vision of Joseph Smith...but I'm still on Muhammad's first vision. But, I promise you, I'll get on to JS's vision as it is one of my pet subjects.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Norman...I just noticed that you are a Mormon. Yes, Mormons believe in hundreds of gods....you even believe that Satan was a brother of Jesus. So, I now understand where you are coming from and the point you are trying to make. You believe that people can become gods. I would actually like to discuss with you further about Mormonism.....especially the first vision of Joseph Smith...but I'm still on Muhammad's first vision. But, I promise you, I'll get on to JS's vision as it is one of my pet subjects.
Oh yippee! Another self-appointed authority on Mormonism jumps right in to tell us Mormons what we believe. Yeah, Norman's a Mormon and so am I. We'll both be here waiting when you get finished bashing Islam and move on to bashing Mormonism. Here's a quote to get you started:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Do you know who said that? C.S. Lewis, one of the most highly-renowned Protestant scholars to have ever lived. Since you're a Protestant, I thought you might find that interesting.

Last edited:

Norman

Defender of Truth

Norman: Hi Hong Xiuquan, I see that you are a new member, welcome. Let me just share a few things with you, first of all, the OP never mentions The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. No, you do not know why I mentioned this story from the New Testament. You would be wise to learn the forum rules. If you have any questions for a particular religion you must go to a DIR, in this case you would go to LDS DIR and ask as many questions as you want to about with respect If you come to me in a high minded attitude and a self proclaimed pedogue of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints then don't bother. Lastly, out of the hundreds of people to talk to on this forum, I don't have a problem with putting someone on ignore and you are already half way there. Understand? Good, see you later.

Norman

Defender of Truth
I had not realized this before, but the theos in John 10:33 is not ho-theos but just theos. Again it would not be "the God" but "a god".

I was going to argue that the religious leaders were putting words in Jesus mouth, but they were not really claiming that he said he was "the God", but only that he was making himself out to be more than a man should be in their eyes.

So the verses in the psalms were appropriate to the charge because it was a case where even in their own scriptures men were called gods, so they really had not basis for rejecting his claim to have some power that was not typical of men..all because of his relationship with "the God" being his father.

Norman: Hi Kolibri, thanks for responding to my thread. I appreciate your in-put, I have been intrigued by this story for along time. I really do not understand it completely that is why I thought it would be a good topic for conversation. Talk to you again, soon.

Norman

Defender of Truth
These 2 cases are generally intended as figures of speech. If I said "You are a god to him" doesn't have to mean you are a literal "god". It means "You are like a god". Moses only believed in one God. The case of Satan being a god is used elsewhere in the Bible too. Don't get confused with the big "G" and the little "g". When a god is mentioned in the Bible with a little "g", it refers to a false god. Satan pretends to be like God but he is only a demon. He is "like" a god of this world.

Norman: Hi Hong Xiuquan, Thank you for your explanation, on my thread. I don't believe that it is a figure of speech, I think there is something deeper here in all of this. Let see if we can get it to some consensus together. Yes, there were false Gods and there still are false Gods. As I stated in my original post that I do not understand it completely, so I think this will be a good conversation. By the way, what kind of Protestant are you?

Norman

Defender of Truth
It is also written....
If you cannot be trusted with the least of things....how then anything greater?

So here you are learning how things work.

If you do well.....greater things you will do.
Immortality unto those who do not know how to live?.....I think not.
Creation for those of unbridled heart?...I think not.
Grace unto those who do not know forgiveness?.....I think not.

Ye are gods!....unto all?
I think not.

Norman: Hi Thief, ok, you think not, what does that mean? What is a "rogue theologian."?

Norman

Defender of Truth
It helps to understand what the term "god" meant in Greek. It is not a title used exclusively of "the only true God". (John 17:3) The term "god" simply meant "a mighty one"...someone in a position of power or authority. This is why God himself called the judges in ancient Israel "gods" as Jesus said. It is also why the Word is called a "god" in John 1:1.

He was quoting the words of his God and Father in Psalms. "I said" is Jehovah speaking.

Yes he did, but he was simply showing them that he was calling himself "the son of God" a "mighty one".....but never did he claim to be God Almighty...it was the Jews who said that, not Jesus.

Exactly. Those who have power or authority can rightly be called "gods".....Moses was performing miracles like a god to Pharaoh......even the devil is called "the god of this world".

Perhaps writing "god" with a small "g" might help. There is only "one true God", as Jesus said. He did not include himself in that designation. (John 17:3) It is a title, never a name.

Actually God was saying that humans had chosen to be "like God" in ways for which God himself had given them no permission. They were never supposed to know good and evil, but took that knowledge against Jehovah's strict instruction. Now their opportunity to live forever was taken away. Death would follow. (Gen 3:17-19) the way to the tree of life was now barred. (Gen 3:22-24)

Being made in God's image and likeness simply meant that we were set apart from animals having been endowed with the qualities of our Maker. We alone have a moral sense, a spiritual nature and a capacity to put knowledge to use in ways that animals never could. We alone are given free will to act and to make decisions and to worship our Creator. This gift was abused and that is what got us into trouble in the first place.

Having lost their moral and spiritual perfection, loss of life would follow as their bodies now degenerated into ageing and death.....something that was not supposed to happen....something for which we are not designed.

Norman: Hi JayJayDee, I appreciate your in-put and knowledge into this thread. I am with you all the way up to the garden with Adam and Eve. Tell me what you think about this, I believe that Adam and Eve put a plan into action for all the human race. If it were not for Adam and Eve and there children none of us would exist, I look at this situation in a manner that it had to happen, I look at it as a transgression instead of a sin. What do you think?

ether-ore

Peter used the term “Godliness three times. Paul used the term godliness six times. We have Jesus as the son of God, however the Jews took this a step further by saying Jesus claimed to be God. We have Moses a God and Satan a God. I don’t know what this all entails about being a God? I understand the concept and evidently “God” seems to be a title instead of a name. Is “God” a name? Going all the way back to the beginning, it seems to me that the likeness of humans to God is emphasized in the first chapter of Genesis: “God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. … So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” After Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,” God said they had “become as one of us,” suggesting that a process of approaching godliness was already underway. What do you think?

Notes:

Genesis 1:26–27, Genesis 2:17; 3:22, 2 Peter 1:6, 2 Peter 1:7, 2 Peter 3:11, 1 Timothy 2:2, 1 Timothy 2:10, 1 Timothy 4:7, 1 Timothy 4:8, 1 Timothy 6:5, 1 Timothy 6:6

Source:

Scriptures Search Results

You are correct in coming to the conclusion that the word "God" is a title and not a name. Its usage is contextual however. In its simplest terms, god is that which is worshiped, which is why it can be applied to Satan. There are those that are tempted by and therefore follow (worship) Satan. It can also mean that personage who dispenses truth and consequences, which is what Moses did relative to Pharaoh (Aaron being Moses' mouthpiece). In the truest sense, God is that being who created the heavens and the earth and all that pertains to it; that is Jesus Christ. Ultimately, it refers to God the Father who is that being that commissioned Jesus Christ to do what He has done for us. The other verses you referred to demonstrate its application to all of us as God's children as it can be said that we, being God's children, are gods in embryo. This should give some indication of what God desires for us if we but obey Him.

Kolibri

You are correct in coming to the conclusion that the word "God" is a title and not a name. Its usage is contextual however. In its simplest terms, god is that which is worshiped, which is why it can be applied to Satan. There are those that are tempted by and therefore follow (worship) Satan. It can also mean that personage who dispenses truth and consequences, which is what Moses did relative to Pharaoh (Aaron being Moses' mouthpiece). In the truest sense, God is that being who created the heavens and the earth and all that pertains to it; that is Jesus Christ. Ultimately, it refers to God the Father who is that being that commissioned Jesus Christ to do what He has done for us. The other verses you referred to demonstrate its application to all of us as God's children as it can be said that we, being God's children, are gods in embryo. This should give some indication of what God desires for us if we but obey Him.

Oh yes, we are to have power. But that is so we can finally live in a reality whereby Genesis 1:28 is a reality.

"Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: 'Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth."
- Genesis 1:7

Is this a reality yet? Not according to the book of Isaiah.

The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb,
And with the young goat the leopard will lie down,
And the calf and the lion (or "the maned young lion.") and the fattened animal with all be together;
(or possibly, "And the calf and the lion will feed together.")
And a little boy will lead them.
The cow and the bear will feed together,
And their young will lie down together.
The lion will eat straw just like the bull.
The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra,
And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.
They will not cause any harm
Or any ruin in all my holy mountain,
Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehvoah
As the waters cover the sea.
- Isaiah 11:6-9

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Norman: Hi JayJayDee, I appreciate your in-put and knowledge into this thread. I am with you all the way up to the garden with Adam and Eve. Tell me what you think about this, I believe that Adam and Eve put a plan into action for all the human race. If it were not for Adam and Eve and there children none of us would exist, I look at this situation in a manner that it had to happen, I look at it as a transgression instead of a sin. What do you think?

I understand that some have a bit of a different view about the role of Adam and Eve but what do you think would have happened if they had just obeyed the command of their God? What would have happened if they had not eaten the forbidden fruit?

The mandate to "be fruitful and become many and fill the earth" was given before they sinned. So was it necessary for them to sin in order to have children? That makes no sense to me. Paul's words..."That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned." (Rom 5:12) indicate that sin came into the world through the actions of the man. What if he had rejected his wife's offer to eat of the fruit?

Was it God's plan for them to sin? That would mean that God intended death and suffering to be part of our lives all along.....How could that ever be?

Oh yippee! Another self-appointed authority on Mormonism jumps right in to tell us Mormons what we believe. Yeah, Norman's a Mormon and so am I. We'll both be here waiting when you get finished bashing Islam and move on to bashing Mormonism. Here's a quote to get you started:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Do you know who said that? C.S. Lewis, one of the most highly-renowned Protestant scholars to have ever lived. Since you're a Protestant, I thought you might find that interesting.

Come on.....relax. Who said I was "bashing" Islam and Mormonism? I have a lot of Muslims in my family. I'm not bashing anyone. If you keep saying I'm a Mormon basher every time I make a comment, then our discussion is not going to go anywhere. This is a debating forum and I'm just doing what Mormons do when they visit a person's house. Why can I not do the same?

Christians don't desire to become gods. That is a Mormon desire. Satan was removed from Heaven for desiring to be a god, which was impossible anyway. Judaism and Christianity are monotheist. Mormonism is not compatible with these religions because it is a polytheist religion. Do Mormons accept the Hindu gods as real gods? In regards to the C S Lewis quote.....you have found a good one to support your ideas. Can you provide the source? I'd have to read the whole chapter to work out what he is on about. Reading just that, makes it sound like he was a Mormon.

Norman: Hi Hong Xiuquan, Thank you for your explanation, on my thread. I don't believe that it is a figure of speech, I think there is something deeper here in all of this. Let see if we can get it to some consensus together. Yes, there were false Gods and there still are false Gods. As I stated in my original post that I do not understand it completely, so I think this will be a good conversation. By the way, what kind of Protestant are you?

Norman....please tell your friend not to be so sensitive. I have firm views but I'm not here to bash anyone. But you could call me a Bible basher....that's fine. I'm just a protestant......of no particular denomination. Maybe JS would have liked to have heard that comment. I attend a local church close to my house. I'm living in Indonesia and I teach English. What do you do for a living? I feel comfortable in most protestant churches. I don't believe that protestant churches have gone astray as JS mentioned in his "History". I believe that first visions are extremely important to study.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Come on.....relax. Who said I was "bashing" Islam and Mormonism? I have a lot of Muslims in my family. I'm not bashing anyone. If you keep saying I'm a Mormon basher every time I make a comment, then our discussion is not going to go anywhere. This is a debating forum and I'm just doing what Mormons do when they visit a person's house. Why can I not do the same?
Yes, this is a debate forum and posters are intended to debate the topic introduced in the OP. That's not what you're done so far at all. Instead of addressing the question posed by Norman when he started the thread, you immediately launch into a tirade about Mormonism doctrine, including topics entirely unrelated to the OP. How about pretending you don't know that Norman and I are LDS. See if you can just stick to what we are saying instead of resorting to ad hominems.

Christians don't desire to become gods.
You're absolutely right. The vast majority of them don't even realize their potential.

That is a Mormon desire.
Actually, I have no burning desire to become a god or goddess, but as a Latter-day Saint I do know what the earliest Christians also knew, and that is that as sons and daughters of God, we can (as C.S. Lewis so eloquently stated) become as He is -- not on our own but by the grace and help of God.

Satan was removed from Heaven for desiring to be a god, which was impossible anyway. Judaism and Christianity are monotheist. Mormonism is not compatible with these religions because it is a polytheist religion. Do Mormons accept the Hindu gods as real gods?
See? You're continuing your same disingenuous tactics here. The topic of this thread is not why Satan was cast out of Heaven and it's not whether Mormonism is monotheistic or polytheistic. We can certainly talk about those topics in another thread.

In regards to the C S Lewis quote.....you have found a good one to support your ideas. Can you provide the source? I'd have to read the whole chapter to work out what he is on about. Reading just that, makes it sound like he was a Mormon.
C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (1952; Harper Collins: 2001) 205-206. By all means read the entire chapter. You'll find it enlightening. C.S. Lewis was definitely not a Mormon, but he did understand Christian theology a whole lot better than you do.

Norman

Defender of Truth
Norman....please tell your friend not to be so sensitive. I have firm views but I'm not here to bash anyone. But you could call me a Bible basher....that's fine. I'm just a protestant......of no particular denomination. Maybe JS would have liked to have heard that comment. I attend a local church close to my house. I'm living in Indonesia and I teach English. What do you do for a living? I feel comfortable in most protestant churches. I don't believe that protestant churches have gone astray as JS mentioned in his "History". I believe that first visions are extremely important to study.

Norman: Hi Hong Xiuquan, my friend Katzpur is not being overly sensitive, she has been on this forum for ten years and knows all about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, she lives the doctrine, understands the doctrine and is a lot more patient than I am with others. If you are not going to talk about my original post then please stop posting in my thread. If not, I will report you to a mod, or put you on ignore. You have a lot to learn as a new member to this forum. What do you want to do? The ball in in your court.

Norman

Defender of Truth

Norman: Hi ether-ore, this is very informative, good context, well said, thank you.