• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I really wish I believed

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You worry about the truth in religions?
How can they all be true?
when they are so different.
We may not have got every thing right in our practices and beliefs.
But God seems not to care, nor corrects us.
Perhaps we worry about the wrong things?
we should worry about how we live.

God will take care of our afterlife in the way he choses.
Have faith in God's mercy.

maro

muslimah
Terrywoodenpic said:
But God seems not to care, nor corrects us.
Perhaps we worry about the wrong things?
we should worry about how we live.

God will take care of our afterlife in the way he choses.
Have faith in God's mercy.

4:26-28

"Allah desires to make clear to you and to guide you to the ordinances of those before you, and ( he doth wish to) turn to you (in mercy) and Allah is knowing, wise (26)
and Allah desires that he should turn to you ( mercifully) , and those who follow (their) lusts desire that you should deviate ( with) a great deviation (27)
Allah desires that he should make light your burdens, and man is created weak (28) "

I think god cares to correct and guide us
but we are the ones who don't care

and I don't think he will care for our afterlife, unless we care for it first

May Allah guide u all, to his true path

Lintu said:
I don't think I believe in God anymore, but I really wish I could. I particularly wish I could believe in an afterlife. I find death extremely scary now that I don't :(

Any particular reason why you don't believe in a God?

may

Lintu said:
I don't think I believe in God anymore, but I really wish I could. I particularly wish I could believe in an afterlife. I find death extremely scary now that I don't :(
John 17;3
This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. ...... do what i did and take in knowledge about the true God Jehovah psalm 83;18 and his son Jesus christ
For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him. John 3;16-17

Beachcomber

I'm right there with you JW. I want to believe in God, but within the last few years I've had a lot of bad stuff going on in my life...and I have prayed and prayed to God to just tell me what to do...and I don't hear anything back. I'm saved, and although I'm not a regular churchgoer, I'm also not a bad person, and I'm just beginning to think that the whole God thing is a crock of ****. If he is all powerful, and he hears me, why doesn't he answer me? Send me a sign...let me know in some small way that He has heard me? I wouldn't even mind if he told me that I have to solve it for myself! SOMETHING to let me know that He heard me! Too go along with that, it is very depressing to think that there is no God that I can pray too, and if so, there is no afterlife.

Beachcomber

I'm right there with you, JW. I want so much to believe in God, but lately, I have prayed and prayed for guidance about the bad things going on in my life and I just don't get an answer. It has made me think that he is not there and that the whole idea of God is a crock. So, if I think that, then there is also no afterlife, which is very depressing also.

1nharmony

A Coco-Nut
Lintu said:
But the thought of reincarnating after this life is scary in itself given how the world is going.

I'm with you there! Not too interested in coming back to be with this batch of religious nuts again! :help:

Beachcomber

When I say I'm "saved", I mean that in the past, I have gone through the "ritual" of asking Jesus Christ to come into my life and forgive my sins. I have prayed that prayer in earnest. People call that being "saved". But I don't feel saved. I don't feel connected. I feel lost. And I have tried very hard to connect with God, and I don't feel a connection. that's why I'm here on this site at this hour. It is very disturbing to me that I feel so disconnected.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Beachcomber said:
When I say I'm "saved", I mean that in the past, I have gone through the "ritual" of asking Jesus Christ to come into my life and forgive my sins. I have prayed that prayer in earnest. People call that being "saved". But I don't feel saved. I don't feel connected. I feel lost. And I have tried very hard to connect with God, and I don't feel a connection. that's why I'm here on this site at this hour. It is very disturbing to me that I feel so disconnected.
I see what you're saying. Thanks for explaining, because you really did have me confused there. I really do sympathize with your situation. That would be very, very difficult. Hopefully, the time you spend here will help you find a new direction, one that feels right. )( Hang in there. Sometimes it just takes time.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
1nharmony said:
I'm with you there! Not too interested in coming back to be with this batch of religious nuts again! :help:
And which batch of religious nuts were you referring to specifically?

Beachcomber

Thanks for your reply. I'm curious....do you pray, and if you do, do you feel that you commune with God? Am I just completely out in left field? Is He there and I don't hear him?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Beachcomber said:

Maybe it sounds odd, but perhaps you need to be lost for a while, so you can eventually find your way back.

Religion can be so full of man-made stuff passing itself as coming from God, you know?

Maybe you have to leave some unneeded stuff behind to clear your vision, so you can see where you need to go.

As long as you're still looking, you're not really lost. When you stop looking, then maybe.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Beachcomber said:
Thanks for your reply. I'm curious....do you pray, and if you do, do you feel that you commune with God? Am I just completely out in left field? Is He there and I don't hear him?
I know you asked Katz, but I hope you don't mind if I reply as well.

Yes, I pray. But honestly, it's one of the things about religion that I struggle with. I pray daily, out of plain obedience. Someday, maybe I'll even understand why. There are other times when I've done things out of obedience, and later understood the "why." Maybe this will come in time too.

But I do study and reflect also. And when I'm in a troubled place, I ask myself, "OK, this must mean I have something to learn -- what is the lesson, and how do I learn it?" And I look very carefully at what's going on around me, and who is in my life at the time.

That's where I really get my answers. God "speaks" in myriad ways, and not just through prayer. Sometimes I get information from someone else, a friend, a total stranger, someone online, and through them, I can see another possibility. Sometimes I'm studying and something clicks with what I've just read.

I still do the prayers anyway, and it does seem that when I do, I'm able to see the possibilities better.

The crazy thing is when, after I've been looking and looking and finally find an answer to something, I look back and see that the answer was there all the time -- there was just something getting in my way and I couldn't see it.

Beachcomber

Thanks Booko. I think I relate to a lot of what you are saying. Even though I have been doubting, I still find myself praying. It somehow makes me feel better....the idea that someone is listening to my thoughts and prayers. And I also have had ephiphany moments that seem to come after a string of seemingly unrelated incidents that occurred.

joeboonda

The BIble says that these things were written that we may KNOW that we HAVE eternal life NOW. If I wanted a car and someone said you have a good chance of getting it, I would not know for sure. But once I had it in writing, from the owner that it was indeed mine, then I could rest easy. Well, we have not just man's word, we have God's word, and it says that Whoever trusts Christ's death on the cross to have paid fullly for all our sins, HAS eternal life and will not ever come back into condemnation. God said it, I believe it, and that settles it, Praise God. Feelings and emotions are the Devils area to play with us, accept the written promises of God, and quit worrying about your salvation. Salvation is a totally free, undeserved, unmerited gift we simply accept and rejoice in. Salvation is of God, not man, you cannot do anything to earn it or keep it, it is a free gift we simply, thankfully accept, and my friends, you have God's Word on that.