• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I ran into a new term: Henotheism.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But not all Gods have statues or idols. So the idea of 'other Gods' can't be equated with idols. They're not the same.
Yes they are. The idol, itself, is the god, and not merely a depiction of some other god.

Alex22

Yet I see your little Bible complains about them before anthropology was around. Your Hebrew tribe deity seems to dislike it. To bad

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes they are. The idol, itself, is the god, and not merely a depiction of some other god.
This is wrong. I don't know anyone who literally worships a statue. This just seems like a dig at non-Abrahmics to me.

And as I've said, I guess Jesus is an idol since there are statues of him everywhere. People have painted the Abrahamic God, too, so I guess he is also an idol.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
This is wrong. I don't know anyone who literally worships a statue. This just seems like a dig at non-Abrahmics to me.

And as I've said, I guess Jesus is an idol since there are statues of him everywhere. People have painted the Abrahamic God, too, so I guess he is also an idol.
Nope. I’ve nothing against non Abrahamic religions. Statues and paintings aren’t idols — unless they’re believed to have deific power in and of themselves. There’s a difference between an icon and an idol.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nope. I’ve nothing against non Abrahamic religions. Statues and paintings aren’t idols — unless they’re believed to have deific power in and of themselves. There’s a difference between an icon and an idol.
Many Christians do treat them that way. You know how a crucifix is used in horror movies. People often try to use them that way in real life. And countless Christians make an idol of the Bible itself. Not all, but a higher percentage than Christians should be comfortable with.

Doesn't that make every person on the planet...including Christians...polytheists????

No, because even if people keep something as their god, it is not necessary the one and only true God. By what the Bible tells, many gods can exist, but they are not the real God.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No, because even if people keep something as their god, it is not necessary the one and only true God. By what the Bible tells, many gods can exist, but they are not the real God.

Wait...so you see pagans as atheists?