• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I ran into a new term: Henotheism.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Give me the name of another god who is invisible and is said to have created the whole world.

Aasha Monetoo.
Makroposopos/Mikroprosopos

Heck, look at Zoroastrianism and you can go one further. They believe Ahura Mazda was uncreated.

This concept of a God exists only in the Bible.

You mean an invisible creator God, or is there some other property you are talking about?

...He gave an example of Moses showing that the Hebrew god was more powerful than the Egyptian one. There was no claim that the Egyptian god or gods did not exist. Just that they were less powerful. There are other examples in the Old Testament. Any thoughts?

I think that is a correct idea. It is not about does other gods exist, but about what one keeps as his God. For example, some have kept a golden calf as their god. I have no doubt such thing can exist, but the key thing is that I wouldn’t keep it as my God. And, I think everyone has something as their God, for some it may be fear that rules them and for some it may be love, but:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think that is a correct idea. It is not about does other gods exist, but about what one keeps as his God. For example, some have kept a golden calf as their god. I have no doubt such thing can exist, but the key thing is that I wouldn’t keep it as my God. And, I think everyone has something as their God, for some it may be fear that rules them and for some it may be love, but:
There are many people that do not have any "god". Religion is faith based and one can function just fine without faith.

There are many people that do not have any "god". Religion is faith based and one can function just fine without faith.

How dare you disagree with Bob Dylan? :D I think you are wrong. Even you have something as God. It can be seen from what you serve with your actions or words. Person who loves, speaks truth and does good to others, serves Bible God, because He has commanded people to love.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How dare you disagree with Bob Dylan? :D I think you are wrong. Even you have something as God. It can be seen from what you serve with your actions or words. Person who loves, speaks truth and does good to others, serves Bible God, because He has commanded people to love.
Religions don't necessarily include a God, and worshipping a God doesn't necessarily mean one has a religion.

Neuropteron

I think we agree. The Bible is just a claim.

Absolutely,
that's why God invites us to test his claims.

Mic 3:10 "Jehovah of armies has said...test me out, please...[and see] whether I shall not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon you a blessing until there is no more want."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Absolutely,
that's why God invites us to test his claims.

Mic 3:10 "Jehovah of armies has said...test me out, please...[and see] whether I shall not open to you the floodgates of the heavens and actually empty out upon you a blessing until there is no more want."
And yet most followers of Abrahamic religions have no clue on how to properly test their beliefs.

Fallen Prophet

I was watching a video of the Atheist Experience and in this short clip Matt brings up the concept of Henotheism:

His claim was not that the early Hebrew were monotheistic. They did believe in other gods. But they were not what many people would classify as polytheists, which is usually a belief in multiple gods all with their own specialty. Henotheism is acknowledging that there are other gods but your own god is the best, for . . . um reasons.

He gave an example of Moses showing that the Hebrew god was more powerful than the Egyptian one. There was no claim that the Egyptian god or gods did not exist. Just that they were less powerful. There are other examples in the Old Testament. Any thoughts?
I know that many Jews interpret it this way as well. That their God is "first among many" - and there are even some New Testament verses that could be interpreted to support this idea.

Atheistic Buddhism.

Jainism.

Confucianism can be atheistic.

Taoism can be atheistic.

Various Dharmic/Hindu schools of thought are atheistic.

Thanks, now I would like to know what makes those religions and not just philosophies?

Also, even if it is claimed those are religions without God, everyone still has something as their god that they serve with their actions. Perhaps they don’t see and understand it, but what they serve ultimately with their words and actions, is their god.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, even if it is claimed those are religions without God, everyone still has something as their god that they serve with their actions. Perhaps they don’t see and understand it, but what they serve ultimately with their words and actions, is their god.

Under that definition, God is a murky and amorphous concept you could apply to a lot of things in every person's life. Love your kids? Well, they're your God. Like material wealth? Money is your God. Value honesty above all else? God.

Doesn't that make every person on the planet...including Christians...polytheists????

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
They have, but idols are lifeless, they do not exist. The worship of idols is forbidden.
You’re mistaken. An idol has deific power in and of itself. That deific power is worshiped. Otherwise, it’s just a statue.