• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I never know what to make

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How I make those is sometimes, not always, I'll either butter or oil the side of the bread that gets fried (then it's just toasted without the fats) add in two or three slices of cheese, and cook it over a medium flame going to low (you'll eventually just learn and pick up on this, even if it's an electric). Most call for higher temp, and while mine takes longer to cook you'll get a better crisp out of it and even slices of real cheese will be melty and stretchy.
And when you make pasta, no matter what anyone says do NOT oil the water. Oily noodles ensures the sauce will not coat the noodles well, and when pastas are made right the sauce coasts the noodles well and it's a much better quality of dish (the pasta sauce also should not be watery or leave a puddle on your plate).
ALWAYS sift your flour unless you're making specifically Toll House chocolate chip cookies (to my best knowledge every other recipe but that one requires sifted flour).
Premeasure your ingredients and having them waiting off to the side.
And another for proper temperatures. This is for preheating, doneness, and as well what things should be when you start to cook them.
And bear in mind a cooking tempurateur that is too high will burn the outside of the food while leaving an undercooked middle. Sometimes you'll need a very hot cooking temp, but for most of your cooking the only time you'll use high is for boiling water.
A lot of Chinese cooking uses very high heat too. But that food is all cut to bite size. The meat is often verry thinly sliced. A nice thick steak on too hot of a pan will be raw on the inside, but small vegies and meat that is often precooked and one wants just a char on benefits from a very hot wok.

And yes, water and salt only in pasta water. And as you get advanced and make more complex meals you often use some of that nice starchy pasta water. I thought that it was weird the first few times I read about that, but it can work wonders. for example the original Fettuccine Alfredo did not have any cream in it. Only butter, pasta, some of the starchy pasta water, and Parmesan cheese (actually Parmigiano Reggiano).

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Hmm. That all sounds good. Admittedly I never really thought about making sandwiches for a home meal. And grilled cheese, do you just throw a slice of cheese between two breads and put it in a skillet?

You can do that, but I prefer two slices of cheese per sandwich. One slice just doesn't cut it, it's not filling enough without two slices. Don't forget to butter the sides of the bread that are being cooked directly, or the cooking will be uneven.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A nice thick steak on too hot of a pan will be raw on the inside
Actually, a great way to cook a tasty good thick steak is to sear it on a very hot iron skillet, let cook a few minutes each side and then finish cooking for a few minutes in a very hot oven (keep it in the skillet).
You won't get this one more done than medium around the edges without ruining it. But it explodes with flavor and is super tender and juicy.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually, a great way to cook a tasty good thick steak is to sear it on a very hot iron skillet, let cook a few minutes each side and then finish cooking for a few minutes in a very hot oven (keep it in the skillet).
You won't get this one more done than medium around the edges without ruining it. But it explodes with flavor and is super tender and juicy.
Have you ever tried cooking using the sous vide method? You season the steak. put it in a safe for cooking plastic bad and cook it in water at the desired end temperature, usually about one to two hours. At the end of that time take it out of the bag. Pat it dry with paper towels, and then sear it in a spanking hot pan. It will be extremely tender on the inside and done to perfection. It also works on larger cuts. I have made incredible Prime Rib using this method. It takes about eight hours for a big six pound chunk of meat I then put it in a 450 degree oven for ten to fifteen minutes to put a sear on the outside.

No resting time is needed.