• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need to be a nonbeliever to set myself free. Could someone help me?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't believe jesus is coming back. It has been more than 2,000 years. The dead doesn't exactly come back to life but it is your choice to believe in that.
I won't force people to stop believe in what they want to believe but I am trying to bring some reality in this conversation.
Check out my thread 2070 Christ Glorius return. I believe Jesus is right on schedule. Not slow at keeping his promise, but patient hoping all might come to repentence, therefore with the Lord a day is like 1000 years and 1000 years like a day. 2070-2570 actually

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't this a kind of wonky version of Pascal's Wager?
Christianity might be true so to be safe you feel compelled to just go with it?
That's not so much of a debating position as it is a guilt and scare tactic.
What if it is true but Jesus ends up liking people who don't follow scripture blindly?
What if Hell is actually a cool place and God just decided to drum up a really bad marketing campaign to compete with it?

Should one really live and believe based on what ifs?
What if I wake up tomorrow and I'm a giant bug?
What if I wake up tomorrow and I escape from the matrix?
:shrug:

Christianity and Secularism aren't the only options ever. There's a whole wide world out there.

If you can be persuaded to not believe in God just as easily as you can be persuaded to believe in a God, then your conviction is shakier than an earthquake.

Yup...this is how I see it too. A Christian God might be today's philosophical boogie man, solipsism tomorrows. The real problem is jumping at every shadow. Some sort of overarching philosophical armour is required.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup...this is how I see it too. A Christian God might be today's philosophical boogie man, solipsism tomorrows. The real problem is jumping at every shadow. Some sort of overarching philosophical armour is required.

Indeed. One should find their own way and their own beliefs, rather than just allow everyone else from both sides to dictate that to them.

Also Overarching Philosophical Armour sounds cool. Like a chain mail but made up of like all the religious symbols and portraits of philosophers through the years lol

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
And Jesus wants the opposite.

Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.
And sin was made up to control you and your mind.
I had sex before marriage the night when my husband and I got together in person. April 28th, 2014 was when we got together in person and we are still happy together. Nothing bad happened when we did it.
Just enjoy life and do what you want.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Check out my thread 2070 Christ Glorius return. I believe Jesus is right on schedule. Not slow at keeping his promise, but patient hoping all might come to repentence, therefore with the Lord a day is like 1000 years and 1000 years like a day. 2070-2570 actually
Not everyone will repent and I sure won't do it.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
And sin was made up to control you and your mind.
I had sex before marriage the night when my husband and I got together in person. April 28th, 2014 was when we got together in person and we are still happy together. Nothing bad happened when we did it.
Just enjoy life and do what you want.
That's it? The woman Jesus turned down had like 6 husbands, then was shacked up with someone, and wouldn't even give Jesus a drink of water.when he asked for one. She don't go to heaven, as I read it.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
That's it? The woman Jesus turned down had like 6 husbands, then was shacked up with someone, and wouldn't even give Jesus a drink of water.when he asked for one. She don't go to heaven, as I read it.
Yep, That's it. I don't let christianity take control of my life.

The Transcended Omniverse

Indeed. One should find their own way and their own beliefs, rather than just allow everyone else from both sides to dictate that to them.

Also Overarching Philosophical Armour sounds cool. Like a chain mail but made up of like all the religious symbols and portraits of philosophers through the years lol

My own way would have to come about through reading everything that everyone says with a rational mindset. That is the only way I can decide whether the condemning religions such as Christianity are true or not. If I just decide on my own by my own gut feeling, then that would be an irrational emotional conclusion I have come to. I must instead come to a rational conclusion and that can only come through reading everything I can.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

*laughs*

Yeah, I liked the sound of it, although it comes across as more defensive than I'd prefer.

But basically I see someone's existing world view as a filter. It should develop and change, but it should also provide protection from being overly suggestible, or having change forced upon one.

I really like the idea of trying to develop and maintain an overall life philosophy/worldview. I find it very useful in many situations and assists me in keeping perspective.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
My own way would have to come about through reading everything that everyone says with a rational mindset. That is the only way I can decide whether the condemning religions such as Christianity are true or not. If I just decide on my own by my own gut feeling, then that would be an irrational emotional conclusion I have come to. I must instead come to a rational conclusion and that can only come through reading everything I can.
Well then do so. But humans are not robots. We cannot be 100% rational, even scholars are colored by their own emotions and biases and will argue accordingly. Remember that.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
*laughs*

Yeah, I liked the sound of it, although it comes across as more defensive than I'd prefer.

But basically I see someone's existing world view as a filter. It should develop and change, but it should also provide protection from being overly suggestible, or having change forced upon one.

I really like the idea of trying to develop and maintain an overall life philosophy/worldview. I find it very useful in many situations and assists me in keeping perspective.

Hehe. Sounds more like a weird Silver Age forgotten superhero. Philosophy man!!! lol

I agree. Everyone needs some foundation. Everyone changes frequently throughout life. We can explore and grow and develop different beliefs and outlooks. But we need something to ground us, something to tie everything together whilst keeping true to our own beliefs.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Therefore, the best bet is for me to either become a full materialist where I don't believe in any God at all, or to somehow believe in this personal God I have created.

That way, I would have escaped the horrible possibility of Christianity and other religions that condemn you and your personal way of life.

As a Gnostic Christian, I'd have something to say about this take, but why quibble when we have more important matters to attend to...

But I don't know how to get there. I am completely stuck in this undecided mindset and I am not sure any argument presented will convince me since there will always be other people with their arguments.

But I am at least willing to try. So I will engage in a debate here as a means to try and convince me. Hopefully it works out in my favor and hopefully I will finally be completely free from all that religious dogma out there that condemns you and makes you obey certain rules.

If the goal is to become a non-believer (as if that were possible), then become a skeptic instead. Take nothing at face value. Suspend judgment of what is being conveyed to you. This means your judgment must be suspended, not other people's judgment that you have heard at one point. Your own judgment, halted or nor allowed to define how you understand it. Intellectually, not so easy to do this (at least for me). So meditation helps (or what the original skeptics in human history did), whereby you train your mind to be still and less distracted by the myriad of ideas that keep passing through, begging for attention.

Practice, practice, practice.

As much as this is the path to skepticism, it's also the path to Gnosticism. Best wishes in your journey.

Reggie Miller

Matthew 11:28-30New International Version (NIV)

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

The Transcended Omniverse

Well then do so. But humans are not robots. We cannot be 100% rational, even scholars are colored by their own emotions and biases and will argue accordingly. Remember that.

I.have.read.all.the.debates.I.could,.but.I.still.remain.undecided...I.thought.that.there.might.be.some.way.to.get.me.out.of.this.undecided.mindset.and.to.actually.become.fully.convinced.of.scientific.materialism.or.some.other.view.of.God/afterlife.that.does.not.involve.condeming.religious.dogma.