• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need answers, Noach edition

rosends

The first pasuk of Noach has always intrigued me: (I'm lifting from sefaria and the JPS translation which I don't much like)

אֵ֚לֶּה תּוֹלְדֹ֣ת נֹ֔חַ נֹ֗חַ אִ֥ישׁ צַדִּ֛יק תָּמִ֥ים הָיָ֖ה בְּדֹֽרֹתָ֑יו אֶת־הָֽאֱלֹהִ֖ים הִֽתְהַלֶּךְ־נֹֽחַ׃

This is the line of Noah.—Noah was a righteous man; he was blameless in his age; Noah walked with God.—

one famous set of commentaries on the first verse has to do with Noach's status as "tzaddik" -- whether he was a righteous man EVEN in his generation or ONLY in his generation.

But the way i see the verse, it isn't even a question because the verse says something different.

If you look at the trop, the phrases are "ish tzaddik" (a righteous man) and then "tamim haya b'dorotav" (he was tamim in his generation). The difficult word to me is "tamim" -- see here for possible meanings.

It seems to me that the commentaries should be opining on whether he was Tamim only or even in his generation, but the "ish tzaddik" stands apart as an objective and known quality. Why does the gemara (as cited by rashi, Sanhedrin 108a) connect the "in his generation" with the tzaddik aspect, not the tamim aspect?

The most straightforward answer (and therefore, one I don't like) is that the quality of tamim is an explanation of what it is to be a tzaddik. I just don't see that to be so. The fact that the gemara in Zevachim can argue
that it might refer to a physical blemish indicates that the word is not inextricably tied to being a tzaddik! The word is often used to discuss the lack of a physical blemish on an animal destined for sacrifice. The moment we try to understand tamim, we realize that to be called tamim has nothing to do with being an ish tzaddik, so the question of relative judgement about generations is connected to a judgment of tamim, not tzaddik.

And yet Rashi and the gemara make it all about tzaddik and ignore the tamim aspect, even as commentaries wrestle with what tamim is talking about.

Any ideas?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe Rashi read a hyphen into the space between tzaddik and tamim?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Any ideas?
OK. 'Any ideas' includes a lot. :D

If you look at the trop, the phrases are "ish tzaddik" (a righteous man) and then "tamim haya b'dorotav" (he was tamim in his generation).
I thought etnachtah ended a phrase? Could the other phrasing be purely melody included in the larger phrase?

Why does the gemara (as cited by rashi, Sanhedrin 108a) connect the "in his generation" with the tzaddik aspect, not the tamim aspect?

How is it known that the gemara is speaking about being a tzaddik vs being tamim. If I'm looking at the correct passage ( 18a.17 ), it's not specified. Omitting both tzaddik and tamim is , in a way, treating them as a unit.

The most straightforward answer (and therefore, one I don't like) is that the quality of tamim is an explanation of what it is to be a tzaddik. The fact that the gemara in Zevachim can argue that it might refer to a physical blemish indicates that the word is not inextricably tied to being a tzaddik!
Would you please direct me to that section of Zevachim? I'm wondering if tamim as an animal is defined differently as tamim for an 'ish'?
to be called tamim has nothing to do with being an ish tzaddik, so the question of relative judgement about generations is connected to a judgment of tamim, not tzaddik.

And yet Rashi and the gemara make it all about tzaddik and ignore the tamim aspect, even as commentaries wrestle with what tamim is talking about.
It's an interesting idea. I've enjoyed reading your thoughts on it. Thanks,

rosends

OK. 'Any ideas' includes a lot. :D

I thought etnachtah ended a phrase? Could the other phrasing be purely melody included in the larger phrase?
I learned it as ending the phrasal unit with the mercha-tipcha. I wouldn't end a mapach-pashta with an etnachta.

How is it known that the gemara is speaking about being a tzaddik vs being tamim. If I'm looking at the correct passage ( 18a.17 ), it's not specified. Omitting both tzaddik and tamim is , in a way, treating them as a unit.
This is a great observation because the text does not specify. But rashi on that spot in Sanhedrin reads "אילו הוה בדורות אחרים היה צדיק יותר" which seems to focus on teh singular quality of tzaddik.

Would you please direct me to that section of Zevachim? I'm wondering if tamim as an animal is defined differently as tamim for an 'ish'?
try this

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
that's one for sure -- I have a mercha-tipcha-etnachta (which I understand as a phrasal unit) for tamim haya b'dorotav.
By the way, I checked and MG Keter (i.e. Keter Aram Tzova/Aleppo Codex) has the same te'amim. That doesn't mean Rashi had that, though. But Onkelos also seems to have read in the same manner as the Te'amim, taking by his commentary.

rosends

So I found the following link which might serve to answer the question. I'd try to translate if I didn't have to get up early tomorrow. I'll try to get to that then. Here's the link, meanwhile:

תמים היה בדורותיו - חברותא
I took a quick look and saw that he sort of broaches my question but I got lost in his answer explaining the different aspects/type of t'mimut. Any translation you can make would be appreciated.

rosends

By the way, I checked and MG Keter (i.e. Keter Aram Tzova/Aleppo Codex) has the same te'amim. That doesn't mean Rashi had that, though. But Onkelos also seems to have read in the same manner as the Te'amim, taking by his commentary.
Right -- גְּבַר זַכַּאי שְׁלִים הֲוָה בְּדָרוֹהִי seems to have "a worthy man" and then a new phrase.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
But rashi on that spot in Sanhedrin reads "אילו הוה בדורות אחרים היה צדיק יותר" which seems to focus on teh singular quality of tzaddik.
If the focus is on the quality of a tzaddik, and the qualifier is tamim ( complete ), I keep thinking back to Tanya where the tzaddik is split into different types primrily complete and incomplete. If this idea existed in the Talmudic eras, could the gamara be attempting to catagorize Noah into one of these two major divisions, complete tzaddik and incomplete tzaddik? Though they use the word gamur for complete, not tamim. ( it's in Chapter 10, it's on Chabad's website if interested ).

Last edited:

rosends

If the focus is on the quality of a tzaddik, and the qualifier is tamim ( complete ), I keep thinking back to Tanya where the tzaddik is split into different types primrily complete and incomplete. If this idea existed in the Talmudic eras, could the gamara be attempting to catagorize Noah into one of these two major divisions, complete tzaddik and incomplete tzaddik? Though they use the word gamur for complete, not tamim. ( it's in Chapter 10, it's on Chabad's website if interested ).
So let's consider that "tzaddik tamim" is an equivalent to "tzaddik gamur". The two problems that arise are that this would not be consistent with the trop or the language of "ish" (one is not an ish tzaddik gamur, just a tzaddik gamur) and the other is that if someone is truly a tzaddik gamur, I don't see how that could at all be relative to the generation. The statement "he is a tzaddik gamur but only in his own generation" undercuts the "gamur" part of it.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
So let's consider that "tzaddik tamim" is an equivalent to "tzaddik gamur". The two problems that arise are that this would not be consistent with the trop or the language of "ish" (one is not an ish tzaddik gamur, just a tzaddik gamur) and the other is that if someone is truly a tzaddik gamur, I don't see how that could at all be relative to the generation. The statement "he is a tzaddik gamur but only in his own generation" undercuts the "gamur" part of it.
Yes, I totally agree on the last part. Which is why, perhaps, they are discussing what it means to be a perfect tzaddik "in his generation". The concept makes no sense without explanation.

Regarding the trop and "ish tzaddik gamur", I have to defer to what you're saying. I have no idea why "ish tzaddik gamur" is invalid, and my experience decoding trop is minimal.