• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I need a good interpretation

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
though i do love the bible. theres still some stuff i need to work out in it.

This is a faith problem of sorts, and i need help.

on one hand i think that God would not mind somone being a transvestite, it doesnt seem logical for a God to want transvestism to be stopped (unless this God figured that it would somehow lead to homosexuality which i doubt :confused: )

on the other i try to believe everything in the bible in a symbolic way. but this time i think im becoming more liberal in thinking it was inspired by god but written in part by man.

I cant really be sure and i needed some comment to pick what i find in accordance to my beliefs:

the scripture is:

"That which pertains to a man (Hebrew keli: weapons, utensils, clothes) shall not be upon a woman; and a man shall not put on a woman's garment, for an abomination to Yahweh your God is everyone doing this" (Deut. 22:5).

although im feeling that i believe it reffers to ancient paganistic practises which were concidered wrong

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Classification of cross-dressing as abhorrent to the Lord [7:25-26; 12:31] suggests that the prohibition has in view pagan cultic practices (associated with the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar)" (HarperCollins Study Bible note, p 302).[/FONT]

Ody

Look into your heart, do YOU think g-d has a problem with being a transvestite?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
~Lord Roghen~ said:
although im feeling that i believe it reffers to ancient paganistic practises which were concidered wrong

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Classification of cross-dressing as abhorrent to the Lord [7:25-26; 12:31] suggests that the prohibition has in view pagan cultic practices (associated with the Mesopotamian goddess Ishtar)" (HarperCollins Study Bible note, p 302).[/FONT]

Dressing in the other gender's clothing is a factor in many shamanistic cultures. In some societies, women were viewed as intrisically more 'in touch with the earth.' Because of this, some of their male workers in medicine would wear women's clothing, in order to try to draw this power down upon themselves. In addition, several goddess- centered traditions tended to be more tolerant and welcoming to people who might otherwise break with tradition. Telling people that doing so was forbidden might have been a practical way to break those people of their ties with their former religion.

But, as Alan said, your interpretation of things really depends on how you read it. (Or want to read it.)

Karl R

~Lord Roghen~ said:
i think that God would not mind somone being a transvestite, it doesnt seem logical for a God to want transvestism to be stopped

"That which pertains to a man (Hebrew keli: weapons, utensils, clothes) shall not be upon a woman; and a man shall not put on a woman's garment, for an abomination to Yahweh your God is everyone doing this" (Deut. 22:5).
In my opinion, if the most "sinful" thing you ever do is cross-dressing, you're leading a far more virtuous life than I could ever aspire to.

Love god. Love others as you love yourself. I can see how a lot of old testament laws could be derived from these commandments, but I don't find a way to derive a rule that prohibits cross-dressing.

Running off on a tangent, that verse always reminds me of the first time I saw a picture of Jesus and his apostles: "Daddy, why are they wearing dresses?" It's all a matter of perspective.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
~Lord Roghen~ said:

The old testament is full of stuff like this. The chapter goes on to say that if a woman was not a virgin when she married, she should be placed on the doorstep and stoned to death.

Jesus talks to the Jews about how they spend too much time focusing on man's law, and ignoring God's Law, I believe this falls into that catagory. The ten commandments does not include anything about dress codes. And besides, what is considered woman's clothing? Didn't men of the desert wear dresses? And for a time, only men wore jewelry. I don't think clothing has anything to do with your relationship with God. I am a woman, and my friends have to constantly tell me to dress like a girl. I know God wants me to be comfortable and happy. And I don't think it matters if that is in pants, in a dress, or buck naked for that matter.