• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I must be doing it wrong or missing something

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That's kind of :p and not really serious. Well yeah, it's serious to a point. OK, so what in Hel is he going on about? you ask.

I'm simply amazed at how "easy" it is to follow Ásatrú. What I mean is:
  • You light a candle for your deity(ies), or you don't (I do).
  • You have a vé (shrine), or you don't (I do).
  • You remember where you came from (or try to), i.e. venerate, respect, honor your ancestors.
  • Try to live by the Nine Noble Virtues. Admittedly they are reconned, but they are a good code.
  • Pop a cold one (or room temp as I prefer), raise it in a toast, then bottoms up.
  • Talk to the Gods, thanking them for their help and blessings. But no groveling.
  • Understand who and what the Gods are... older, wiser, more powerful versions of us, but like us nonetheless: e.g. Freyr sat in the All-Father's seat, saw Gerda, pined for her, used his sword as a bribe to Skirnir (what kid never got into his or her parents' things out of curiosity and then got punished?); Freyja used her sexuality to get a piece of jewelry; Odin broke faith a couple of times; Thor is a very protective and devoted family man. Yep, they are just like us and have lessons to teach.
  • No demanding by them, no threats, no punishments.
  • We (they and us) are all in this together; we're born, live the best we can, and we die.
So what am I missing? Nothing except the fetters, indoctrinations, superstitions, must-do's and must-not-do's of other paths I've trodden?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You got it down pretty pat. You shouldn't worry about it so much. People often say "it's the thought that counts", and I feel this is especially true in regards to our interactions with our higher Kin. Thor isn't gonna frown or get disappointed because you lit the wrong kind of candle or forgot to say 'thank you' every now'n then or what have you. You live a good life first and foremost. Grandpappy Odin doesn't want you to fret & get worked up just to please him. He just isn't that way. He doesn't want you to bend over backwards just to accommodate him. You do as best you can. Odin comes not as the Wanderer to take food & drink from you & yours. He comes to those who can spare a horn of mead & cut of beef.

You once described your interactions with the Thunderer as like a jock-ish bigger brother, the sort who might give you a noogie or a wedgie, but if anyone else tries they gotta deal with him . That perfectly encapsulates him. He's not gonna care you make a little mistake here and there. He does too.

They're our family first & foremost, and like family they do not love us in spite of our flaws but because of them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I like the way you expanded on it. That completely augments to the nth degree how I feel and is my exact point. :) My amazement is how I can let go of the internal conflicts. There's a lot to be said for having rough-and-tumble deities who like to party. Btw is anyone going to Aegir and Ran's next week? :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That really sums up the relief that converting to a pagan religion can bring. No more fast for a month, don't eat beef, don't eat pork, shave your beard, don't shave your beard, let people smite you on both cheeks, smite the unbelievers...

Yes, relief is a good word. I tend to rebel at rules and regulations. Not to say I'm anti-authority... I'd have no problem following orders as a member of the armed services or LEO agency; that's different. My former Eastern Orthodox priest used to say about fasting "God doesn't need the fast, man does". My question is "why does man need it at all?" :confused: Personal discipline, make me a better person? I can do all that without listening to my tummy rumble. :D

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
That really sums up the relief that converting to a pagan religion can bring. No more fast for a month, don't eat beef, don't eat pork, shave your beard, don't shave your beard, let people smite you on both cheeks, smite the unbelievers...
Let someone take a sharp stone to your happy place..

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
I really like your views, Thorbjorn.

I practice little to nothing and simply praise them by my mug or Steiner.

I wouldn't sweat the sacraments or rituals, not at this point.

As much as we're re-learning paganism they may be watching as well.

Thanks for the pardon.

Toxikmynd

Demir
I really like how Nietzsche says how they accept our best, and that really shows when they don't care that our ancestors converted to Christianity, because they knew that we were still kin! They knew that we were the Asatruars still. Somewhere deep within!