• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I missed Holi!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am not Hindu, but I respect the religion a lot. I wanted to attend a Holi celebration (Can I if I am not Hindu?), but forgot when it was. What did everyone do for it? I can celebrate vicariously through your experiences.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I held a small Holi celebration at my grad school, but nothing too extravagant.

And of course one can attend Holi as a non-Hindu. Happens in India all the time (from what I've been told). :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Thirza Fallen, every one is welcome. Here is how we celebrated it (Google images posted between March 20th to March 28th, Holi was on 24th March). Brace yourself. It requires some courage. :D

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=holi+2016&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1LENP_enIN576IN576&espv=2&biw=1455&bih=705&source=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:20/03/2016,cd_max:&tbm=isch#newwindow=1&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:20/03/2016&tbm=isch&q="holi+celebrations+2016"

Holi%2BCelebrations%2B%2B10.JPG
holi-india.jpg

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I have said it before. I wanna party with Hindus!!!

allfoak

Alchemist
Does the date change every year?
I noticed that March 24th was the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox.
This is when i celebrated Passover this year.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Welcome to the party. Marijuana drink, Bhang and then dance and songs are an integral part of Holi. Many songs have double meaning.

(Mischievous old man dangles the big water gun in his dhoti*)
* Dhoti: Dress for the lower portion of the body. Pichkari: Water gun.
Oh my.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I attended the formal Puja during the week and then the Holi colors flew on the following Sunday. =) I played along with everyone and got my fair share of colors in my mouth. Also ruined the interior of my car. No worries though. The darn thing is near death anyhow. ;) Also this year it was my seva to make the poster for the community. Here it is below:

10672375_10153206865935518_7868298794478980414_n.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
;) Also this year it was my seva to make the poster for the community.
Very restrained. Nice. Holi posters here: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=M...Q_AUICCgD#newwindow=1&tbm=isch&q=Holi+posters.

The revelries of Holi always end with the line "Bura na mano, Holi hai" (Don't take it seriously, it is Holi today). It is one day of the year when the guard is down. Also, the day before Holi is the Hindu "All Fool's day". They appoint a king for that day. The day also features programs for humorous poems.

On Holi, even the lower-castes could throw abuses at the higher castes (last image: Chhang party). The day after Holi was called the "Rāmā-Shyāmā" day, when we visited relatives and acquaintances to greet them and ask for excuse if we annoyed them in any way during the year. Now, in the busy city life, who has the time? Old traditions are being forgotten.

An Agra university officials and teachers in their "Fool's dress", The King of fools (Murkhadhiraja), at the humorous poetry meet, chhang party.
murkh-1457073878.jpg
Murkhadhiraj-Award.jpg
Kavi-Sammelan-in-Bahadurgarh-Haryana.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does the date change every year? I noticed that March 24th was the first full moon after the Vernal Equinox.
Yes, the date changes. We have an intercalary month in our lunar religious calender (so it can be very different). In 2017, Holi will be celebrated on March 13th. in 2015, it was March 6th. Muslims calandar does not have the intercalary month, so the dates change all over the year.

Last edited: