• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I made my decision

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I told the forum I would consider voting for Trump in this next election. Despite my deciding on my own to give Christianity another chance, which should kind of lean me more toward voting Republican I think, it really does for me... I can't in good faith vote for Trump upon further review. He does some good things, but I'm not sure it's for all the right reasons.

I just hope that if a Democrat gets in, they will be pretty effective.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why do you think giving Christianity another chance would make you lean towards voting for a republican and why do you think you make such distinctions?

Party affiliation - Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

I said "more toward", not towards. Imagine a political scale where I went from fairly far-left to a mildly left-leaning Centrist.

That being said, your question is still valid. Whereas in the past I might have identified more with far-left leaders due to them having similar ideas to me, and voted as such... I now realize it isn't my place to let favoritism determine facts. Christianity just has a way of working on your spirit that's really hard to describe. And I actually believe that "good NT Christianity" downplays a lot of extremes.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I told the forum I would consider voting for Trump in this next election. Despite my deciding on my own to give Christianity another chance, which should kind of lean me more toward voting Republican I think, it really does for me... I can't in good faith vote for Trump upon further review. He does some good things, but I'm not sure it's for all the right reasons.

Sooo...which Christian Democrat are you leaning towards?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sooo...which Christian Democrat are you leaning towards?

You got me there as to answer that question, I would be implying that a person must be a Christian to be Christlike, when I don't think that's the case. The only thing I can assert so far is that as a Christian, I'm pretty skeptical Trump IS.

Shad

Veteran Member

Better to wait for the general when people start flip/flopping to pander to moderates.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So what I was saying was, I see many more Christlike values in many atheists, not all, than in Trump. Now I can't really say "I hope a Republican gets in" because that's not common sense, Trump will get the Republican side, so I just have to say "I maybe hope a Democrat will win."

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm still more Democraft than Republican. I'm not sure anyone good on the Democrat side will pick up traction, so I might just have to cast my vote for what I perceive the lesser of evils to be.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Eh I'm probably not making much sense. Basically:

Effective Democrat or Republican > the Biden I might have to vote for > someone off the street > what I consider us to have

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It is worth considering how important one regards intentions versus consequences to be. In most respects, intentions are irrelevant. Actions and consequences are. However, when it comes to political leadership, the equation changes somewhat to my mind. How leaders of a nation conduct themselves reflect upon that nation and its people. It shapes the character of a country, and also sets a standard for what is and is not acceptable behavior. It is why I hold presidential offices to a very high standard of character whether or not the consequences of their policies are agreeable to me. Whether or not you do the same is up to you.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It is worth considering how important one regards intentions versus consequences to be. In most respects, intentions are irrelevant. Actions and consequences are. However, when it comes to political leadership, the equation changes somewhat to my mind. How leaders of a nation conduct themselves reflect upon that nation and its people. It shapes the character of a country, and also sets a standard for what is and is not acceptable behavior. It is why I hold presidential offices to a very high standard of character whether or not the consequences of their policies are agreeable to me. Whether or not you do the same is up to you.

I mean, for all I know, I could be a worse person in a lot of ways than Trump. But the difference is, I don't run the country.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
You got me there as to answer that question, I would be implying that a person must be a Christian to be Christlike, when I don't think that's the case. The only thing I can assert so far is that as a Christian, I'm pretty skeptical Trump IS.
Remember when Satan tempted Jesus with political power ("all the Kingdoms in the World" were the words used) when Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days after being baptized? Why do you think Jesus told Satan to begone, and quit tempting him?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What does voting for Trump have to do with Christianity? Christians who vote for Trump are not voting for Trump because of their Christian values, they vote for Trump despite what the teachings of Christ are.

Jesus was on the side of the poor and exploited. Christian politicians should remember that | Brad Chilcott

Let's see if I can explain it...

1. I was far-left
2. I became Christian giving Christianity another chance. Despite what some Christians think on political extremes and how it's good, it did soften my political stance, becoming Christian, as I don't consider extremes and the words of Christ to be too compatible.
3. I now had to reweigh my thoughts. Who doesn't?
4. Trump still lost in my mind even weighing it through the eyes of a Christian, as he doesn't demonstrate Christ-like values.

The Reverend Bob

I don't consider extremes and the words of Christ to be too compatible.
Christ was pretty radical though. So radical, he created a whole new milieu and totally new social environment in which people can breathe. Read the Epistle of James.

What our leaders aren’t telling you: Jesus was a radical social activist

o-JESUS-570.jpg

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you think that if Jesus were President of this Great Christian Nation we'd be Walling out poor people, making the rich even wealthier, or starting conflicts around the globe?

I don't.
I just don't.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What does voting for Trump have to do with Christianity? Christians who vote for Trump are not voting for Trump because of their Christian values, they vote for Trump despite what the teachings of Christ are.

Jesus was on the side of the poor and exploited. Christian politicians should remember that | Brad Chilcott

Seriously? You think Jesus made a distinction? What did Jesus say about "the poor" when he was lavishing in the expensive oil (applied, BTW, by a young lovely).

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you think that if Jesus were President of this Great Christian Nation we'd be Walling out poor people, making the rich even wealthier, or starting conflicts around the globe?

I don't.
I just don't.
Tom

Damn skippy he would...

The Reverend Bob

Seriously? You think Jesus made a distinction? What did Jesus say about "the poor" when he was lavishing in the expensive oil (applied, BTW, by a young lovely).
What did Jesus say about the poor and oppressed when he was giving that sermon in valley? Luke 6