• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Like Turtles

We Never Know

No Slack
I cannot prove I like turtles.

Does my like for turtles not exist?

Even this little guy...

IMG_20211022_194142.jpg

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

Some people might say that your behavior toward turtles might prove whether or not you like turtles. To me, that would not be good enough. If I were to observe you smiling at some turtles and speaking about how cute they are, that would not be proof that you genuinely like turtles. At best, it is merely evidence. What if your words and actions are deceptive and that you actually detest turtles? Even though you may indeed like turtles, your liking for turtles is within your mind, and mind is subjective rather than objective because other people cannot observe it the way they can observe the sky or an electron. At the end of the day, all I can do is believe that you like turtles if I am inclined to take your word for it. You may like turtles and you may know that you like turtles, and nobody's denial of it will change it for you.

amorphous_constellation

Surely, you can do things that prove you like turtles. Can you do things that prove you hate them? If you can't do that, why not just do anything to turtles, and claim it doesn't mean you dislike them?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Your like for turtles exists and the fundamental proof is turtles, which is grounded in more turtles. Ontologically, it's turtles all the way down...
I'll have you know that the divine seer, Terry Pratchett, revealed the truth that it's not turtles all the way down but instead the world rests on 4 elephants who in turn stand on Great A'Tuin, the Turtle among turtles. Repent and be saved or be tossed over the edge of the world - it's a free choice of your free will.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I like turtles too. I know that is odd, since one bested me in a race. But I hold no grudges and consider him a good friends that showed me the error of my ways.

I cannot prove that I like turtles either.

I could just be trying to curry favor seeing you as the Alpha Staff. Perhaps I am just jumping on your bandwagon for popularity. Maybe I do hold a grudge and this is some complicated revenge scheme for losing that race.

I do have some evidence for my love of turtles.

In 40 years of driving I have done my level best to avoid hitting turtles crossing the road. To my knowledge, I only hit one and it was a glancing blow that did not lasting damage. I checked.

Where it is safe, I have moved turtles to the other side of the road with any chickens that may be there if they too crossed.

I have a capture, examine and release unharmed policy for turtles.

I am always glad to find them when I am out hiking.

I took a herpetology class in order to learn more about them.

So, no proof, but some evidence that I love turtles.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Are you free to change your mind about your fondness of turtles, or is it something innately programmed into your psyche?

RestlessSoul

I like turtles too. I know that is odd, since one bested me in a race. But I hold no grudges and consider him a good friends that showed me the error of my ways.

I cannot prove that I like turtles either.

I could just be trying to curry favor seeing you as the Alpha Staff. Perhaps I am just jumping on your bandwagon for popularity. Maybe I do hold a grudge and this is some complicated revenge scheme for losing that race.

I do have some evidence for my love of turtles.

In 40 years of driving I have done my level best to avoid hitting turtles crossing the road. To my knowledge, I only hit one and it was a glancing blow that did not lasting damage. I checked.

Where it is safe, I have moved turtles to the other side of the road with any chickens that may be there if they too crossed.

I have a capture, examine and release unharmed policy for turtles.

I am always glad to find them when I am out hiking.

I took a herpetology class in order to learn more about them.

So, no proof, but some evidence that I love turtles.

Thought it was a tortoise that beat you in the race that time?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you free to change your mind about your fondness of turtles, or is it something innately programmed into your psyche?

Good question. I would guess the latter.

I could lie to myself and say I don't like turtles anymore, and lie to others and say I don't like turtles anymore, but I think fondness for something is inherent, just as preference for one gender over another.