• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Like Religion Because - I Dislike Religion Because. . . . . . . .

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Religion to me is the fast food of thinking -- it's just an agreement on certain things provided for convenience for people whom really can't think on them. So, is that preferable to total lunatic anarchy... Yes, I'd say so... All they have to do is buy into a specific product and then most of the thinking will be done for them. Provided the religion allows for change this is completely harmless... However, most religions are militantly traditional... And, that is garbage thinking at its finest... If one is doing the thinking for others one must provide superior thoughts as a matter of duty -- and new thoughts must be developed. :p

I dislike religion because it often prevents people from understanding ideas outside of their reality tunnel, and really holds us back. You cannot find a more outdated religion thought-wise than Islam, but you can't find a more pointless religion than Christianity. (It's basically less meaningful then as sports team at this point... Adherent's of Christianity only have to believe rather than do anything.... Islam for example, is a lifestyle...) Judaism is like Christianity unless it's orthodox in these ways, and then it's more of a lifestyle without the rejection of science -- pretty much the middle road while still hanging onto the traditional pieces.

Anyway, personally I reject all transcendental religions. They either limit ones thinking, lifestyle, or expression -- to me they are worthless and self-defeating. I rather walk, talk, and do whatever I like.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Talking about religion in general, not any religion in particular.

So, what are your deepest, most heartfelt feelings about religion?............................................................................................Just kidding, only looking for your thoughts, sober or otherwise.

I dislike (organized) religion, because it often stops the search for truth, as adherents are told they can be certain in their faith.

A Vestigial Mote

I dislike religion for the simple fact that it is an organized avenue for people to feel that they have things "figured out" beyond other individuals. Things like:

"The Way" to live life - as if there is such a thing!
"The meaning of life" - this phrase should be banned from use in intelligent discourse
Where life comes from - we can keep looking for the "answer" here, but making stuff up is far from fruitful
What happens when we die - conjecture, conjecture, conjecture...

This "I know better than you mentality" is obviously not the "goal" of religion - but that won't ever stop it from being a part. Proselytization is, plain and simple, an insult to a man's intelligence masked as some form of "caring". As if I am not adult enough to come to my own conclusions. Instead I need your conclusions? Please...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Not to be contentious, but you are only seeing what the other person thinks, not how that person thinks. Granted that's a good thing. And, no, I cannot see you think as you cannot see me think. You can, however, see the end results of my thinking.
I believe....communication as we do now will be left behind.

you will be able to see what I think.....even as I do so......
and all that was ever done in secret shall be made known.

we leave this world naked.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
For those reasons, it is worth rescuing from the grip of unchecked superstition that many people seem to believe to have ruined it forever.

I do dislike that religion is often perceived as justification for superstition, as well as for rather unwise, destructive actions and beliefs.

Religion is (basically by definition) a powerful motivator, and it should ever be used with the utmost responsibility.
rescuing others from their superstitions?

Savior are you?
Judge of spiritual strength and propriety?

granted....some of the religious are a bit off center....
some are even murderous.....

but you are no one's savior by any term or perspective.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
rescuing others from their superstitions?

Savior are you?

It is always necessary for everyone to question their own beliefs and uncover the reasoning behind them. Helping people to do this is certainly commendable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(...)

Yes, I am.

So is - or should be - everyone else.

Consider the alternative.

If you say so.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I dislike religion because people think you need it to find meaning in life, or guidance on how to live it.

I can see that. It's odd, though. Many believers find meaning in life in their family, in their work, how they live their life, and their association with others. Some find purpose/motivation/a will to get out of bed, I guess you can say, because they want to help the world or something.

Doesn't need to be religious, though.

Demonslayer

I can see that. It's odd, though. Many believers find meaning in life in their family, in their work, how they live their life, and their association with others. Some find purpose/motivation/a will to get out of bed, I guess you can say, because they want to help the world or something.

Doesn't need to be religious, though.

Right, exactly, one's motivation/purpose/reason to get out of bed need not be religious. People who are convinced from a young age that meaning and purpose can only be found through religion often can't escape that framework. What this does is 1) prevents them from seeking non-religious meaning/purpose and 2) gives them the idea that folks without religion have no meaning or purpose in their lives. It's why the very religious have a poor view of the non-religious.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Right, exactly, one's motivation/purpose/reason to get out of bed need not be religious. People who are convinced from a young age that meaning and purpose can only be found through religion often can't escape that framework. What this does is 1) prevents them from seeking non-religious meaning/purpose and 2) gives them the idea that folks without religion have no meaning or purpose in their lives. It's why the very religious have a poor view of the non-religious.

There's nothing wrong with the former. The latter is very very sad. I dont know if some realize it, though.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I believe....communication as we do now will be left behind.

you will be able to see what I think.....even as I do so......
and all that was ever done in secret shall be made known.

we leave this world naked.

I may have to gouge out my middle eye.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have considered.....and said so....

and no....I see no quality in you that you can save anyone.

Who said anything about "saving" anyone? I don't even know what you mean by that word.

Instead, I just think that the choice between blind, superstitious belief informed by a vague fear of death (which I don't really have in the first place) and a rational approach to existential questions is actually rather simple and quick.