• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Like Religion Because - I Dislike Religion Because. . . . . . . .

Skwim

Veteran Member

Talking about religion in general, not any religion in particular.

So, what are your deepest, most heartfelt feelings about religion?............................................................................................Just kidding, only looking for your thoughts, sober or otherwise.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion is good for teaching how people think.
I dislike some religions for their use of persuasion to compel others in the name of love to believe their way. I think persuasion is OK, but I do not believe it is for love.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
religion is suppose to be a discipline....how to get into the next life in one piece.

it's NOT about blowing your fellowman to pieces

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I like religion because it has several different functions, most of which are beyond easy summary as things that I either like or dislike.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Religion is good for teaching how people think.
I dislike some religions for their use of persuasion to compel others in the name of love to believe their way. I think persuasion is OK, but I do not believe it is for love.

Religion is geared to teach people what to think, not how. And that is why I have no faith in religion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Here's what Webster says:

Simple Definition of religion

Popularity: Top 1% of lookups
  • : the belief in a god or in a group of gods

• : an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods

• : an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Full Definition of religion
  1. 1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2. 2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3. 3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4. 4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

In a lot of these threads it is not clear to me how the word 'religion' is being used; formal religions or just any belief in God or gods. The word has gotten too vague.

But anyway......I like religion because it teaches us the path to eternal peace

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Talking about religion in general, not any one in particular.

So, what's your deepest, most heartfelt feelings about religion?............................................................................................Just kidding, only looking for your thoughts, sober or otherwise.

I love religion because those who follow it as best they can find out meaning in their lives and how to live it. I like religion for its devotional lifestyle.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

Talking about religion in general, not any religion in particular.

So, what are your deepest, most heartfelt feelings about religion?............................................................................................Just kidding, only looking for your thoughts, sober or otherwise.

Peace be on you.
True and live religion is user-manual by Maker how to live life with respect to God, self and other creation.
True and live religion, takes raw human capacities to moral state and then to with-God state.
The abuse of true religion does not mean it is wrong. Abuse of any thing is destructive.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
I like religion because religious texts uses a style of writing that is very personalized to the reader/believer. The ethics do change and people quote different verses from the same texts to give their example. God always agrees with you and God's always right! Right? You can be influenced by your parents, but ultimately you choose your religion. At least, with the advent of the Internet you choose with you are exposed to. Thus most religions, new or old, cannot be classified as a cult. Religion has involved from a way of living, to a way of (hoping and) believing [faith]. I am ultimately grateful for that.

I dislike religion because there's still a few like Scientology that do nothing but want your money. They tell you how to live. I believe happiness is its own reward, and if you are not happy in these particular religions you will be excommunicated from everybody you know, which you know just isn't right.

~A lot of religions will tell you to act or think in certain ways - do this or don't do that - as a means to live - but I do understand where most of them are coming from. Pray (towards Mecca). Fast. Don't backbite. There's good reasons for this. It comes down if they are robbing you of your livelihood. Many religions have feasts, devotionals, churches, prayer circles, etc that bring a sense of community and livelihood to each person.~

I cannot even talk about why I dislike religions to going back to why I do! Well, I've never encountered a religion whose sole focus was to tell people about the obscure theology of Pan-Apotheosis, my own. The fact that maybe a dozen people in the world believe in it is very sad to me sometimes. Pan-Apotheosis is kind of my livelihood, and I have no one to share it with. Religion lacks diversity. :(

Timothy Bryce

I dislike religion because it has always existed as an instrument to control vulnerable people. I also dislike religion because it seems to mislead people in a time where we should be progressing our collective understanding of philosophy. It has proven to stunt human intellectual and philosophical progression throughout history and, I believe, it's served as the undercurrent that fueled most of the greatest tragedies in human history. I have particular disdain for the Catholic Church for being the most rich, powerful, hypocritical, corrupt and criminal industry of all the human narratives.

I like religion because it sheds light on certain cultures and is crucial to understanding human history. I can see the connection between the ancient jewish concept of a "scapegoat" and the christian belief that Jesus' human sacrifice was the most ultimate and cosmic exercise in scapegoating; I can see the ways in which thousands of years of people viciously believing these narratives reflected in my every day life - there are social networks everywhere and, at least in the western world, it seems as if there is a lasting impression on even the most recent generations. I like this insight. I don't this this is necessarily a good thing however.

The sacred texts are just books like any other, so they're valuable as a form of literature I spose.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion is geared to teach people what to think, not how. And that is why I have no faith in religion.
I agree with you. But then the person speaks and you know how he thinks. I know how the religious folks here think. i do not know how the others think. It's hard to explain. I'll try. I can see proselitizers thinking. I can't see an atheist think. Comprenday? Can you see me think?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there was never relgion would there ever be a way to know how another person thinks? About like everything? LOL

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I agree with you. But then the person speaks and you know how he thinks. I know how the religious folks here think. i do not know how the others think. It's hard to explain. I'll try. I can see proselitizers thinking. I can't see an atheist think. Comprenday? Can you see me think?

Not to be contentious, but you are only seeing what the other person thinks, not how that person thinks. Granted that's a good thing. And, no, I cannot see you think as you cannot see me think. You can, however, see the end results of my thinking.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not to be contentious, but you are only seeing what the other person thinks, not how that person thinks. Granted that's a good thing. And, no, I cannot see you think as you cannot see me think. You can, however, see the end results of my thinking.
I can see what you mean. But being able to predict what a person will say is seeing how they think. You are right that you are harder to read than some.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can even predict quite accurately when a religious person won't respond. And when their feelings get all twisted up I am never surprised.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I like Religion because it is the expression of people's deepest hopes and goals.

That makes it worthwhile as a means for people to understand and connect with each other.

At its best, religion can also teach wisdom and, even more significantly, the means for attaining and caring for that wisdom.

For those reasons, it is worth rescuing from the grip of unchecked superstition that many people seem to believe to have ruined it forever.

I do dislike that religion is often perceived as justification for superstition, as well as for rather unwise, destructive actions and beliefs.

Religion is (basically by definition) a powerful motivator, and it should ever be used with the utmost responsibility.