• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Like Mike

Smoke

Done here.
Huckabee on abortion:

Q: Thompson and McCain both talk about leaving abortion to the states, the way it was before Roe vs. Wade ever became the law of the land in the first place. Why isn't that good enough?
A: ... So if you decide that it's just a political issue, then that's a perfectly acceptable, logical conclusion. But for those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right.

Huckabee on tolerance for LGBTs:

Everything you do and believe is directed by your answer to the ultimate question: Is there a God? It all comes down to that single issue. If there is a God, then everything moves one way. If there isn't, it moves another.
By refusing to define character using fixed standards, we lose our reference point., we lose our ability to navigate, and, therefore, we drift. Who is right and who is wrong? Who knows?

Huckabee on same-sex marriage and civil unions:

Q: Should Arkansas recognize civil unions between same-sex couples?
A: No.
Q: Should Arkansas restrict marriage to a union only between a man and a woman?
A: Yes.

Q: Will you support a federal marriage amendment, and what else will you do to protect the institution of marriage?
A: I would try to do the same things that I did as governor of Arkansas, where I led a constitutional amendment that was passed overwhelmingly by our voters that affirmed what marriage is. Marriage is a relationship between one man, one woman, for life. I also believe that we need to do other things. I declared a state of marital emergency in our state, called pastors and other clergy together to commit to community marriage policies, to not engage in carrying on marriages unless they had counseled with the couple beforehand. We were one of the few states that passed a covenant marriage bill in Arkansas. I would support strongly and lead--not just support, but lead--an effort to have a constitutional amendment to affirm marriage as between one man, one woman, for life.

Huckabee on AIDS:

It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS -- it is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population ...

Huckabee on WalMart:
  1. Allow me to list three reasons for this retailing behemoths extraordinary success:
  2. Wal-Mart empowers the consumer
  3. An efficient cost structure
  4. An exemplary corporate structure.
Huckabee on hate crimes legislation:

Q: If elected, can we count on you to veto any so-called "hate crimes" legislation?
HUCKABEE: Yes.

Huckabee on public education:
  • Support displaying the Ten Commandments in public schools.
  • Support abstinence-only sexual education programs.
Huckabee on evolution:

Q: Do you believe in evolution?
McCAIN: Yes.
Q: I'm curious, is there anybody on the stage that does not agree, believe in evolution?
[TANCREDO, HUCKABEE, and BROWNBACK raise their hands, indicating that they do not believe in evolution].

Huckabee on Darfur:

Q: Does the US have a role to play in ending the genocide in Darfur?
A: I think we have some role to play in it, but I guess what disturbs me even more, we have not even addressed the genocide that's going on and the infanticide in our own country with the slaughter of millions of unborn children.

Huckabee on international law:

We need a re-understanding that we are a sovereign nation. We do not answer to international law.

Huckabee on photo IDs for voters:

Q: Are you concerned that some eligible voters will be denied the right to vote simply because they don't have a driver's license?
A: I have to show photo ID to get on an airplane in my home town. I think it's not asking too much to make sure that people who are voting are truly eligible voters. When you register to vote, let's take your picture, and put it on a card. That way it doesn't dilute the vote if a lot of people who aren't registered voters try to fraudulently vote.

Huckabee on allowing churches to retain their tax-free status and still endorse candidates:

Q: My church is currently under IRS investigation for "political involvement" due to my identifying politicians who support the destruction of innocent unborn children. Would you remove the gag rule from pastors like me & repeal the restrictions against churches from expressing our biblical convictions for or against a candidate?
  • HUCKABEE: Yes.
Huckabee on his faith:

Today I am definitely a "grace Christian" & not a "law Christian." One of the few things I detest more than liberalism is legalism. I think both are cancers to the Christian faith-- liberalism because it doesn't believe in anything, & legalism because it restricts us only to things we can live up to. Liberalism makes God seem so commonplace that He becomes meaningless, while legalism makes God so small that He becomes insignificant.

jonny

There's no way I could support someone as my president who is openly bigoted against any religion - much less my own religion. Huckabee is the last man on earth who I would hire to represent me and my interests in our country and throughout the world. I might hire him to pick up dog crap out of my yard, but only if he kept his mouth shut.

jonny

The reasons why people don't like him is far more than just "he's a strong Christian and he used to be a pastor." Huckabee has expressly stated that he wants to rewrite the Constitution to fit his religious ideas, something that not only is a direct violation of church/state separation, but also repugnant to lots of people.

This issue really scares me. When I saw this speech, I was amazed. I can't believe that someone who is running for president could talk about the constitution like this. We don't need a president who wants to rewrite the constitution to support his theology. We need a president who will govern according to the principles in the constitution and protect the freedoms it grants us.

jonny

Do you actually think he believes that? Come on, man. I know exactly which quote you are referring to, and you need to watch out where you get your information from. That quote was in regards SPECIFICALLY to his stance on abortion. This has nothing to do with some sort of theocratic agenda.

I watched the speech. He said that he wanted to rewrite the constitution to bring it into compliance with the Bible. He was talking about abortion and gay marriage at the time, but if we're going to go down the road of using the bible to justify our laws, why stop there?

A

angellous_evangellous

There's no way I could support someone as my president who is openly bigoted against any religion - much less my own religion. Huckabee is the last man on earth who I would hire to represent me and my interests in our country and throughout the world. I might hire him to pick up dog crap out of my yard, but only if he kept his mouth shut.

My dog crap deserves better.

A

angellous_evangellous

I watched the speech. He said that he wanted to rewrite the constitution to bring it into compliance with the Bible.

*cries like a lunatic*

"If I'm President, I'll destroy our economy. Then I'll make sure that our country is completely destroyed and force us into a Dark Age.":cool:

Somkid

I am very resistant to anyone that has a religious view when it comes to governing, making laws and war.

tomspug

Absorbant
There's a difference between disliking someone who will use their faith to define government and someone who will use their faith to define themselves.

Tell me, if any of you gets elected to office, will you cast aside your beliefs for the sake of moral relativism? I can't believe you see Huckabee's faith as somehow a political weakness!

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Huckabee on abortion:

Q: Thompson and McCain both talk about leaving abortion to the states, the way it was before Roe vs. Wade ever became the law of the land in the first place. Why isn't that good enough?
A: ... So if you decide that it's just a political issue, then that's a perfectly acceptable, logical conclusion. But for those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right.

Huckabee on tolerance for LGBTs:

Everything you do and believe is directed by your answer to the ultimate question: Is there a God? It all comes down to that single issue. If there is a God, then everything moves one way. If there isn't, it moves another.
By refusing to define character using fixed standards, we lose our reference point., we lose our ability to navigate, and, therefore, we drift. Who is right and who is wrong? Who knows?

Huckabee on same-sex marriage and civil unions:

Q: Should Arkansas recognize civil unions between same-sex couples?
A: No.
Q: Should Arkansas restrict marriage to a union only between a man and a woman?
A: Yes.

Q: Will you support a federal marriage amendment, and what else will you do to protect the institution of marriage?
A: I would try to do the same things that I did as governor of Arkansas, where I led a constitutional amendment that was passed overwhelmingly by our voters that affirmed what marriage is. Marriage is a relationship between one man, one woman, for life. I also believe that we need to do other things. I declared a state of marital emergency in our state, called pastors and other clergy together to commit to community marriage policies, to not engage in carrying on marriages unless they had counseled with the couple beforehand. We were one of the few states that passed a covenant marriage bill in Arkansas. I would support strongly and lead--not just support, but lead--an effort to have a constitutional amendment to affirm marriage as between one man, one woman, for life.

Huckabee on AIDS:

It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS -- it is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population ...

Huckabee on WalMart:
  1. Allow me to list three reasons for this retailing behemoths extraordinary success:
  2. Wal-Mart empowers the consumer
  3. An efficient cost structure
  4. An exemplary corporate structure.
Huckabee on hate crimes legislation:

Q: If elected, can we count on you to veto any so-called "hate crimes" legislation?
HUCKABEE: Yes.

Huckabee on public education:

• Support displaying the Ten Commandments in public schools.
  • Support abstinence-only sexual education programs.
Huckabee on evolution:

Q: Do you believe in evolution?
McCAIN: Yes.
Q: I'm curious, is there anybody on the stage that does not agree, believe in evolution?
[TANCREDO, HUCKABEE, and BROWNBACK raise their hands, indicating that they do not believe in evolution].

Huckabee on Darfur:

Q: Does the US have a role to play in ending the genocide in Darfur?
A: I think we have some role to play in it, but I guess what disturbs me even more, we have not even addressed the genocide that's going on and the infanticide in our own country with the slaughter of millions of unborn children.

Huckabee on international law:

We need a re-understanding that we are a sovereign nation. We do not answer to international law.

Huckabee on photo IDs for voters:

Q: Are you concerned that some eligible voters will be denied the right to vote simply because they don't have a driver's license?
A: I have to show photo ID to get on an airplane in my home town. I think it's not asking too much to make sure that people who are voting are truly eligible voters. When you register to vote, let's take your picture, and put it on a card. That way it doesn't dilute the vote if a lot of people who aren't registered voters try to fraudulently vote.

Huckabee on allowing churches to retain their tax-free status and still endorse candidates:

Q: My church is currently under IRS investigation for "political involvement" due to my identifying politicians who support the destruction of innocent unborn children. Would you remove the gag rule from pastors like me & repeal the restrictions against churches from expressing our biblical convictions for or against a candidate?
  • HUCKABEE: Yes.
Huckabee on his faith:

Today I am definitely a "grace Christian" & not a "law Christian." One of the few things I detest more than liberalism is legalism. I think both are cancers to the Christian faith-- liberalism because it doesn't believe in anything, & legalism because it restricts us only to things we can live up to. Liberalism makes God seem so commonplace that He becomes meaningless, while legalism makes God so small that He becomes insignificant.
All that combined with his stance on immigration is enough for me to not like him.

jonny

There's a difference between disliking someone who will use their faith to define government and someone who will use their faith to define themselves.

Tell me, if any of you gets elected to office, will you cast aside your beliefs for the sake of moral relativism? I can't believe you see Huckabee's faith as somehow a political weakness!

It's a funny world we live in when bigotry is called "faith."

We live in a pluralist society. Evangelicals are going to have to learn to deal with it.

Draka

Wonder Woman

It's more than a weakness...it's downright scary. You want to define who you are by your beliefs...fine...but when you want to use those beliefs to define how other people should lead their lives then we have a HUGE problem.

I don't think any of us here are saying that once you step into office you should cast out all that you believe in, but we ARE saying that you shouldn't make any government decisions that would, in any way, affect anyone else based on those beliefs. Which is exactly what Huckabee wants to do and has said as much, and more, over and over.

He is a terrible candidate. Flat out.

tomspug

Absorbant
You know what I find scary, that people who know NOTHING about someone will call him a bigot. I'm sorry, but you're all wrong about Huckabee. I understand your differences about his opinions politically, but it seems to me that most of you just don't like him for being a Christian.

Seriously, listen to what you're saying. Why don't you put your foot in your own mouth and actually go READ a speech that Huckabee has written?

Brother, I thought I would find opinions like these on a pundit website, but I thought that this place was a LITTLE more open minded than this. Guess not.

A

angellous_evangellous

All that combined with his stance on immigration is enough for me to not like him.

He had me at hello:

Everything you do and believe is directed by your answer to the ultimate question: Is there a God? It all comes down to that single issue.