• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I like Hindu gods

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
For some reason I feel an affinity for Hindu gods even though I do not believe in any gods to be real. Should I do something about this?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I was an atheist before i developed an attraction to Lord Vishnu. Perhaps something like this will happen if you let it? :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For some reason I feel an affinity for Hindu gods even though I do not believe in any gods to be real. Should I do something about this?
Try to know more about Hinduism. Hinduism is not just about Gods but much more. I am a Hindu and a strong atheist. Although I do not think we have agnostics in our ranks. It is either yes or no. A pantheist is not an agnostic, and an agnostic cannot be a pantheist. If you do not believe the Gods to be real then you are an atheist. You need to analyze your views.:D

ps.: I thought you had done that by now. :D
You say that you like Hindu gods! Which of the 330 million Hindu gods do you like?
Yeah, which God or Goddess. Let us not forget the Goddesses. They are mighty and loving too. ;)

Last edited:

The Anointed

Try to know more about Hinduism. Hinduism is not just about Gods but much more. I am a Hindu and a strong atheist. Although I do not think we have agnostics in our ranks. It is either yes or no. A pantheist is not an agnostic, and an agnostic cannot be a pantheist. If you do not believe the Gods to be real then you are an atheist. You need to analyze your views.:D

ps.: I thought you had done that by now. :DYeah, which God or Goddess. Let us not forget the Goddesses. They are mighty and loving too. ;)

Atheism is defined as the doctrine that there is no god or that the word 'god' and statements about it or using it are meaningless.

Are you saying that you are a Hindu that does not belong to the religion of Hinduism and reject the belief that even one God exists, let alone the 330 million gods of the Hindu religion?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are you saying that you are a Hindu that does not belong to the religion of Hinduism and reject the belief that even one God exists, let alone the 330 million gods of the Hindu religion?
No, I very much belong to Hinduism and am a staunch Hindu. I am also a strong atheist (which means I reject even the possibility of the existence of Gods and Goddesses). That is why I said try to know more about Hinduism.

Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia
<FONT COLOR=RED SIZE=2 style=text-decoration:none>THE SPEAKING TREE</FONT><BR>The Atheistic Roots of Hindu Philosophy - Times of India

Shantanu

No, I very much belong to Hinduism and am a staunch Hindu. I am also a strong atheist (which means I reject even the possibility of the existence of Gods and Goddesses). That is why I said try to know more about Hinduism.

Atheism in Hinduism - Wikipedia
<FONT COLOR=RED SIZE=2 style=text-decoration:none>THE SPEAKING TREE</FONT><BR>The Atheistic Roots of Hindu Philosophy - Times of India
Guruji

Your stance is a ploy to God because you were once a theist and you found out that it is wrong to be a theist because God does not want any theists. Please confirm that deep down you know that there is a Personal God.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

There aren't that many Hindus on RF these days, so you won't get as wide an answer as there is in real life. I've seen other non-Hindus have this affinity, especially for the ones like Ganesha, or Lakshmi, who seem close to you because of the way they're portrayed. For example, I've seen people carry small symbols of them as 'good luck charms'.

There is nothing at all you need to do about it, in my view. If they call you, then sure, go to a temple, explore it a bit. That happens to people, it happened to me.

Generally though, Hindu gods are portrayed as friendly, helpful, with little anger, just love and helpfulness. That might be why you feel the way you do as well. There's no wrath there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your stance is a ploy to God because you were once a theist and you found out that it is wrong to be a theist because God does not want any theists. Please confirm that deep down you know that there is a Personal God.
No, there is none, Shantanu.
For example, I've seen people carry small symbols of them as 'good luck charms'.
Obama keeps a Hanuman trinket in his purse.

monkey-god-hindu-idol-in-obamas-pocket1.jpg

GoodbyeDave

If you feel an affinity that must mean something. In traditional societies, one worships the gods that ones family worships. For those of us with no such tradition, being drawn to particular gods is generally the first step.

But why do you not consider them to be real? The American anthropologist and art historian Stephen Huyler had been visiting India regularly for 20 years before, at a village ceremony, he suddenly was aware of a goddess: "I was completely surprised, overwhelmed beyond any expectation. In that one moment I, who had come as an observer, had become a participant. I was transformed." The film-maker Maya Deren had many similar experiences when she went to film Vodu ceremonies. Many, many people throughout history have had close encounters with gods. They know the gods are real. Those who have not been so lucky can still acept their testimony; after all, how much of the stuff that you were taught at school have you (or could you) personally verified? If you can swallow a blue up quark, believing in a god is a modest step!

If you have a temple within range, try visiting it. If not, try praying to the gods: they will hear you and may even make their presence known.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with Aup. I'm not a believer in Gods.
That said, I also believe there are levels of reality, and what is real in one is not real in another. The world is all in our heads.

I can dream of a Vishnu, and that Vishnu is real -- at that level. I can also create a 'real' Vishnu, or teapot, or laptop, in my current waking-state. Waking state is just as much a mental construct as dream-state.
Subjectively, the world I perceive is my own creation -- Gods or no Gods.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheism is defined as the doctrine

Not really. Atheism is hardly a doctrine. It is much too simple to claim to be one.

that there is no god
That would be strong atheism, which is indeed one of the major subsets of atheism.

or that the word 'god' and statements about it or using it are meaningless.
No, that is technically orthogonal to atheism. That would instead be ignosticism.

No, he is not saying that, but I will let Aup clarify. :)

The Anointed

Not really. Atheism is hardly a doctrine. It is much too simple to claim to be one.

That would be strong atheism, which is indeed one of the major subsets of atheism.

No, that is technically orthogonal to atheism. That would instead be ignosticism.

No, he is not saying that, but I will let Aup clarify. :)

A strong or a weak atheist is an atheist who does not believe in a god or gods. An atheist is an atheist.

An agnostic is one who is uncertain or uncommitted on any question at issue.
Agnosticism is the philosophical view that it is impossible to know whether or not gods exist.

A theist is one who believes in the existence of a God or gods, especially a personal God, who is the creator and ruler of the whole world.

If you are unsure whether or not a god exists, then you are neither an atheist nor a theist.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The true and living God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob says you should repent of your idolatry. There is no other God but Him.
What evidence do you have to support this assertion? There are many of other faiths that would disagree, and many who would point out that there is no empirical evidence of any God at all.