• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I learned something new!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"I'll sit up in the gods. They are the cheapest seats."

The gods (UK English), or sometimes paradise, is a theatrical term, referring to the highest areas of a theatre such as the upper balconies. These are generally the cheapest seats. One reason for naming the cheapest seats "the gods" is because the theatres have beautifully painted ceilings, often mythological themes, so the cheap seats are up near the gods. Another is that those seated in "the gods" look down upon both the performers and the occupants of more expensive seats, like the Olympian Gods looking do… The gods (theatrical) - Wikipedia

I wonder if that's how the word is used, actually.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I've never heard that terminology before... Huh.

Ever heard of the term "Stop yankin my chain!" Apparently it comes from coal miners in the distant past. They'd designate one of their mining carts as a toilet, and those carts usually had a chain attached so they could pull them out of the mine so they could be dumped. Apparently, one of the popular pranks of the time was when you'd have someone who was sitting down to do their business, and someone would sneak up and grab that chain to "take em for a ride."

tenor.gif

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've never heard that terminology before... Huh.

Ever heard of the term "Stop yankin my chain!" Apparently it comes from coal miners in the distant past. They'd designate one of their mining carts as a toilet, and those carts usually had a chain attached so they could pull them out of the mine so they could be dumped. Apparently, one of the popular pranks of the time was when you'd have someone who was sitting down to do their business, and someone would sneak up and grab that chain to "take em for a ride."

tenor.gif

Couple of times. Didn't know the origin. Hm. I think it's similar to "stop pulling my leg" or stop trying to fool me.

Viker

Häxan
"All the bells and whistles " comes from when people were buried alive regularly. You could buy a bell, whistle or an elaborate set. A better understanding of death, embalming and airtight vaults killed that industry.

Viker

Häxan

The gods (UK English), or sometimes paradise, is a theatrical term, referring to the highest areas of a theatre such as the upper balconies. These are generally the cheapest seats. One reason for naming the cheapest seats "the gods" is because the theatres have beautifully painted ceilings, often mythological themes, so the cheap seats are up near the gods. Another is that those seated in "the gods" look down upon both the performers and the occupants of more expensive seats, like the Olympian Gods looking do… The gods (theatrical) - Wikipedia

They call it the nose bleed section around here. Probably every where.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Seems it is a good idea to promote the cheapest seats that are so far away you feel like you are not even there as something much much better than the cheapest seats that are so far away it is as though you are not even there.
At least from a business PoV.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I learned something new too. Thank you.