• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know not all Muslims are Islamists, but...

HiddenHijabi

Okay, got it. Thanks for that.

Couple more questions, if I can. For any wearing the face veil, why not go the burqa?
And also, I've read conflicting reports about where the...requirement I guess...to wear even a hijab is in the Quran. Can anyone clarify, or at least tell me more from a cultural point of view where it comes from if it's not a requirement of the Quran?

Might be a bit off topic, but I don't get the chance to ask these questions in my day to day life. Last observant Muslim girl I was friends with was way back at Uni (and I mean waaaay back. I'm not as young as I used to be...lol)

Asalaamu aleikum!

Regarding the burqa, I'm assuming you mean the Afghan-style one with the mesh screen over the eyes. Possibly the single most obvious reason that particular form of burka isn't more common is simply that it can be massively cumbersome and impractical for the most part. Things like crossing the road, or reading, would be difficult given the loss of vision.
There's also a number of historic and cultural reasons for the burqa or niqab being worn, including pre-Islamic veiling practices in some countries which are now Muslim or have Muslim populations, such as India, where the practice is often linked with marriage status, Iran, where earlier Persian cultures also covered the face, and Israel where there is some evidence of ancient veiling practices, as well as a current Haredi Jewish sect practicing this.

The arguments surrounding niqab and hijab are many but I'll try and sum them up. The Qur'an commands modesty for both men and women, and there is at least one verse where it states this:

"O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around themselves; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle."

Surah Al-Ahzab Ayah 59

There's also a number of hadith regarding the forbidding of covering the face during Hajj, which suggests that for such a statement to be made, the practice was common. Other hadith talk about covering all but the face and hands for prayer, and there is also a hadith which specifically mentions that some Muslim women, when the verses commanding modesty were revealed, that they 'looked as though they had crows hanging around their heads' suggesting that they wore long black headcoverings.
Niqab is more difficult and typically points to some of the reasons I've mentioned, but also some hadith which suggest, as I mention above, about women having to uncover their faces for Hajj.

It must be said that for all the talk of hijab, there are Muslim women who choose to wear nothing on their heads in their daily life and I wouldn't judge them as being 'lesser' Muslims for doing so. The argument over hijab really depends on the scholarly schools you want to follow, the country you're talking about and even just plain personal choice on the part of Muslim women.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I still think that there is a great difference in how women dress. I should say I'm somewhat of an expert on the subject, given how much of my day is spent glancing...my bad...

On any given day women dress differently........
However most have a wide range of outfits that are not very different to other women's outfits.
What they wear is down to their mood, the occasion, and the weather.

Sakeenah

Hey, thanks for posting the article link, I found it an interesting read. I have to be honest, though, I still don't really understand the point of wearing the face veil vs simply wearing the hijab. You're still clearly proclaiming your religion, are still (as I understand it) complying with the tenets of the Quran, and can still dress modestly in combination with it.

I guess that's the part I can't quite grasp. Why go the extra step? I might have trouble understanding, to be honest. I'm a male atheist trying to imagine life from the pov of a Muslim woman...lol...it's a stretch for me!

But how does it make you closer to God?

I think hiddenhijabi answered most of your questions. And like she mentioned it's really going that extra mile. And when you go that extra mile for God you feel closer to Him.
Your not the only one who has a trouble understanding..which is completely normal. But I think asking question and discussing these issues is a good way to develop respect for one another.
Sometimes when I'm outside and I see people stare at me..I wish they would just walk up to me and ask me questions

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I think hiddenhijabi answered most of your questions. And like she mentioned it's really going that extra mile. And when you go that extra mile for God you feel closer to Him.
Your not the only one who has a trouble understanding..which is completely normal. But I think asking question and discussing these issues is a good way to develop respect for one another.

That's a good explanation in itself. Going the extra step to be closer to God is the most simple answer i've ever been given :)

Nehustan

Sometimes when I'm outside and I see people stare at me..I wish they would just walk up to me and ask me questions

There's the 'take on step toward Allah...He will take 10 toward you' hadith (?) that might be a good way to explain why going the 'extra mile' appeals...

Nehustan

Allah (swt) says: “Take one step towards me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards me, I will run towards you.” Hadith Qudsi.

Sakeenah

There's the 'take on step toward Allah...He will take 10 toward you' hadith (?) that might be a good way to explain why going the 'extra mile' appeals...

Is this the hadith you are referring to..one of my favourite

it's a hadith narrated by Abu hurayrah
The prophet said that Allah the Almighty said:

‘I am as My servant thinks I am . I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed."

Nehustan

Is this the hadith you are referring to..one of my favourite

it's a hadith narrated by Abu hurayrah
The prophet said that Allah the Almighty said:

‘I am as My servant thinks I am . I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assembly better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed."

That is slightly longer than the hadith I had heard, probably a different narration, but yes broadly..