• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

i just like this WWII story about Laie Hawaii Temple...

PHOTOTAKER

Briefly, the story goes that the late Robert Kahawaii, a Laie resident, saw a Japanese dive-bomber try to attack the Hawaii Temple on Pearl Harbor Day, December 7, 1941. Sixteen years later, a Japanese man tracted out by missionaries in Matsumoto City, Japan, got very excited when an Elder Stout showed him a picture of the Temple, and then told how he was the pilot that morning. Having one bomb left, he attempted several times to drop it on the obviously important building, but was unable to release the bomb. Next he tried to strafe the temple, but his guns wouldn't fire. He even thought of crashing into the building, but his controls wouldn't work. Flying back out to sea, he successfully tested his guns, so he made one more pass . . . but just as before, nothing would work. He ended up dumping his bomb in the ocean in shame and returned to his aircraft carrier.

the link

i know this story cannot be totaly varified but it is still a really good story!!!

Bishka

Veteran Member
It's a nice fuzzie story, but it was confirmed on campus (BYU-I) awhile ago by my religion teacher that it's just that, a story, there is no fact behind it. Sorry :(

Grimuspf42

I heard that story many years ago in my Doctrine and Covenants class from my professor, Sister Mary Hess, at Ricks College [now BYUI]. She served as a missionary in Hawaii during the time that this Japanese man had recently joined the church. She had the privilege of listening to his experience in a fireside and how he bore his testimony of Divine Intervention. He talked about how his commanding officer gave him complete instructions as to the location of the Temple and what it looked like. Over and over and over again, he flew over the Temple to destroy it, but he couldn't see it as his eyes were veiled. He left the Temple site with a deep sense of failure at not completing what he had been ordered to do. This bothered him profoundly for a long time. I don't know how he came in contact with the missionaries, but as a result of this extraordinary experience, he joined the church. Sister Hess was enthralled, as a young missionary, with this man's fervent testimony. I know this story is true because I remember how I felt that day when she retold it in class. The next time you hear a faith-promoting story, remember how you felt while you were listening to it. If you get "goose bumps" or that "warm feeling", the Spirit is trying to tell you something, so you had better be paying attention. "Lean not unto thine own understanding."