• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have two questions about monkeys and evolution

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, I have no problem to consider myself an ape. Even though I take pride to belong to the "great" category thereof. :)

Now, add mentally lots of hair to your body so that the face and the rest of the body is covered with hair.

So, I am sure every child looking at you will say they saw an ape (Christian meaning of the word). Not a tiger, not a spider, not a mouse, but, without any doubt whatsoever, an ape. The living being closest to what you call "ape", in all of creation. Germans even call gorillas and such "Menschenaffen", where Menschen = people, Affen = Apes, to stress even further our strong physical resemblance.

Now, since this appears obvious, what do Christians really think it differentiates us from the other apes. Just some additional hair?

And since "ape" is a biological denomination like "mammal", why do you seem to have no problem to be a mammal, while you seem to be reluctant to be an ape? Are apes somehow less worthy than general mammals? Why? Are gorillas less worthy than rats? Why?

Ciao

- viole
P.S. I'm not reluctant to be an ape. I'm NOT an ape.

night912

The theory. When I look in the mirror I don't see a bonobo, gorilla, chimpanzee or any ape, lol. maybe you see yourself and other humans that way?
When I look at a gorilla, I don't see a chimpanzee or a human. You may mentally see yourself as a gorilla or a chimpanzee, but biologically/physically, you're a human. So next time when you look in the mirror, don't try to look for a gorilla or a chimpanzee, instead just look for an ape that way you won't get disappointed seeing a human and not a gorilla or chimpanzee. ;)

YoursTrue

Apparently you're defining "ape" differently from the rest of us. What is an ape, in your opinion, and how is an ape different from a human?
I don't believe humans are animals unless they act like them. Although animals have some fine points God's word the Bible brings out.
I believe God made animals and plants in their respective categories. Not necessarily man's scientific terms of evolution.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Every time you move or think or do anything, there are all kinds of chemicals interacting in your brain as a result of incoming stimuli. This all occurs naturally.
Or do you think that some God is tinkering in our every thought, every move, producing each individual synapse experienced by every creature on earth?
Thanks to this thing called life, we can move. Without it, we can't. but you do not know what that is, or how it came about, do you.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Ok, so you don't think we are mammals. Is the interpretation good now?
No. You are adding to what I said, Viole. :)
Man can use whatever terminologies he wishes. It has nothing to do with me, or living and breathing.

For, either you think we are mammals or we don't.
However, I understand why you do not like to make a clear move in one direction or the other. You are in a mating net, basically.
Either the obvious, or denial.

Ciao

- viole
You have a serious flaw in your understanding. Are you sure you read the entire post? It contains a lot, if you don't just read it superficially.
Nonetheless, aside from the fact that you are wrong, classifications are the product of men, and men are not gods. Nor do they control everyone.
If you are happy to have them control you, that's your choice, dear.

Me? Not :D
Human - Wikipedia

Note. They say...
All modern humans are classified into the species Homo sapiens
What does that mean? The name "Homo sapiens" means 'wise man' or 'knowledgeable man'.
Ha Ha. Who determines that? The term was coined by Carl Linnaeus in his 18th-century work Systema Naturae.
Who? Carl Linnaeus? Who's he?

The generic name "Homo" is a learned 18th-century derivation from Latin homō, which refers to humans of either sex. The word human can refer to all members of the Homo genus, although in common usage it generally just refers to Homo sapiens, the only extant species.

There is disagreement if extinct members of the genus, namely Neanderthals, should be included as a separate species of humans or as a subspecies of H. sapiens. o_O They were too stupid? :(

Human is a loanword of Middle English from Old French humain, ultimately from Latin hūmānus, the adjectival form of homō ('man' — in the sense of humankind). The native English term man can refer to the species generally (a synonym for humanity) as well as to human males. It may also refer to individuals of either sex, though this lattermost form is less common in contemporary English.
The word person is often used interchangeably with human, but philosophical debate exists as to whether personhood applies to all humans or all sentient beings, and further if one can lose personhood (such as by going into a persistent vegetative state).

Can you blame me for not accepting what terminologies man in his "wisdom" decides to use.
Imagine I am a Neanderthal, who believe my species are more wise that the two footed creatures that build all these crazy stuff rhat mess up the environment, and lives. Do you think I would jump for joy at their calling themselves 'knowledgeable man'? Ha.
I would have a name for them, which they would not like. :D

God classified his creation. That's all I need to accept, viole. :)
Genesis 1:26 - God said: “Let us make man. . ." Hebrew : אָדָם adam - man, mankind.
You are woman viole - womankind, or simply man - mankind. Okay? Are you not? Please don't go ape, because some man's idea dictates you are.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Once again, it does not matter what you believe. It matters what you know. Some people may believe that they are not apes, but they do not know that. Those of us that do know that we are apes can support that fact.

The question is why insist that a fairy tale that paints God as being incompetent and evilly vain has to be literally true? It appears that some versions of Christianity plants some very poisonous seeds in people at a very young age and they never get rid of the flawed thinking that creates.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh I don't reject the classification of primate. Maybe I will, lol, I'll see.
I hope you do. :)
History of terminology
The English name primates is derived from Old French or French primat, from a noun use of Latin primat-, from primus ('prime, first rank'). The name was given by Carl Linnaeus because he thought this the "highest" order of animals. The relationships among the different groups of primates were not clearly understood until relatively recently, so the commonly used terms are somewhat confused. For example, ape has been used either as an alternative for monkey or for any tailless, relatively human-like primate.

Unless you are an ape. :D ... which I am sure you are not. ;)

YoursTrue

What is the problem, if you have no problem to be a mammal?

ciao

- viole
I was just looking at the news. There was a pretty (dare I use the word?) reporter. I tried imagining her with dark hair all over her body, and facial features like gorillas and chimpanzees. It was more than difficult to think of her with hands, facial features and dark hair all over her as if she might be a monkey, gorilla, or something like that. Nope. Sorry.

YoursTrue

I hope you do. :)
History of terminology
The English name primates is derived from Old French or French primat, from a noun use of Latin primat-, from primus ('prime, first rank'). The name was given by Carl Linnaeus because he thought this the "highest" order of animals. The relationships among the different groups of primates were not clearly understood until relatively recently, so the commonly used terms are somewhat confused. For example, ape has been used either as an alternative for monkey or for any tailless, relatively human-like primate.

Unless you are an ape. :D ... which I am sure you are not. ;)
Well that's interesting. I did look up the word and it also applies to the head of a church. :)
  1. the chief bishop or archbishop of a province." the primate of Poland"

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't believe humans are animals unless they act like them. Although animals have some fine points God's word the Bible brings out.
I believe God made animals and plants in their respective categories. Not necessarily man's scientific terms of evolution.
But how are you defining "animal?" What is an animal?
Are we animals? if not, what taxonomic category would we fall into?

YoursTrue

But how are you defining "animal?" What is an animal?
Are we animals? if not, what taxonomic category would we fall into?
That is the idea, @Valjean, since I am going by the bible's categorization and succession of lifeforms. And so as has been mentioned, after God created the animals according to His will, He made man and then woman. And He made them different from the animals in many ways. Although we do have hair, legs, and go to the bathroom. To put it succinctly. Again though, humans are...still different than animals. We do eat and drink as animals do but we are different in manner. For sure.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I was just looking at the news. There was a pretty (dare I use the word?) reporter. I tried imagining her with dark hair all over her body, and facial features like gorillas and chimpanzees. It was more than difficult to think of her with hands, facial features and dark hair all over her as if she might be a monkey, gorilla, or something like that. Nope. Sorry.
Yeah. They still would not look like an ape. Total difference ... even the eyes.
male-facial-hair-320x200.jpg

great-apes.jpg

It's an insult to humans, and the Devil's idea... that's right... the Devil's idea of lowering the most special creation of God.
It's wickedness..

YoursTrue

Yeah. They still would not look like an ape. Total difference ... even the eyes.
male-facial-hair-320x200.jpg

great-apes.jpg

It's an insult to humans, and the Devil's idea... that's right... the Devil's idea of lowering the most special creation of God.
It's wickedness..
Yes, they do look a bit different, lol. Except the gorilla looks like he went to the hairdresser. You think? I mean his beard is so nice and symmetrical. Quite fetching, I would say.