• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have two drug addictions.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
I can't stop smoking or drinking coffee. I put this hear because I am seeking advice from religious people who have been in recovery for at least one drug addiction. Did you struggle with self hate or feel like you were making God very sad? Anyone is welcome to comment.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I can't stop smoking or drinking coffee. I put this hear because I am seeking advice from religious people who have been in recovery for at least one drug addiction. Did you struggle with self hate or feel like you were making God very sad? Anyone is welcome to comment.
The coffee addiction is minimal. I would try to take care of the smoking addiction. As an exsmoker I can give a couple of words of advice. Cut down before you quit. Try to avoid stress. Stress will trigger the need for a cigarette. Patches and time make it less painful, but it also makes it a longer process. When I finally quit for good I did so without any nicotine products. Once you get through your first week keep reminding yourself that you already was the worst of your cravings and the jabs of desire will get weaker and weaker as the days go by.

74x12

Coffee? ... :confused:

Someone I know recently quit smoking and stopped doing meth. He claims it was God that delivered him. He had wanted to quit for awhile and was praying for deliverance and we had been praying for him for awhile as well. God is good.

YeshuaRedeemed

The coffee addiction is minimal. I would try to take care of the smoking addiction. As an exsmoker I can give a couple of words of advice. Cut down before you quit. Try to avoid stress. Stress will trigger the need for a cigarette. Patches and time make it less painful, but it also makes it a longer process. When I finally quit for good I did so without any nicotine products. Once you get through your first week keep reminding yourself that you already was the worst of your cravings and the jabs of desire will get weaker and weaker as the days go by.
Thank you. I want to switch to ultralight and cut down before I quit. I am scared I wont enjoy life anymore. My addiction is a physical one as well, was yours?

YeshuaRedeemed

Coffee? ... :confused:

Someone I know recently quit smoking and stopped doing meth. He claims it was God that delivered him. He had wanted to quit for awhile and was praying for deliverance and we had been praying for him for awhile as well. God is good.
Maybe you would like to pray for me?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you. I want to switch to ultralight and cut down before I quit. I am scared I wont enjoy life anymore. My addiction is a physical one as well, was yours?
Nicotine causes physical addiction. So yes. Cutting down ahead of time helps to lower the strength of that physical addiction.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
While nicotine creates a physical addiction, "I'm scared I won't enjoy life anymore," is a psychological addiction. One thing that may help you is to realize that what you just said, is not your thoughts, but it's the addiction's thoughts telling you that so it doesn't have to let go of its patterns and habit of getting its "fix". It doesn't care about you. It only cares you keep feeding it, no matter what the cost is to you.

The truth is, not only do you not need it, without it you will be hundreds of times happier and healthier in every way imaginable. It's just a voice, and you can chose to tell it, "I don't believe you anymore", and push through it telling you, "I won't enjoy life anymore." It lies.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not religious, but the self hate and sadness have to be addressed. You might find some support groups in your area for smoking cessation (I'm a fan of switching to vaping to wean yourself off nicotine as it allows for the oral fixation, reduction in amount of nicotine, and getting enough to calm a craving instead of a whole cigarette, and cut out TONS of very nasty things), and you might also be able to find a therapist to help you deal with the negative emotional feelings, coping methods, and advice for both caffeine and nicotine (probably not many actual services for specifically caffeine). Tobacco is pretty bad, but caffeine isn't too bad unless you're gulping pots of coffee, cans of energy drinks, or eating caffeine pills like M&Ms. And also address one thing at a time (just dealing with one at a time will be hard enough), and I strongly suggest you start with the smoking (it's more deadly and destructive than literally every other drug combined by a long shot*). You can do this, don't beat yourself up over it (especially if you back slide), don't should on yourself, and don't feel bad for asking people for help, even if it's just to have someone to talk to to help take your mind off your cravings.
You can also Youtube some pretty good videos about mindfulness and guided meditations, and there are some phone apps also out there. And do seek some professional help. The "struggle with self hate or feel like your were making God very sad" is especially something you should address before this can fester into something very ugly and nasty (I'm a survivor of that abyss).
I wish you luck in this endeavor.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

In my struggle with smoking, I felt that I was letting myself down and injuring my health. I never felt any sort of religious injunction about tobacco and caffeine.

I am scared I wont enjoy life anymore. My addiction is a physical one as well, was yours?
Nicotine and caffeine both create a physical addiction - in other words there are withdrawal symptoms when someone stops using them.

As far as fear goes, for some time in the past I found this poem by Rosemary Harris very helpful to keep in mind.

My companion is fear
Walking behind me like a shadow.
He sees obstacles where none are,
He knows death as disintegration,
He comes from hell to cherish me
Saying 'turn right,' 'turn left,'
'Look, there is a lion in the road
And no resurrection.'

Yet I will make my torturer
My dear companion.
For in acceptance he grows honest,
Showing that a skeleton is only bones
And one moment no longer than another
And pain only sensation
Like the color of the rose,
Less than the falling of a leaf.

See, I shall turn my head,
Diminish him with pity,
Kill him with understanding
Even love . . .
Looking him in the eye
I shall observe his dwindling
Because he is only a shadow
Lost between me and the sun.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
There is a natural and healthy substitute for coffee--but don't remember the name.

In our church we had a chain smoker that simply cut down and cut down until he said "Pastor, next week I will smoke my last cigarette".

If you will just remember that there is nothing you do that will make God love you any less or any more than what He does right now. If your heart says "I am trying to change", you are heading in the right direction. Every child fails and falls when he takes his first step. But we cheer him for taking the first step.

If all you do is stop with one cigarette less, God cheers you for that first step. :) Go for it.

May I suggest you read "Destined to Reign" by Joseph Prince?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Have a chat with @YmirGF , he's just quit smoking and may have some good advice

Dont worry about coffee, but i would say that, i am addicted too

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Switch to a vape for smoking, the nicotine itself is pretty harmless it's all the other crap in the cigarettes that kill you. If you're a heavy smoker start with 12 mg vape juice and slowly take it down by 2-4 mg over a period of weeks. You'll get the enjoyment without the physical punishment. I was a heavy smoker and was doing 24 mg (extremely high nic), I still use 12 (which is normal), but use that even less frequently now than . The other thing is vape juice can be made, it takes the nic base, a couple of other chemicals you can buy on amazon and about $30 of measuring equipment I probably spend $100 on enough to make for me and my wife for a year. :D Essentially, an immediate $3,000 a year in pocket. So, have the enjoyment, less addiction, and save a boatload. There is even zero nic vape juice if you just can't break the "habit" of smoking but don't want the nic. Some people can easily quit the nic, but still enjoy the activity of smoking and that's the kicker in many cases. Vape juice is essentially "fog juice" with flavoring as is completely harmless. Nicotine is technically a poison in concentrations over 1000 mg, but by that definition so is water as over-consuming that would kill you as well.

Coffee? It's harmless, other than disrupting sleep schedules when taken hours before bed. If you don't drink it then, it has no adverse effect on a technical basis.

Anyway, if you're feeling guilty about either there is no need. Guilt is just something used to manipulate people. Figure out why you need to do something and address the problem from that direction. If you need to smoke because it helps you relax or focus it's not terrible, just switch the mechanism by which you receive the nicotine to something not harmful to your health. If you need coffee to stay up because you spend long hours driving an addiction to this is less harmful to your health than an auto accident.

spirit_of_dawn

You can start by thanking God on a daily basis that you are not addicted to worse things.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I can't stop smoking or drinking coffee. I put this hear because I am seeking advice from religious people who have been in recovery for at least one drug addiction. Did you struggle with self hate or feel like you were making God very sad?
Christianity makes people feel bad and guilty for all kinds of things. We should feel feelings based on the reality of the situation. Specifically:
  • Coffee -- it might be bad for some people. And dosage is everything. Need to consider it's effects on the body and the disposition.
  • Smoking -- it killed all four on my parents and my wife's parents. It destroys the ability to breathe. It stinks and makes you stink. I think it hardens and solidifies the mind. It is very addictive. And it is very hard to quit. I recommend never giving up trying to quit. Once you give up, you will never quit.