• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have resigned from Christianity

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I've finally done it...

I've been meaning to do this for around a week

I have now finally resigned from Christianity :(

I've quit

If I could press a button that would make me believe in the things I no longer believe in then I would press it, but no such button could ever exist

I was happy as a Christian but I can no longer be one

Am now going a different way - and hopefully my path won't be a lonely one

When she was alive my paternal grandmother gave me a golden crucifix to wear round my neck. I will remove the cross but continue to wear the chain. But I will always keep that cross in a safe place.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've finally done it...

I've quit

If I could press a button that would make me believe in the things I no longer believe in then I would press it, but no such button could ever exist

When she was alive my paternal grandmother gave me a golden crucifix to wear round my neck. I will remove the cross but continue to wear the chain. But I will always keep that cross in a safe place.

And have you got a path in front of you that you can follow?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I've finally done it...

I've quit

All i can do is to wish you all the best @Eddi I truly hope you find answer to what you seeking.
You are an interesting person you know, even you have from time to time some stange thoughts :)

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I've finally done it...

I've quit

I am proud of you for following your heart. It's okay to say no to a faith that doesn't resonate with you. It takes courage. I did something similar, officially, yesterday, on facebook, as many of my Christian friends didn't know about my path until now.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I've finally done it...

I've quit

Welcome to the club! Oftentimes the toughest part of this sort of thing are the social consequences, such as losing friends or not being as close to some family members. Hopefully that won't be much of an issue for you. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, it is tough to abandon what you were believing for a long time. But once done, the act is supremely satisfying. It frees you. I felt the same way when I abandoned theist Hinduism for atheist Hinduism. Furtunately, in India such an act has no social consequences. Belief, religion is your personal thing.

John1.12

Free gift
I've finally done it...

I've quit

If I may ask , how did you become a Christian?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
If I may ask , how did you become a Christian?
I became one as a consequence in me coming to believe in God

I came to believe in God, and through that belief I came to believe in Jesus - for me a belief in Jesus was a natural consequence of my belief in God

I then did the Alpha Course, and a thing called Freedom In Christ and these consolidated my faith

I did truly believe it all

I eventually got baptised on the 19th of January 2020

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes its hard to admit what one does/doesn't believe, but it can be quite freeing over time. It gives one room to grow. :)

Is there anything positive you can identify from Christianity that you can keep with you? One needn't believe in the God of Abraham, as you say, to enjoy an aspect of the culture. For example, a biblical story, music, or the architecture of a Cathedral. Sometimes keeping a piece that's comfortable around helps during the adjustment period. One needn't be uncomfortable with their old footsteps to walk a new path. I hope the adventure takes you to wonderful new places.

I haven't identified as Christian since I was a little kid, but still like thinking about Noah's Ark. Who do you think clean up all that poop? It makes me laugh.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
I've finally done it...

I've quit

I wouldn't worry. If you're wrong, Godcwould understand.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I've finally done it...

I've quit

What are your current thoughts on an afterlife?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Reincarnation for roughly 90% of people
Deletion for roughly 9% of people (evil people)
Promotion for roughly 1% of people (exemplary people)
Me too except I don’t believe deletion is possible.

I also believe there is a considerable afterlife period between reincarnation.

Even if you are not a Christian at least you’re not an atheist-materialist.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've finally done it...

I've quit

It can be rather freeing. One can not be a "Christian" and still see that there are many good messages in the Bible. Dropping the belief allows one to legitimately ignore the bad teachings of the Bible. Quite often the worst Christians that I know of are the fundamentalists that swear one has to accept all of the Bible and the best Christians that I know of are those that are no longer Christian.

John1.12

Free gift
I became one as a consequence in me coming to believe in God

I came to believe in God, and through that belief I came to believe in Jesus - for me a belief in Jesus was a natural consequence of my belief in God

I then did the Alpha Course, and a thing called Freedom In Christ and these consolidated my faith

I did truly believe it all

I eventually got baptised on the 19th of January 2020
I believe that if you really were truly born again ,regenerated and recieved the Holy Spirit and you really knew the Lord . And ok, whilst being water baptised has nothing to do with being saved ( other than a 'figure ) if you were saved ,you cannot be unsaved .So you are still a Christian even if you say your 'resigning '. Its not a contract lol .

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I've finally done it...

I've quit

Am now going a different way - and hopefully my path won't be a lonely one.
With truly no disrespect intended, based upon your history of sudden pinball-like bouncing off one belief and then another, back and forth, up and down, left and right, all I can respond is, “That’s this week.....but who knows about next?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
With truly no disrespect intended, based upon your history of sudden pinball-like bouncing off one belief and then another, back and forth, up and down, left and right, all I can respond is, “That’s this week.....but who knows about next?
I can appreciate that from the outside I may seem volatile

But from my perspective I feel as though over time I have been making progress

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Reincarnation for roughly 90% of people
Deletion for roughly 9% of people (evil people)
Promotion for roughly 1% of people (exemplary people)
That does not sound like deism, however. It seems to imply an active God, effecting both "deletions" and promotions.