• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have no idea which religion would fit me the best

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well, the thing is, I really don't know what religion I would lean towards. I know I have always been intrigued by Buddhism but I don't know if my beliefs are compatible with Buddhism or not.

Mahayana yes, Theravada no

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
"The truth ain't like a bunch of puppies running around and you pick your favourite. There's one truth" - Emerson Cod -

Smoke

Done here.
"The truth ain't like a bunch of puppies running around and you pick your favourite. There's one truth" - Emerson Cod -

Anybody who thinks he's going to find The Truth in any religion, philosophy, or ideology is in for a big letdown.

ZooGirl02

Anybody who thinks he's going to find The Truth in any religion, philosophy, or ideology is in for a big letdown.

I don't understand. If that is the case, then where does one find the Truth? I tell you, I believe what the Apostle's Creed states so in a sense, I am still a Christian. However, I don't accept many of the ideas in the Bible and many of the man made rules that have been invented by Christians. I mean, Jesus never said a single word about homosexuals and homosexuality but yet some Christians seem to think that homosexuals and homosexuality should be condemned. I disagree. I think many Christians base this theology of theirs on the epistles of Paul in the Bible. Well, let's just say that I have a great deal of difficulty in accepting some of the things that Paul says in his epistles.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't understand. If that is the case, then where does one find the Truth?
I think Krishnamurti put it as well as anybody: "I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect. ... The moment you follow someone you cease to follow Truth."

And elsewhere: "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is the most destructive, evil thing. Leaders destroy the followers and followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well, the thing is, I really don't know what religion I would lean towards. I know I have always been intrigued by Buddhism but I don't know if my beliefs are compatible with Buddhism or not.

"Abandon all beliefs ye who enter the gate"

Be forewarned though. Buddhism is definitely Hotel California. ;O)

Requia

According to that thing I'm protestant
roglol.gif

cynic2005

Hinduism.

Religion is the imposition of another person's subjective truth. Besides religion, philosophy might also be your cup of tea. Try Humanism. Equality, freedom of speech, freedom of thought, these are all ideas that arose from the principles of the Enlightenment. So, history might also be of interest to you. Personally, I think we need another age of enlightenment.

Also, you don't have to have a particular religious preference. In my opinion, if you have your own belief system, then what is the point in searching for a compatible religion, unless if you are looking for some kind of solidarity with a group of people?

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

Well everyone, I have done some research and I think I have come to the conclusion that the Unitarian Universalist Association is probably the best choice for me. At least with Unitarian Universalism, I don't have to believe in a particular thing. I am free to follow my own path and yet have solidarity with others at the same time.

ZooGirl02

HI
first i want you to explain what is religion mean for you ?
because as far i see you want ready made religion fit for you
religion for me is orders and rules from god sent to us throw prophets
so simply you know what god want from you then it is your choice to follow or not follow
iam a moslem and suggest this for you
Islam Guide: A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam, Muslims, & the Quran
regards

Well, to me, religion is just a sort of systematic way of interacting with God. Anyway, thanks for the link. I have already done extensive research on Islam and have found that it is not the religion for me. But thanks anyway!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well everyone, I have done some research and I think I have come to the conclusion that the Unitarian Universalist Association is probably the best choice for me. At least with Unitarian Universalism, I don't have to believe in a particular thing. I am free to follow my own path and yet have solidarity with others at the same time.

Great choice :)

pharon85

Well, to me, religion is just a sort of systematic way of interacting with God. Anyway, thanks for the link. I have already done extensive research on Islam and have found that it is not the religion for me. But thanks anyway!
you are welcome

cynic2005

Glad to hear that you've made your decision!

ZooGirl02

Well, as it turns out, that was not to be my final choice. Yesterday I was contemplating things and I decided suddenly that I wanted to stay Catholic. You see, I just recently left the Catholic Church for a more liberal religion. Well, I realize now that I was doing that for sinful reasons. So, I went to Confession and Mass and am now in full communion with the Catholic Church again. :)

cynic2005

Well, as it turns out, that was not to be my final choice. Yesterday I was contemplating things and I decided suddenly that I wanted to stay Catholic. You see, I just recently left the Catholic Church for a more liberal religion. Well, I realize now that I was doing that for sinful reasons. So, I went to Confession and Mass and am now in full communion with the Catholic Church again. :)

*sigh*
Silly Zoogirl.

I don't get why the church is so adversarial towards sex. Honestly, I used to be Christian and was very chaste. Now, I feel like I'm inexperienced and inadequate... I feel like I missed out on various experiences that only come once.

You know, the exploration of one's sexuality is really not a bad thing...

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
You do realize as a roman catholic,
that even AFTER you are married,
you may not use birth control,
and you may not even participate in oral sex
unless it is foreplay leading to intercourse.

Oh and no masterbating.
(though if you were raised RC,
they've probably scared that basic human Self connection/pleasure
out of you already.)

Any of these things make you mortal sin hellbound.

Don't you just love a bunch of old men
dictating your sex life,
and making you confess to them
all kinds of personal stuff
that's absolutely no one's buisness but your own?
AS IF, you really need them to "stay out of hell",
or commune with god. :rolleyes:

So, Good luck with all of that.
If it fits you, who am I to say you shouldn't wear it.
Though I feel I should at least mention,
10 years of such restrictive apparal (in my adult years)
almost killed me.

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

*sigh*
Silly Zoogirl.

I don't get why the church is so adversarial towards sex. Honestly, I used to be Christian and was very chaste. Now, I feel like I'm inexperienced and inadequate... I feel like I missed out on various experiences that only come once.

You know, the exploration of one's sexuality is really not a bad thing...

No offense but I do not see how I am being silly at all. As far sex goes, the Church is not adversarial towards sex. However, it does view sex as something that is a very intimate thing between a man and a woman who are married to each other. God created sex just as He created marriage and humankind. He did intend for our sexual faculties to be misused through things like masturbation, adultery, fornication, and homosexual sex. It goes against the natural law. That said, I do not want to debate about this. I just wanted to post my views on it.

As for the exploration of one's sexuality, it is fine so long as one does not give in to temptation and engage in sinful activities.

You do realize as a roman catholic,
that even AFTER you are married,
you may not use birth control,
and you may not even participate in oral sex
unless it is foreplay leading to intercourse.

Oh and no masterbating.
(though if you were raised RC,
they've probably scared that basic human Self connection/pleasure
out of you already.)

Any of these things make you mortal sin hellbound.

Don't you just love a bunch of old men
dictating your sex life,
and making you confess to them
all kinds of personal stuff
that's absolutely no one's buisness but your own?
AS IF, you really need them to "stay out of hell",
or commune with god. :rolleyes:

So, Good luck with all of that.
If it fits you, who am I to say you shouldn't wear it.
Though I feel I should at least mention,
10 years of such restrictive apparal (in my adult years)
almost killed me.

Of course I realize this and I have absolutely no problem with it. I am actually a convert to the Catholic Church. I was raised Southern Baptist and then back in 2006, I entered into full communion with the Catholic Church on Easter Vigil. It was a glorious and sacred event and one that I truly do cherish. It is just that sometimes I have doubts. I hate having doubts and sometimes I act on those doubts. That is what I was doing lately.

Anyway, I don't wish to debate sexuality here in this thread. I have stated my views only so that you know how I feel.

I am a Christian. Historic and orthodox Christian teaching has always taught that the use of contraception to prevent procreation, masturbation, fornication, adultery, homosexual sex is against God's law. I realize that some of you have a problem with that but it is not something that I will apologize for. I feel no need to apologize for the fact that I believe this is God's law and that everyone should follow it. However, I do not wish to offend you all although I realize that there is the potential for you to be offended. That is not my purpose in posting this though. It is only to state my views.

That said, I respect the beliefs of everyone else, why can't my own beliefs be respected as well? I really don't feel as though they are being respected that much when people post and basically seem like they are trying to get me to not be Catholic by telling how the Catholic Church is so wrong. I know that you may not have explicitly done that but in comes across that way if you know what I mean.

May God bless you,
ZooGirl02

Requia

Since when do Catholics pay any attention at all to the what the church says they should do?